2011 Hot Seat and /or Getting Warm Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by bigbounce1, Jul 23, 2011.

1. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cornell looks the be Farmer's job if he wants it.

2. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC

The Walrus re-surfaces....talk about a retread....but, he does know Ithaca! Can you tell me though, what experience he has in recruiting highly academic student/athletes? He's success at Ithaca College was many years ago!

3. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Farmer at Cornell, really?! That would be absurd. Surprised he even got an interview if this is true. You would think Cornell would have learned by now about making bad hires. Word is that Paula Wilkins doesn't let him do any coaching at Wisconsin, with good reason. He singlehandedly drove Syracuse into the ground while he was the head coach there. May have been a successful coach back in the day at Division III but the game has passed him by.

4. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hopefully Farmer will pass on CU if he gets offered the job. The women that have played for this guy do not have much positive to say about him. The last two schools where this guy was a HC he had a losing record (32-52-9 combined) I'll give Farmer a pass @ TN Tech but how do you not recruit top notch players to Syracuse with scholarships and a Big East conference affiliation? Gag... if CU wants a re-tread coach why not get one that people/players like. Farmer last had a winning team back when he coached at PSU ('94-'00)

Moreover, he's never had to recruit at a school even approaching the academic requirements of the Ivy League (Ithaca College, Penn State, Tennessee Tech, Syracuse & Wisconsin). Forgive me but I do not see any school that I just listed that does not have a 75% acceptance rate for all applicants. He currently handles none of the recruiting at Wisconsin.

This would be a massive "head scratcher" I have to think Cornell's AD is a bit smarter than this ...:eek:

5. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You would have thought the Mercer AD would be smart as well....oops, maybe not!

Hard to disagree with either of the last 2 posts...he couldn't have been the "best" of the pool of applicants....could he?

6. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I guess Patrick Baker didn't apply... :D

7. Lanesra6

Lanesra6 New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Oy vey! Name the darn coach already Cornell! My DD needs to make a few decisions.

8. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Im sure the schools have your DD in mind during their time frame for announcing a coach.
    Cornell will be another 2-3-4 weeks.

9. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Is that because the pool is too good or too weak....or worse, people are turning it down, had a few of those this off season!

10. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Expect Cornell to announce this week, or my on campus friends are not paying attention.

11. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    D-III Carleton College in Northfield, MN (great liberal arts school) is now advertising for an HC for their women's program. The current HC resigned a couple weeks ago and had a 79-31-12 record over 6-years...

12. socfan60

socfan60 Member

May 6, 2001
    Only if you have never seen him coach, talked to any of his former players or seen the coaching dynamic at Wisconsin

Farmer can still out coach 99.9% of those out there.
    No I am not him
    Yes he is a friend
    They would be lucky to have him

13. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wonder if people in other professions squabble as much as we do about who can outdo others! In stead of "out coach" maybe bar tenders "out pour," math teachers "out teach" and taxi drivers "out drive" each other!! How can we prove Farmer can out coach someone? Does it matter that badly??? Surely what matters more is if he is a good enough coach to work with the players he has and get the best out of them while giving athletes a good experience and developing a program in a positive manner; hence becoming more successful.

14. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Surely what matters more is if he is a good enough coach to work with the players he has and get the best out of them while giving athletes a good experience and developing a program in a positive manner; hence becoming more successful.

You must have been asked what is "your coaching phil" once before because that is a great answer.

But how you really tell if they are can coach is very easy to measure at the Division One level. Just look at their W's & L's. That is how they evaluated.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hahaha totally agree with you! We cannot judge the aforementioned points from a distance so we reall have no measurable way of saying how a good a coach someone in apart from based on win- loss records etc. I just think it's silly saying coach x out coaches everyone else when it is hard to define out coaching due to too many variables. Therefore win-loss is the only real basis we can use.

16. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    32-52-9... seems the only "out coaching" going on at his last (2) D-I Head Coaching stops (34.41 win %) was being done by his opponents... ;)

17. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    The guy spent one season at Tenn Tech, moved the needle forward, then took over at Syracuse. I think he made progress at SU, but the program had been DOWN for a long time (how well funded are they?/were they?) and it was going to take anyone a while to turn that ship around (actually that mission has yet to be accomplished - they were under .500 again this year, and I don't think they've EVER made the tournament or anything).

He left Penn State at a pinnacle, did well with NY in the WUSA, and the Badgers have certainly improved during his time there - if you want to give all the credit to Wilkins I don't think she'd agree with you in that or in your assessment of Farmer. After watching some of the clowns who've been hired this year (cough, Mercer, cough), I think Farmer would be a refreshingly wise choice for Cornell. My question for Farmer is why he would want to get involved in a rebuilding project that could take most of a decade . . .

18. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wrong on your memory about SU women's soccer, I think. When Farmer got to SU they had exactly (2) losing season out of (7) seasons under April Kater. She went 88-57-8 as HC at SU, but her last (2) seasons she went 12-19-4 - not really "DOWN for a long time". Farmer augered SU to new lows unseen by SU women's soccer prior to his arrival - 4-straight losing seasons.

To be sure you're correct about one thing, CU could hire a worse choice than Farmer, but there's certainly better choices for a coach; even with a "rebuilding" task like Cornell. Moreover at 60+ do you really think he's up for the recruiting tasks?

19. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I remember they'd been losing and had NO returning talent when he took over. I think very highly of April, but she had checked out and I'm assuming that I'm right and they NEVER made the tournament, so we're nit-picking. Farmer didn't take over a team with bright prospects, he had to rebuild from the ground up with (I suspect) minimal resources in a very tough league.

Cornell and Ivy recruiting might be a good match for him, actually, and improving the team will immediately make an impact on your record in the Ivy League.

20. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well Farmer had one thing at SU that he'd not have at CU... scholarships. I'm not sure I follow your logic on his ability to recruit in the Ivy, especially without any financial (scholarship) bullets in his gun. BTW, SU was in the NCAA Championship tournament in '98 & '01.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no horse in this race. In response to a poster's inquiry about Syracuse on another thread early in the 2011 season, however, I looked back at Syracuse's record over the last four or five years. I concluded that they had maintained about the same record from year to year, but against progressively more difficult schedules. I don't remember the details now, sorry. But it seems to me that indicates progress.

22. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    It's the only readily available means but it still doesn't mean it's the best or correct way. If the worst funded team in a conference manages to finish at the top or even top half year after year is that coach successful? The overall W-L record might not reflect success based on what most would consider it to be, but is doing more with less the sign of a successful coach or not?

The question is somewhat rhetorical because the bottom line reality is that most administrators don't factor this into the equation when they review resumés, but then again we know administrators aren't necessarily known for making the best choices when it comes to soccer.

23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah I guess we will never have a truly great basis for comparison between coaches. Ultimately, this forum is great because we get to speculate about jobs and abilities of coaches without the majority of us ever really knowing how good another coach is (for the most part); how would Anson Dorrance do at a UNLV? How would the Pitt coach do at Wake Forest? We just have too many variables and circumstance can mean a lot. The awesome thing is the way in which we enjoy the merry go round and all it entails.

So, USC Upstate? Think Anson should put his name in and show how good he is by building a national contender there?!!

24. Lanesra6

Lanesra6 New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Interesting reading. Syracuse is also in our top 3.

25. NutInButNet

NutInButNet Member

Jun 8, 2011