2011-2012 NBA Regular Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by riverplate, Dec 24, 2011.

1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No killer instinct. Spot on.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Wizards play spoiler vs. the Bucks. We might've just pretty much ended their playoff hopes with that win.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I still think one Championship by Lebron and there is going to be massive - watch your head or the sail is going to smack you into the ocean - script flipping. Suddenly the guy will be praised for taking crappy Cleveland team to Finals, 60 wins, etc. He didn't win one as fast as Kobe and MJ, but his failure last season will turn into a success if he can win this season (didn't have the same talent around him as those guys, etc.). I'm hoping he stays on the LeChoke side, but I think a lot more people are going to start looking at him as one of the best ever if he gets the championship monkey off his back.

Couldn't one argue that Kobe's teams when didn't have much help weren't as good as Lebron's with similar crappy sidekicks?

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    thing is, lebron is physically perfect for basketball....he has the body where as kobe has the skillset

lebron can power his way to 30, kobe has to use finesse, more than ever

it's like dwight, if he wasn't a genetic freak he wouldn't be a good player....his speed and strength for his size gives him that edge, same as lebron

has there ever been as strong a man and quick at that size?

i think it's unfair to compare him to kobe personally as james is much more physically dominant

5. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    The same thing happened with MJ in his career. Early on, he was viewed as just a selfish scorer who would never win a title. The Celtics and Pistons were the great teams and MJ was in the Rose, Iverson or Lebron role- great individual player but teams win titles and you can't win with a me first guy like MJ. Even when the Bulls won the early titles, people rationalized the wins to try to show why MJ wasn't really that great (e.g. the Lakers didn't have Worthy, Portland and the Suns didn't have good centers so MJ was the beneficiary of fluky circumstances and it was still a big man game).

If you win enough, eventually people tend to forget about the things they wrote about you earlier in your career.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wiz have some young talent. It's a matter of playing with maturity, playing like a team. But unlike Bobcats, their guys are athletic and have some skill.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Grommit is right, it wasn't until Jordan was about 30 that people started to say that he belonged with Bird and Magic. Until then they said he was selfish and wasn't a champion like them.

In the 80s, Bird had Parish, McHale, Dennis Johnson. Magic had Kareen, Worthy, Cooper, AC Green etc. Jordan had ... yeah.

Most of this "champion" stuff is about which guy had a great team around him. Not all, but most.

8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And that's where Kobe and Jordan are so similar.

And as much as I hate on Kobe, I will miss him. When he leaves the game I'm not too sure who carries the torch as the premier superstar sociopath. LeBron? Nope. Durant, Rose? Possibly... maybe they need to get their asses kicked a few more times in the playoffs

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Didn't Kobe say he sees a bit of himself in Russ Westbrook?

I'm not sure LeBron can win enough championships as the best player on his team to get into that conversation. You could say that he is still a year younger than when Jordan won his first, but I would use the counterargument that I do not expect LeBron to be as good at 35 as Jordan was.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he won't be because he relies on his body too much, no where near the basketball skill of jordan

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0ZSJHBnkA&feature=g-all-u&context=G2089edfFAAAAAAAADAA"]06/04/2012 Newcastle Eagles v Worcester Wolves - YouTube[/ame]

this is the top standard b ball in the uk right here....

:(

12. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Alot of people forget, during shaq era Kobe was second fiddle. And he wasnt even regarded the best guard during those years, let alone the best player.I remember mcgrady or AI in early 2000's were better then Kobe. Lot of people would say, myself included you replace Kobe with Carter or Mcgrady on those lakers team and lakers would have still won 3 rings if not more.

Its different with Lebron James, he been regarded the best in his position and league much early then kobe.He is still just 27, and been the face of NBA for as many years as Kobe been ( kobe been face of nba post-shaq, until bron took over).

As I said I hope bron wins the ring, and what dark night says is very true.Once Lebron wins a ring, his failures will turn into accomplishments.Imagine the fact Lebron with less 100 playoff games then kobe has as many 40 point games in playoffs as kobe ( 12 v 9).

Rings will give him the status he deserves, as the greatest ever alongside michael jordan

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey now that guy is Lithuanian, he's gotta be alright, Lithuanians are ballers.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think that's fair. LeBron didn't have the luxury of playing with Shaq as a young player. Wade did. That's why Wade has a ring and LeBron doesn't. It's not as if Wade is better, or even as good. No way Wade could have led those Cleveland teams to 65 wins. But he had Shaq on his side. Good planning, that.

15. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's like watching MLS! :p

17. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    kobe returns tonight against the spurs!:cool:

i wonder how many shots he takes...:D

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm that's not a bad call. If he learns the turnaround fadeaway we might have something here.

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    basketball is so underrated, under appreciated, under-funded and just in general, ignored in this country! such a joke, for sports like tennis, badminton and rowing which get more money and we are generally shit at (except rowing)

20. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe if there had been more cotton plantations in the Midlands...

1 person likes this.
  21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    People continue to ignore the Spurs. I always see them as the team that's always there. Quietly without much hype they've become the best team in the West, in terms of stats. And what the hell; Ginobili and Parker are playing out of their minds despite already being a bit "old" by NBA standards. As is Tim Duncan though not at the level of Parker. They just gave LA a complete spanking.

Do the Spurs have any chance of going far in the playoffs?

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    And snooker. :p

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :eek:

bit of a low blow/racist?

24. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how is it racist to observe that the starting lineups of most of the NBA teams are of West African descent? racist implies pejorative characterization. my statement points out the fact that West Africans were forcibly brought to the Americas as slave labor and it is their descendents, largely, who comprise the best NBA players.

the Memphis Grizzlies, as a random example, are all black except Marc Gasol and Hamed Haddadi, neither of whom are from the Western Hemisphere.

the "whitest" team, i think, is Minnesota, 5 of 14.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we all know americas AWFUL history, but to imply what u did can be seen as quite sensistive by some i would imagine?