2011 Hot Seat and /or Getting Warm Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by bigbounce1, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So, what does our collective intellect reckon that Chris Petrucelli will be doing next fall???

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I'm pretty sure they had to buy out his contract ( as I recollect it, that was the case), so he probably has little incentive to find immediate employment.

I have no idea what the retirement package is for UT employees.

3. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would bet anything unlv goes after an asst coach from a top conference with solid connections with the west coast clubs. The pay is not great and it will be tough to get a family man/women to move their family to Vegas for a low salary.

4. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget, he was "reassigned" within the athletic department, which should mean he's still collecting a paycheck. He's listed as a special assistant to Plonsky as is former director of ops Luke Nelson. What he does as a "special assistant" I don't know, but I bet if I were offered that gig with the money he's getting for it that I'd take it in a heartbeat.

http://www.texassports.com/staffdir/tex-staffdir.html

http://www.texassports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/120311aaa.html

5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    It's what you do when the change is amicable and the employee is still under contract. It allows him to keep his phone and computer access while looking for another job. It's not likely you'll see him out on any "special assignments" for UT. He probably golfs a lot.

6. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm hearing that folks on the HC search committee @ Cornell are not privy to the delay that the AD is playing out right now on the soccer HC search. I cannot get any finalist names, but the current group has some different candidates from the first go-around?? There's a HC search for volleyball running concurrent with the HC soccer search @ CU and the AD has not made an annoucement on either sport yet. Oh, no commitment on an announcement timeframe from the AD. Who knows what's up in Ithaca? - apparently only the AD & he's taking his time... :confused:

7. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Word is that Jon Morgan can't find another assistant to work with him. The reason being is that Maryland only gave him a 2-year contract. Can see why that would keep people away. Not easy to coach for that program with only 2 people on staff.

And Cornell, seriously what is going on there. The coach was let go in mid-January. That was 2 1/2 months ago. During that time they're losing recruits and probably not accomplishing a whole lot over the spring. And they have some serious work to do there and they just keep losing time. If this is how they handle a head coach search then it's probably not a place worth working for.

8. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SoccerTrustee - Well said on both counts! How does a D-1 job search run for going on 80-days with no end in sight? The Big Red is falling behind on all accounts that you so aptly noted. I feel for the team and 2012 recruits...
    :(

9. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    They would have had at least 1 of half a dozen top D3 coaches on the job within the first month....any would be doing a heck of a lot better job during this time lost than ANY D 1, 2 or assistant will be able to do from now!

I think they were too picky and shot to high thinking a higher level pool of D1 coaches were interested.....

10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Not exactly accurate unless you mean "can't find another assistant...from a current ACC staff or from his close circle of coaching colleagues"

If this job where advertised, he'd get 50+ apps and many would do a good job on a year to year basis. Is he going to get another ACC assistant to come over to MD for 30-40K, probably not. There are at least a dozen MD alums who would do it, and some right there in the area, but he's not interested for whatever reason.

11. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UNLV has been doing phone interviews this week...No timetable set on bringing people to campus.

12. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    APRIL is upon us.....3 jobs still open....?????

Cornell (at least 1 maybe 2 have turned down offers)
    USC-Upstate (apparently 2 have already turned down offers)
    UNLV (*shrug*)

13. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    USC Upstate has hired Abbey Crumpton???????

14. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Yup....salary range hire!

15. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Today marks 80-days since Cornell University last had a head coach women's soccer. I'm thinking Mr. Noel has really done a smashing job on this "cloak & dagger" style coaching search... what, re-posting it and all plus there's no end in sight! Perhaps something will be done after Easter... or not.

16. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Joel Person has resigned as head coach at Francis Marion. Up to four vacancies at DI level now.

17. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Kind of late for this type of decision huh? Makes you wonder what happened? They should have remained DII.

18. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    They are D2 in everything but men's golf and women's soccer. How did that happen and where are they headed?

19. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC

There are actually a few schools out there like that: Colorado College is one example....Nebraska Wesleyan competes at the NAIA and D III levels in various sports...weird!

Maybe look for High Point assistant to go back home to FMU....hears she turned down Upstate job....this job will be given to an assistant more than likely!

20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    High Point assistants are from Maryland and married. They were recruited to FMU and would do well if they went back I'd guess. Do they want to go back to the bottom of DI? At least High Point is an average DI program with a nice campus. The AD at FMU is actually a soccer person so he'll have plenty of people in mind...

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Out West there are lots of schools that play mixed programs of NAIA and NCAA. There is no NCAA restriction on playing other sports outside the NCAA.

BYU even plays Men's soccer in the Professional Development League.

It's usually for travel reasons. In some areas for some sports it may be a long distance between schools. They also do it if they want to offer differing levels of scholarships in different sports. Portland was NAIA in soccer and some other sports until the mid 1980's.

Seven schools are grandfathered for D1 in one or two sports and can offer scholarships in that sport and keep the rest of their sports non-scholarship. Colorado College in soccer( and Men's Hockey), Hopkins in Lacrosse, 3 schools in ice hockey, and MIT in mens and womens rowing come to mind (even though men's rowing is not an NCAA sport). I think somebody in wrestling, maybe.

Georgetown had a mixed level of participation until 1992, until the NCAA decided that schools that had a revenue sport had to be all at the higher level of participation under the theory that they had a funding advantage.

Other schools can have mixed divisions but can't offer the higher scholarship level. Hobart is D3 in most sports, but plays D1 Lacrosse, but can't offer athletic scholarships.

I suspect Francis Marion has to offer D2 level of scholarships for their D1 soccer soccer program.
    So, 9.9 instead of 12 scholarship equivalents.

22. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It's not "weird" - it's the result of things that have happened at these schools (and often, in sports that aren't sponsored at all NCAA levels). CC has always competed in D1 hockey and they made women's soccer D1 as a Title IX move (the rest of their dept. is D3). Most other schools that are split like that have some sort of reason - like Johns Hopkins with D1 lacrosse.

Presumably there's a reason for the golf/soccer D1 thing and a history behind it. It'd be nice to get that back story . . .

23. WestWind

WestWind Member

Nov 28, 2011

24. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006