2011-2012 Serie A campaign (R)

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by phillips10, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Stinky_Wizzleteats

Stinky_Wizzleteats New Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Re: 2010-2011 Serie A campaign (R)

Massively important point we defended brilliantly. The game plan came off perfectly.

2. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England

Someone PLEASE explain to me why Lazio did not wear their traditional shirt tonight?

3. Stinky_Wizzleteats

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Have to sell the away strip aswell!

4. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England

What is football coming to?

5. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Argh. Lazio is really lacking the keys to unlock a defense. I wish Mauri would find his form again, Matuzalem to return, and Zarate/Hernanes with more teamplay.

Overall a good result, extremely lucky with the post shot but I'll take it. Can't wait for Sunday. Hopefully Zarate returns with a fire in his belly.....or anything positive. :eek:

6. Stinky_Wizzleteats

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

After the strikers we were linked with in January the starting line up yesterday against Milan was an alarm for Lazio fans. Kozak and Sculli? Im sorry but no, Champions League football? I feel our lack of transfer market buying power will come back to haunt us. Especially if Roma have their usual end of season crazy unbeaten run. Didnt Klose say he would welcome an approach from Lazio? What a mistake this could be Lotito.

7. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The strike force is worrisome. Kozak has come through for us this year, and has been a pleasant surprise. Sculli, two games is tough to judge him, but he's definitely does not have the kind of firepower we needed to make a big push. I hope I'm wrong.

However, what bothers me the most is the midfield. Genuine chances during the run of play are few and far between. Barring the counter attacks, Lazio has struggled breaking down a defense. Zarate and Hernanes have not been using the space they create to enhance their passing games. Mauri has not been the same since the beginning of the season. The result is the midfield completely out of ideas, leaving the strikers starved for service around the box. At least that has been my observation. I still wish we had gotten Matri or something. :eek:

8. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Exactly.. Mr Hobbles, looks like you are into Lazio more than you were before.. am i wrong?

Your observations are dead on. Kozak deserves every opportunity he gets out there. He has given Lazio already so many more extra points in this season. Though our strikers in quality is not as bad as it seems. The service they get is not the best as Hernanes is way too inconsistant and Mauri forgot how to play soccer again. With these two doing very well at the season start, the goals were coming in steady and with quality. Now it seems we need to tough out a goal and rely on the great defense we have shown to have this season.

Champions League will be competed for with Napoli Riom ..I guess we can assume the two Milano teams will be there and Juventus should they finally find their tactic. Its going to be a bumpy ride to the end and we need to beat the lower table teams like the scheduale says coming up if we have any chance to push for champions league. No more slip-ups or else we will be praying for Europa League.

9. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Lotito has always managed the club on a tight budget, I'm not sure why that is surprising anyone. I'm curious to see if Kozak is the real deal.

10. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A pleasant side affect of Lazio's position in the table means they appear on ESPN3 every week. Since I live in California, and the games can be on extremely early here, I can now watch a replay of the game at a more reasonable hour. As a result I have only missed a handful of games, mostly the Coppa games before the derby.

11. Stinky_Wizzleteats

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Kozak should not be starting. But that would have just left Zarate and Sculli which is a dreadful strikeforce. You watch us slip down the table now.

12. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ARGH. Two goal line clearances, two dropped points. Seems appropriate.

The return of Matuzalem was a welcome sight. Lazio dominated possession but really struggled to create anything around the box. All the offense came from set pieces.

Speaking of set pieces, what the hell was Reja thinking taking Zarate off? In the closing minutes of the game we had three free kicks and one corner, but no one to send in a quality cross. Zarate in the run of play was mediocre, but he provided quality crosses that Bresciano could not replicate.

The defense, oh shit Radu got hurt. Scaloni was okay for a while, but ended up giving Chievo two quality chances on goal. On the goal conceded, wow, everybody fell asleep. The cross really seemed like it could have been cleared before it reached Cesar.

********. :mad:

13. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Sorry for late response, but please do post as I do enjoy reading your thoughts.

An unfortunate result against chievo Verona. Our defense were rock solid all game and muslera for some odd reason had has feet planted to the ground and let it go by the 6 yard box. Though unfortunate goals like these do happen often which means we can't rely on a 1 goal lead especiLly versus very winnable game.

We need 3 points against Bari or risk falling down further in the table. Do not lose hope though as we do have a champions league spot still.

Forza Lazio!

14. Stinky_Wizzleteats

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

3 points today are crucial. With Lazio away I can usually settle for a draw but if we drop points I can see a plummet down the table. The performance in this game will mark where we will finish in the table. If we are positive and win there isnt a reason why we cant get into Europe. If we drop points against a relegation side we dont deserve to finish in the top 4. We just dont score enough goals. Which makes me furious after the strikers we were linked with in January. Zarate and Floccari will probably start on the bench, Mauri and Rocchi are injured. Radu is injured at the back aswell which is going to cause a problem.

15. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  16. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Mauri has broken down after his excellent start. It's a shame, he really was excellent. I think Antonio Candreva could be good for Lazio. That's who I would buy if I were Lotito.

17. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, Mauri has been out of form for a while now. However, I believe he is due to swing back around at some point in the remainder of the season.

I'm also anxious for Rocchi and Floccari to return, I think they'll be vital down the stretch.

18. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

With all due respect to Rocchi who I am a huge fan of, but man is he over.:)
    I hope he proves me wrong.:)

19. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

he is past his time, he'll be playing in Serie B next yr. But hey, Kozak scored again so maybe the kid can finish the season strong..

20. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I don't think rocchi will be in serie b and I think he is still good to be on our bench. He has the right and privelidge to retire with us

21. Stinky_Wizzleteats

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

He will be like S. Inzaghi until he retires. Hernanes with a fine goal today. The Roma game was incredible aswell.

22. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A good result today and a decent performance. If it wasn't for some shoelace saves the margin of victory would have been larger. Otherwise Lazio had results go their way which makes out for a pretty good weekend. :D

Concerning Rocchi, yeah maybe it is blind hope on my part but I've been rapidly losing faith in Zarate so I want somebody to step up. Zarate has enough talent, just no enough to do it all on his own. Maybe someday he'll figure out how to play the game with his teammates.

23. Stinky_Wizzleteats

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Hernanes has scored more goals this season than Zarate has scored in two seasons. Its just not good enough. If we qualify for Europe then Zarate might need to be sold and the money used to replace him with A GOALSCORER.

24. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

a true finisher is indeed needed....I think Zarate will be sold, and probably should have been sold last summer. but, another win is a win!

finding a way to hold onto 4th, I think its realistic now.

25. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Careless bad luck for Dias today but the offense was really to blame. Joke offense is a joke. For the future if Zarate is going to play I want him to be a forward and making runs behind the defense. All the offense right now is long shots and set pieces. Every other part of the offense has basically been absent since Lazio was top of the table.