2011 Hot Seat and /or Getting Warm Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by bigbounce1, Jul 23, 2011.

1. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sure UNLV will be doing some interviews this weekend while coaches will be out there recruiting. My bet would be a top asst from a top 25 program.

Cornell will be a wild card. Tough job and I'm sure the people that have had interviews already are very upset with the job getting reposted.

Who was the person that led to the position being re posted?

2. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    No top 25 assistant would go to UNLV when the money there getting would be the same/or less and double the work load. I think UNLV will go for a young coach again. Cornell will go for experience maybe someone who's been out of coaching for a little bit, the best thing about the Cornell job to who ever gets it theres only once place to go and thats up!!

3. TXstar12

TXstar12 Member

Dec 16, 2009
    DFW
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    USC UPSTATE, I heard former Clemson, Syracuse assistant will be offered the job? Is married to a coach involved with CESA?

Cornell: Well I don't even think they know. A number of people were asked to re apply. Seems like a mess.

UNLV......That maybe interesting this late in the process? My guess is an assistant, from MWC or bigger conference?

4. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Abby I like her she will do well.

5. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For which job? CU or UNLV.

6. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Upstate!

Assistant at average to less than average programs....moving to town anyways by virtue of her marriage to the new DOC of CESAR soccer club....female....cheap!

Good luck Spartans.....

7. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Was CESAR intentional if so kinda funny? Abby is very nice and seems knowledgeable from what I know of SU she was tasked with a lot of the tactical game plan.

She has has to work on her recruiting demeanor with girls but she is still young and I think this is a good fit for her.

8. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    How can any college coaching position be a good fit for someone that needs to "work on her coaching demeanor with girls, and is still young?

9. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    When its one of the worst college soccer programs in the nation (outside the SWAC) and they want to pay less than local school teachers are making...

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As A USC-Upstate Alumni, I would like to know more about the new women's team hire. Is this Abby Crumpton you guys are talking about?

Don't know much about her other then watching her play back in the WUSA days. Also if you are talking about the Carolina Elte Soccer Academy (CESA), I thought that Andrew Hyslop was the DOC?
    Confused.

Instead of one sentence snippets, more details folks, please.

Also to those who say it is the worst soccer program in the nation, well when I played there it was one of the best in the nation before it went to DIV 1. Frank Kohlenstein started the men's program and brought it to NAIA and then Div 2 prominence. We had players from all over the country and world.

What's going on now, I have no idea.

11. TXstar12

TXstar12 Member

Dec 16, 2009
    DFW
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    MRAD12,
    I played and coached against Abby, a great player. Not ready for a head DI coaching position (Only a few yrs of assistant coaching under her belt.) I know of a few qualified DI assistants, and Head coaches at the DII and III level that have applied for the position. But, they have not heard ANYTHING from USC Upstate. So as am Alumni....you should be concerned with your Admins ability to hire the right person? As a current club coach I would be concerned that they are hiring a coach with only about a month left in the school year. Plus one of the conditions of the new HC is that you have to keep the current assistant on for at least a year? They are really showing the commitment to the program (If this is the type of hire they are making?) not to mentioning they are handcuffing the new head coach in regards to getting a fresh start, and getting enough time to really evaluate the program, players, and recruits. IMHO.

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I agree with MRAD. It is very frustrating to try to follow this thread when posters use initials or first names and oblique references such that most of us readers have no clue as to who or what is being talked about.

If posters intend to address one or two insiders, then start your own insiders thread or send a personal message. These forums should be interesting to hundreds of us divided into topics of interest, not puzzles with no context.

13. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    USC Upstate-Worst meaning statistically the last place team in the Massey ratings outside the SWAC Conference - ranked 312 of 321 teams. I'm sure other stats and observers would conclude- it's pretty bad for DI soccer.
    Why?
    Based on what I've heard first hand from good sources it is a very basic dilemma - the previous coach over recruited a high number of under qualified players. She just brought tons of kids in on money to see what would stick to the wall. Kids good D3's didn't recruit. This resulted in terrible chemistry within the team and many of the coaches decisions compounded the problem and so many players have left or are only sticking it out because of the money or nearness to graduation.

Basically, it's a total rebuilding project. Could it be done? Of course. Who is likely to try it? Younger, inexperienced, in a current poor or unstable situation, already out of work, or a glutton for punishment - are likely characteristics of the next coach.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does this have to be a female coach? I know several former USCS (USC-Upstate) players, several of who were my teammates that are very qualified.
    Carlos Osorio (Assistant at Wofford men) and Joe Lorenz (former assistant to Robbie Church at Vanderbilt), come to mind.

15. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    She did have a stellar 5-12 record at Anderson as the HC. She bailed after one season.

16. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm curious where you got this information on Midge Purce. I read two weeks ago she was uncommitted.

17. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm hearing no HC annoucement at Cornell this week since the AD doesn't want to make an announcement during spring break (this week)... next week perhaps. This whole thing is a debacle... :eek:

18. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoken perfectly. Although after a few years it seems a few people get some kind of satisfaction out of that game. I think it's great so many people are interested enough in college women's soccer that they've sought out and found the Big Soccer board. But some posters make it difficult to stay involved and interested with the many different threads and topics on here.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It seems some posters who may have or think they may have the inside scoop on something are anxious to tell what it is, but don't want to be the ones responsible for doing it.

20. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It's a bit of a balancing act. People want to share information, but they have a legitimate concern about burning sources, spreading what turns out to be false info, or causing problems for people who's careers are in a vulnerable moment. Each poster has to kind of pick and choose how to handle it.

Obviously some choices are going to be pretty idiosyncratic.

21. footycoach9

footycoach9 Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    that was 2 weeks ago, mate. tons can happen within hours.

22. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    So any word from Vegas on who is in the running?

23. cmonyougulls

cmonyougulls Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    dan abdalla back to vegas?

24. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I don't see a coach going back like that. TCU was a huge step up from UNLV, also think UNLV will want a to bring in a coach with a low salary, I can see them going young again with a rookie head coach.

25. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Back to the future...