2011-2012 NBA Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by JohnR, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tied

:p

Ok that was a cop out. I normally do not engage in who is better that who, and I was indifferent to any of the our past forum debates about Barkley, Iverson, and cannot remember, purely because this is a subjective matter. Debates like this goes round in circles, and everyone has their own criteria and paradigm of what greatness is. Hence, I am not interested in debates about Ronaldo vs Messi.

At any rate, since you asked me for my opinion, as a player, I would give the slight edge to Jordan. For all of the reasons you pointed out in your earlier post about longevity etc,. I think Kobe is a better scorer, but Jordan was the better player. I say this because I think Kobe could have been have had a scoring average of 40 or 50 on any given night. We saw this post shaq era, where he was scoring shit loads of points. Then, he realized this was a team game and need to trust his teammates to win rings, not scoring title.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well as I said, there isn't necessarily a good reason for why you like or dislike certain athletes (or celebrities in general).

3. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Larry bird, magic jhonson, Shaq, tim duncan, Michael Jordan, Oscar robertson, wilt chamberlain, bill russel, karim abdul jabbar and ofcourse LBJ.

In the era of the lakers triple title, you could have put instead of kobe any of mcgrady, iverson or vince carter...and lakers would have still won the 3 rings.It was shaq team, never kobe's. He was to shaq what scottie pippen was to jordan.

4. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kobe a better scorer then jordan?
    Jordan had like 38 games scoring 40 points plus in playoffs, Kobe nowhere close ( 13 times only, actually LBJ will surpass him soon enough as he has 11 ). He killed big time defences, like the knicks.Kobe could only do it vs rubbish defences like toronto or dallas in regular season.

Plus , Jordan won 10 scoring titles.How many kobe has?

I wont even go to numbers, Kobe's inefficient as hell.He shoots terrible percentages, and at many times turns into a cancer to his team.

os_mutante repped this.
  5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might have a point here. But you can't take away his later back to back rings. He was The Man on those teams.

BTW, any fellow degenerate gamblers may want to look into the O/U for Westbrook tonight...

https://twitter.com/SaveUMFootball/status/215832687687110656/photo/1

[​IMG]

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to point out that this is the sort of statistic-backed argument that we want in this thread. Keep up the good work, Hench. :D

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The media sure like to take things and turn them into something else.

That pick doesnt really tell us anything. But thats the press for you.

8. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can see McGrady, but I cannot see how Iverson and Carter could supplement the triangle offense.

Blue - So scoring 40 points is what determines what makes one player a better scorer than the other? There are way too many factors that come into to play and it is not so black and white.

Red -See this is where a personal bias will dictate where to draw the line. I could name off some teams as well... Spurs, Celtics, etc.

Green - You have a good point here.

Orange - Yep... but you ignore the times when he is an asset to the team.
    Agree I much rather have him make constructive arguments, rather than LBJ IS KING! WE WILL 10 RINGS!

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kobe might crack the Top 50, that's just ridiculous. Kobe is probably a top 10 in most people's books, for me a top 20. Kobe was close for many years but never at the level of a Jordan or Magic Johnson. He was too much of an egotist. He shot a poorer percentage. He was not clutch. It was not until he started winning championships that Kobe dispelled the negatives associated with his game.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Are you saying Jordan had less of an ego than Kobe, or that Kobe hasn't lived up to his own ego while Jordan has? I don't see any way on Earth you can believe the former, but I'm asking anyhow.

Being egotistical is fine so long as you have the game and the rings to back it up.

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For many years Kobe didn't back the smack with game. I still think Kobe is not a clutch as MJ, but who has? Jerry West? Even he was not as clutch as his Airness.

12. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't have a strong opinion about Kobe vs. MJ, but I was curious about doing a stat comparison and thought I'd share what I found- I was curious as to comparing scoring efficiency as opposed to overall shooting percentage. So, what I did was looked at the ratio of points divided by shot attempts. Obviously, this ratio doesn't directly consider free throw attempts, though if you get to the line often and make FTs it will boost your overall point total.

Kareem comes out at about 1.35
    MJ is about 1.31
    Kobe is 1.30
    Now, this I found interesting- Lebron is close to Kareem at 1.35

I hope I didn't make a mistake with the math.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my God Harden just scored! About time, but it's not been a good beginning to this game for the Thunder.

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are that juncture.
    Time out by the Thunder. They look flat tonight. Not the same energy as two nights ago.

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn the kids are in a buzz saw. Miami is playing great defense. Thunder not helping themselves with poor shot selection.

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Thunder cannot buy a bucket.

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Miller moves like an old man.

18. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The referee is almost playing for OKC, how many times did they went to the line? And wade with 3 fouls, missed lots of minuted.But no mentions by alberto

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Watching him walk back to the locker room I will be watching him closely to see if he even runs back up the floor.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In case you missed it Miami is up 10 at the half and was up by 15 or 17 points in the first half.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    12 NBA seasons will do that to you. He's going to hobble all the way to the champions podium, tho- if not tonight, then Saturday night.

22. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Miller needs a backeotomy.

That should have been a charge on James. Calling a flagrant on Fisher is just cruel.

23. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's at the threshold again for the Thunder. LeBron got away with an offensive foul against Fisher. Critical play was with the Thunder looking to make it a three point game getting the ball picked and then a transition bucket. That led to the run.

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harden has been terrible. He is completely out of the zone. This game is over.

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durant twice now has attempted the behind the back dribble only to have the ball swiped clean. Transition a bucket and 1!!!!