2011/12 Gotoku Sakai @ VfB Stuttgart (GER) Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by SamuraiBlue2002, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We have plenty of good Central defenders. Who do you want in return for Sakai? :p

2. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Well, Gotokai could in theory choose between Japan and Germany (plus USA). But for me (and I am German) he is 100% Japanese. He doesn`t speak German and sees himself as Japanese. A few journalists and Stuttgart fans who obviously want to see their players in the German NT try to promote him, but honestly I don`t see any willingness from the German FA and/or Gotokai to make this happen. Much ado about nothing.

3. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    agreed, it won't happen and the "rumour" is currently based on a column of a journalist.

4. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Zac should just call him up and play him next game. Problem solved.

5. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    lol yeah but is it fair to Sakai if he has the slightest doubt ? I remember the infamous Domenech calling up Lyon's Bafetimbi Gomis just to prevent him from playing for Senegal.

6. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, he has to choose sometime though, no? And the moment is probably sooner than later...

7. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Difficult question as we don't know what he thinks. But leaving all his family history/cultural aspects aside, the actual situation is that Gotoku is regarded a J-U23-squad member, while Löw won't make the call in the coming months (Euro).

So, even if he is half-German and plays at a German club, if Löw calls him up, that would feel more unfair than the other way around.

8. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I agree, that's why I think all this media talk put him in a an uncomfortable situation.

9. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think he has any doubts. He's Japanese, grew up in Japan, plays for Japan. It's just natural to play for Japan's A-National team.

Besides: He doesn't even have German citizenship. So it's "technically" not even a choice at the moment.

10. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I hope he will play for Japan NT, they need him more than Germany NT and it will be better for Zac in the upcoming Confederation Cup and than WC2014 to have more good and experienced player as possible cuz of injuries and bad performance.

11. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the least Sakai deserves a call up, he is the most in form player for Japan and sideback at the moment hands down. Over: Nagatomo and Uchida

The fact that hes being noticed by Germany(or fans in Germany) calling for him to possibly be called up to their team speaks volumes about his play and form. Japan should call him up for not only the reason of him declaring hes Japan property so to speak, but he cant go ignored any longer. Hes a good player and deserves the call up and a spot in the lineup.

12. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Calling him up will at least show that the NT is not a closed affair, and put some players under serious pressure to perform for their starting spots.

13. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  14. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  15. Mr Mug

Mr Mug Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Just let him settle at Stuttgart, they're a good team that are going places.

16. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a432xF_IhE"]Gotoku Sakai *GO* skills ? 2012 ? HD - YouTube[/ame]

I think this video does a good job of highlighting Gotoku's strengths as a player.

17. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didnt watch the game today, but a 1-1 effort against Koln...come on now. At least theyre locked in for a Europa League spot, thought they coulda pushed for a CL spot, but hey, Europa is cool.

Nice highlights too, hopefully the non believers watch it and realize this kids got skills.

18. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good clip.

Will he be in the olympic squad or not?

19. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just watched the game vs Köln: G. Sakai had good and bad scenes, but mostly he was lucky that Podolski didn't take advantage of a huge miss by him.

20. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Looks like a completely different player from when he was at Albirex.

Playing in Europa League will help him as well.

21. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  22. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can I get a more detailed summary of that article?

23. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Basically Sakai never thought of playing for anyone else but Japan.

Not surprising given he's lived there nearly whole life, received Japanese education and represented the country at youth level and called up to JNT at the Asian Cup.

24. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Boulharouz' contract will not be renewed, and as their transfer target Chandler is staying in Nürnberg, Gotoku Sakai is currently without any position rivals on the right