2011 FC Porto Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'FC Porto' started by Chacal, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time 0-0, looked like Kleber wanted a penalty just before the final whistle (stream kept cutting in an out).

Anyways, not a huge deal to draw this match considering that we were down to 10 men for about 65 minutes. Looking forward to seeing the guys play again tomorrow vs FC Verl, and hopefully we'll get a better result.

2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It wasn't an intentional handball from our defender (Kleber headed the ball from 1m distance at his arm), so rightfully no pk in my eyes.

Yep, your guys played pretty well even in numerical inferiority (no wonder when knowing that they are EuroLeague winners). Unfortunately, the heavy rain and soaked pitch didn't allow a better game from both teams. After all, there's been some good scoring opportunities on both sides (especially after the interval).

That should be out of question. ;)

Good luck for your upcoming season.

3. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^

Thanks a lot for the updates and nice words, Borussia. Definitely a very good workout for Porto tonight against a solid, professional Bundesliga side.

Best of luck this season to you guys as well.

4. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    dont know if this is right thread but im putting this here since the copa america is kinda almost a pre season for our south american players.
    *spoiler alert if you are going to watch games later*

colombia fell to peru 2-0 in a very exciting game after extra time.
    late in the 2nd half (can't remember exact but think 70th minute ish) colombia gets a pk awarded, falcao steps up, and misses. capped a disappointing and ineffective game for him.

guarin on the other hand, had a very good game in my opinion. pretty good passing some great shots on goal, almost single handedly won the game late when he dribbled past a few players put a beautiful shot on goal only for it to be denied by the post. overall very solid game for him tho, IMO.

5. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks for the updates, guys. Does anyone know if there is a download of this match somewhere?

6. PortoDragons

PortoDragons Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We just defeated Verl 3-1. We were down 1-0 after 3 minutes but goals came from Kleber (2 goals, 26th & 51st minute) and Hulk scored a penalty in the 37th minute

7. Jolivander

Jolivander Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Didn't watch the game but 3-1 over that team isn't very impressive. Hopefully we'll do better vs Rio Ave.

8. PortoDragons

PortoDragons Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Colombia should have absolutely won this game. They were all over them for most of it, hit at least 2 posts, Falcao's missed penalty (so disappointing). And the 2 Peru goals in extra time were both awful mistakes.

Guarin was FANTASTIC. His flash of brilliance in the 90th minute would have been the highlight of the entire tournament. Too bad the shot was half saved/crossbar.

Guarin is an absolute fantastic player, the creative midfielder every team would die for. Unbelievable vision and what a cannon of a shot on him!

It was nice to see Messi & Argentina go home after a very disappointing and short tournament :D

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I was kind of happy to see Falcao and Guarin lose, only because we get them on the squad soon. :eek: I know, pretty selfish.

10. TeSo

TeSo Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I was heart broken... Colombia lost pretty unfairly in my opinion. Guarin and Falcao were beastly, but the rest of the team was soft. Poor Falcao had a horrible time (he played so good, but his effort was forgotten with his misses, especially that PK)

11. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    really? i thought it was a very exciting game. colombia owned the first half, but peru fought very hard IMO and altho it was won with a goal that was a bit opportunistic, i wouldn't say that peru didn't deserve a win.

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    IMO, Falcao was left stranded. Not much support up there. Guarin was a beast.

13. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    me too. the team was less than a sum of its parts

14. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, we kick off in a couple of minutes vs Rio Ave...I can't watch the match here at work unfortunately, but there should be plenty of streams for those of you that can.

Here's our starting XI:

Bracali
    Sapunaru-Rolando-Otamendi-Fucile
    Fernando
    Moutinho-Ruben Michael
    Djalma-Kleber-Varela

Bench: Beto, Kadu, David, Sereno, Maicon, Addy, Souza, Castro, Belluschi, Kelvin, Walter and Christian Atsu

15. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    fcp 1-Rio ave 0
    Kleber gets the goal

16. PortoDragons

PortoDragons Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    2-0 12 minutes in lol. 8th min goal (header by kleber) and 12th min by moutinho (corner kick that curved off the post and in)

17. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What's with the yellow jersey? Why not the new ones?

18. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    FCP 2 - Rio Ave 1
    goal by Tomas on a penalty

19. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We usually see the new jerseys unveiled at our own presentation game, so I'm guessing that we'll get those this weekend when we host Penarol.

PS: Thanks for the updates on the game guys!

20. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I know, but this year the jerseys were already officially unveiled with a ceremony and everything so it doesn't make much sense to not play them now. I guess they could have unveiled them right before the presentation game.

21. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's true, I guess they just insist on having everything done at the presentation game.

If I remember correctly, we'll probably see them wear the home jersey in the first half vs Penarol, and the away for the 2nd...look forward to it!

22. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    FCP 3-Rio Ave

Kleber again from a Fucile cross.

23. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, Kleber, what a nice signing!

I hope Falcao stays and bangs in the goals like last year, but Kleber is really showing why Porto have wanted him for over a year now! :D

24. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Kleber looks good. With some luck we might even let Falcao go for 40M in the winter transfer window to Chelsea. :)

More seriously, it's still early but he looks the real deal. Djalma is not going to cut it, IMO, but Kelvin might (or turn out to be a headless chicken). Again, early to tell.

25. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Varela looks very sharp as well, finally recovered form after those injuriesat the tail end of last season.