[2011 Matchday 2] Philadelphia Union vs Vancouver | 2011 March 26

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hippanonymous

Hippanonymous Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: Gameday March 26, 2011: Philadelphia vs Vancouver [R]

I have no issue with the goal, or Hassli being sent off as far as that goes. Sure it was an iffy call but for him to put himself in that situation after already getting a yellow was pure stupidity.
    As time went after his first yellow it seemed inevitable to me that he'd pick up a 2nd. He pushed his luck more than once and finally got nailed.

My only complaint is the abuse Harris took throughout. Worse than Hassli's 2nd yellow (or anything else in the game for that matter) and went uncalled.
    Oh well...no point bitching about the refs.

When healthy I'm really liking the look of this squad, could very well be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

2. Doom Boy

Doom Boy Member

Nov 21, 2007

Van fans:

As a five-year TFC season ticket holder, I can share your sentiments about the refereeing. I don't know what USSF officials were like, but the reffing in MLS is, at the most flattering, inconsistent. From what I saw, the officiating at the VWFC-TFC match last week was pretty good by MLS standards. From what I saw of the highlights of the Union game, you've got every right to feel jobbed on this one (although the second card on Hassli seemed warranted).

3. cartan

cartan New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Portugal FC

I slowed the ABC video and it was definitely offside!! It wasn't Ruiz that was offside, it was the number 9 player receiving the back heel pass from number 19 just before he passes it to Ruiz for the offside goal.. :mad:

[​IMG]http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/cartan1/philly-offside-goal.jpg?t=1301248620
    [​IMG]

4. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009

You bringing this up is as relevant as me posting this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VIgMaR1PVs"]YouTube - Guatemala vrs Canada[/ame]

But uh, good luck with that though.

5. soccerman90

soccerman90 Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In your picture the ball is being headed by a Vancouver player. When the ball was originally struck by a Union player (I believe it was Nakazawa), Le Toux (#9) was onside. So when Nakazawa hit it Le Toux and Ruiz were onside. Then when the ball deflected off the Vancouver player Le Toux and Ruiz were past all the defenders but that doesnt matter because they were onside when Nakazawa shot the ball

6. RicoAzzurro

RicoAzzurro Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Thank you an honest observation.

7. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Regardless of the other antics in the match, the referee was crap and the goal shouldn't count, the score should be level 0-0. This happens in football we all know it sucks so I can live with it. But just to show that it was indeed offside I've done an example below. I read FIFA Law 11 to gather this info. I know, a bit over the top but it's Sunday and I'm a bit bored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. soccerman90

soccerman90 Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The player who you show as offside is past the last defender but he is in no way a part of the play as the ball was not played to him and he did not touch the ball. Sorry. Most of the Vancouver fans here seem to understand this which is good.

9. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Point taken, I read the rules further and should probably had read it more thoroughly, and I have no problem being corrected. The offside rule does my head in big time.

A player in an offside position doesn't have to be called offside as long as he isn't gaining an advantage, playing the ball, or obstructing an opponent.

10. Ded�

Ded� New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Did the fact he was offside nit benefit him though when the ball deflected to him?

11. norfcath57

norfcath57 Member

May 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I checked the Vancouver Sunday newspaper's article on the game. It seems that even the Whitecaps coach was angry at the red-carded player for a lack of discipline.
    Nor did I read anywhere that anyone but some Vancouver fans are bringing up the question of offsides on Ruiz's goal.
    I had a lot of good feelings about Vancouver's entering MLS. Some of them have been dissipated by being called "classless." Other than the idiotic chanting of "USA, USA," for which I sincerely apologize,why are we "classless"?
    In any case, you have a really nice team to be proud of.

12. Neals1964

Neals1964 Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Valley forge
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whitecap fans should be mad at Hassli. The dude has some talent but lacks discipline. If he had done as the ref ask early on the yellow cards would have remained in the pocket. There were a lot of "after the play" shots on both sides.

13. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hassli was a ticking time bomb -- the question was not if, but when he was going to be sent off. If the guy can channel his rage he will be an absolute beast to deal with for opposing defenders.

There were some crunching tackles for both sides, but Harris was lucky to survive the match with his leg bones intact.

Overall, this was an unlucky result for Vancouver who looked to be the better team for most of the match.

14. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I've not heard anything about his past play that makes it sound like this is normal for Hassli. My guess is that he is just getting a feel for the league. Dichio figured things out; Hassli will too I'm sure.

To the Philly poster who thinks that only Vancouver fans saw an offside, I'd encourage him/her to read the Week 2 thread in News & Analysis; people from all camps across the league came down on both sides of the issue. When the ball is played across the box, the scorer does appear off side by the stride of one leg. (I just completed a FIFA referee refresher course two weeks ago, and I can assure you that is is definitely offside. Though I agree that it was an impossible call for an AR to make, given the run of play.)

15. bdon

bdon New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

All in all, a bad performance by the caps. Yes even i can admit that red card was coming, but was assuming the ref would even it up, but that was a fruitless hope. Hasili needs to realize that these defenders will be going after him and forcing him into aggressive situations. The best part i found of the red card was it exposed our biggest problems as a team, weak mid field play (naflan needs to be glued to the bench) and our lack of starting cbs, which as a fan is good to hear and easily fixed. But at the end of the day that was a game we should have won, and as a union fan id be really upset knowing an expansion team came into my building, and drove the play till a red card came and ultimately changed the game. Next up Kansas city, hopefully we can show our class again at home and bribe the u20 american team to loan us our own player for the weekend lol. (ps wether that goal was on side or off side, the team who deserved to win won)

16. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

In hindsight, and after re watching the match, I'll never get that 1.5 hrs back.... Hassli did indeed deserve red, by the laws of the game... but Califf and Valdez could also have seen red (straight reds) which would have turned the game in even mroe favor to the Caps pre-Hassli-sending off.

The ref was a joke. full stop. The Caps showed some immaturity (Hassli most) and Philly played up the poor ref to their advantage, and albeit classless: kudos to them, they don't award points for class, they award points for wins and draws.

Roll on April 2....

17. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not here to troll, but if people still have an issue with the goal not being called offside, here's an article with some screen shots to give a better idea.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Take-Two-Why-Carlos-Ruizs-goal-was-onside.html

And before everyone goes crazy saying the article is from philly.com, Tannenwald is pretty objective with these pieces. Later on in the article he calls out Union fans on the empty seats in club sections. (I guess some of them were hiding from the cold in the stadium club.)

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what it's worth, they weren't.

Union Not Taking Expansion Whitecaps Lightly

19. cartan

cartan New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Portugal FC
  20. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't see photobucket at work, sorry.

I didn't write the article or decide what pictures to include. Feel free to email Jon.

21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For the record, Jack McInerney (#19) didn't actually touch the ball, even though from the angle of your pic it looks like it.

Here's a highlight video pretty much right in line with the action from the bridge side of the stadium (Section 132 maybe?). From the 3:11 mark is the shot from Miglioranzi and subsequent play. I can't say I'm uber-familiar with the offsides rule, but at the point where the ball is deflected by a Whitecaps player, Le Toux is a step or 2 behind the defenders. Is he offsides at that moment, or is it considered the moment when Migz shoots the ball? :confused:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erTGX9-dzL0"]Highlights from Union v Whitecaps[/ame]

22. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

[​IMG]
    this is the same as the photobucket link but slightly better quality, the only thing we should be thinking about now is Sporting Kansas will get back at the union later this year:D

23. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Watch out. :p

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  24. Hippanonymous

Hippanonymous Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Your ability to morph between being a complete dick in one thread and a rational adult in another ON THE SAME TOPIC is commendable.

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What are you going on about? :confused:

What thread - in the Vancouver section - was I being this "complete dick"?

:rolleyes: