2011-2012 NBA Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by JohnR, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - I remember his Cleveland days where he relied so heavily on barreling to the basket and attempting layups because his jump shot was iffy. Granted he doesn't have Dwight Howard waiting for him, but he's also gotten so good at scoring in ways that doesn't involve a jump shot. I think that was the biggest mental leap he made and maybe one of the biggest benefits of playing with Wade - he realized he doesn't have to be Jordan and score off of lots of mid range jumpers, as long as he finds ways to get points. He doesn't really post up, but he scores in the paint again and again and again.

2. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Considering how close they were to losing to the Celtics and the razor thin margin that has decided each of their wins against the Thunder, yes I think the Heat needed all 3 of their big guns, plus guys like Chalmers and Battier. It isn't just points- Bosh has been key in running pick and roll and getting boards, and Wade has made some outstanding defensive plays and getting loose balls. I think if Lebron had stayed with the Cavs they still go deep in the playoffs and he piles up crazy individual stats, but they would conspire to find ways to cough up close games and fall short of the title. Another aspect is just psychological- Lebron seems and says he is much more relaxed, and part of that can be that he doesn't feel that he has to carry the entire load himself- even if they don't need to assert themselves all the time Wade and Bosh are always there if needed to pick up the slack. Does Lebron come out of the game with cramps if he was the only star on the Cavs? The press and fans would kill him.
    Just telling the truth. Durant should have exactly that attitude- that no one can guard him. MJ would say similar things to opponents- you're too small, you almost blocked that shot you were just a little too short, just psychologically bullying them and getting his swag on.

3. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    tim duncan > shaq and kobe. not even close tbh.

i wish tim had the opportunity to play with a all time great in his * prime *

no disrespect to the admiral of course.:cool:

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew Heat's defense was going to be good but to keep the Thunder under 100 for three games now is pretty impressive. Riley must be loving this. And for those who complain about the officiating: a) this is one fast and physical Finals. It can't be easy for the refs to call this one with all the super athletes on the court; b) the Heat are simply tougher than the Thunder and when a team plays tough defense they start getting calls their way; and c) this Finals hasn't even come close to some of the more questionably called playoff series of recent memory (2006 Heat - Mavericks, 2002 Lakers - Kings, etc.)

I don't know. Last night was actually significant in that LeBron sat out the last minutes and the team carried out the win without him. Can't see any of his Cleveland teams doing that.

Also consider that Durant has had so much foul trouble that the Thunder have switched Harden on James at times. It's probably bothering The Beard's offense when he has to deal with LeBron on defense so much.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    WTF does this mean? Seriously, don't make me start a kids table thread for you and your friend. Enough with the ridiculous hyperbole. I've already said it a million times.

6. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
  7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's a fair point, and I don't totally disagree - but when Jordan ripped you he was also crushing you on the court and was just trying to completely eviscerate you as an opponent. Durant has played okay, but he's not crushing anyone. Durant seemed way too relaxed and over confident given the state of how things have been going. I'm a big fan of his but would rather he win something first. I also can do without the free throw wiggle ritual.

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I heard an nba official on Mike & Mike this morning acting outraged that the league might try to ask refs to influence games. Contrary to what Henchag will tell us, the referring in favor of Miami has been a topic of discussion on the morning sports talk shows - but the amount these guys get paid and the temptation for betting paydays, it's weird to me that anyone would act like this question is beyond the pale.

9. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In green - Westbrook scored 43 something points and was killing it OKC still lost. Granted that he was being a selfish inconsistent arse. Indeed, I agree, Lebron is killing it as well - especially his passing game. He is the main star and go to guy of the Heat, but no way he no way a Wadeless Boshless Heat could win the finals, let alone the Eastern Conference finals against Boston.

In blue - I agree. I will not put asterisk on this year. The conference finals and the against OKC were formidable and competitive.

In pink - defense is what is making OKC look so immature.

In normal black - Perkins was schooled in the Boston way. Any reason why this is not working out?

In grey - young dumb and full of *semen * very stupid to talk trash before the game to motivate the opponents.

Alberto repped this.
  10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There won't be an asterisk by this year. A 66-game season is a lot, it's not as if they played only half the game. And whichever team loses the series is a badass opponent. It's not as if the '99 Knicks are in the final. Both teams have two HOFers and a very good third wheel. (Alright I'm jumping the gun a bit on Westbrook but not much given that he's 24 years old and he's never hurt.)

12. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    i like sitting at the kids table. wearing my baby blue baby bib.:cool:

seriously, chill out dark knight...jeez.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Come on man - do I need to remind you you're a Kobe fan? :) I don't see how anyone can fault Westbrook for being selfish in last night's game. Without him they would get crushed.

os_mutante repped this.
  14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know how many times I gotta say that this forum strives to be adult discussion - we may not always succeed, but you aren't even trying with stuff like "Duncan > Kobe + Shaq and it isn't even close" and I'm the biggest Duncan fan here. This isn't about me chilling, it's about y'all graduating from the ESPN comments section which is dominated by all caps 12 year olds who are divorced from any basketball knowledge and who are just there to engage in absurd wind up slanging fests. It ain't what these boards are about and y'all ignoring me saying this is why y'all had restricted access previously.

15. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kobe is not selfish :unsure:

Westbrook not being selfish.... but would be crushed...

Ok... I do not see how anyone can fault Lebron for being the "final second shot chicken or what ever you want to call it". Without him, Heat would not be in the finals.

I am just making the point that Westbrook played with heart and scored 43 points, but missed some key threes and contested jump shots when others are open. One can argue that it was him that made it close game in the end, and I have no qualms about that, but his penchant to shoot first and take over the game like Kobe does at many times was not team oriented and it was a determining factor for losing the game.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm a Laker fan. I don't support individual players, as it's a team sport.

Alberto repped this.
  17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Honestly - the guy shot 20-32, and was the only one taking the bull by the horns. No one else other than Durant is contributing offensively or stepping up to the plate - the others are either missing good looks or passing up good looks - so I just can't call him selfish in this game. I would agree his shoot first mentality can hurt OKC at times, but not this game. I don't think his shooting is the reason they lost this game personally.

20-32 is pretty insane, especially since a vast majority of them were attacking the basket and he only got to the line twice for 3 foul shots total.

Alberto repped this.
  18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why people are critical of how Westbrook plays, that's who he is. He's always looking for his shot. I don't know the exact stat but I believe he's outshot Durant in a majority of this playoff's games and up until this round that's worked out pretty well.

If any PG should be criticized for a "shoot first" mentality it's Derek Fisher trying to be the hero and going to the rim instead of passing to Westbrook.

/h;)terade

19. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Westbrook was in heat, and I think he got too carried away with that, which also could have clouded his decision making. As you put it, he was exhausted as well.

Which makes me bang my head against the wall

[​IMG]

- Credit to vince on our Manchester United board

All the attention was on Westbrook and Durant... so Fish took the opportunity. Unfortunately, it did not work out.

20. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    biggest duncan fan??:D

i don't know about that!:p:p:p

21. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dude, I like you, Ross, but DK is a huge Duncan fan, but he will not let any fanboyism get in the way of how he sees the game. I think that is where ALL of us and DK has been saying about you and Henchag is to take your subjective fanboyist posts to another forum that encourages it; whereas, in here, we have diverse members that have their own supported teams and we discuss issues about basketball.

StiltonFC repped this.
  22. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if i need to rep a ManU fan, i will, but i don't like it one bit...

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You speak for the neutrals?

24. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more or less than y'all?

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I can say with 100% certainty that I speak for all neutral fans when I say "go OKC!" in game five

StiltonFC repped this.