2010 WPS Preseason Game Thread

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Cville K C, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a couple early on...

Rutgers 2, Philadelphia 1
    Washington 2, US U-20 0
    Boston 2, US U-20 2

That plus what you listed are all I have.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah, thanks! So then we have:

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies, the Washington 2-0 victory was over the US U-23 team, not the U-20 team. I misread my own writing.:eek:

4. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freedom press release:

It wasn't exactly a "clean match" - it was more that the referee refused to blow his whistle for anything less than what would get you arrested for mugging on the streets of Manhattan.

5. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I found the note about Huffman playing forward to be interesting. Do you think they plan to play her there? If so, they were incredibly stupid for getting rid of Lindsey. It was my assumption that they got rid of Lindsey to make room for Huffman, who is coming back from her ACL injury. Any clue SCF?

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why the press release says she's a forward, because she's never played that position and didn't yesterday. The one oddball player who played forward was Homare Sawa, who took over the position in the 4-5-1 the Freedom were playing in the second half when Lisa De Vanna went out.

(Additionally, the reference to a "penalty kick" is wrong - it was a free kick from about 25 yards out that Allie Long banged off the crossbar just a couple of minutes into the game.)

7. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Whoa. Well, whatever.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Update:

9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Larkin scored the 5th.

Atlanta lineup: Whitworth, Robinson, Bishop, McNeill, Sesselmann, Mundy, Kerr, Yamaguchi, Zerboni, Larkin, Thompson.

10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CRS beat Northwestern 2-0 tonight. Both goals by Masar, both assisted by Cristiane. CRS then beat DePaul 4-0. Goals by Sitch (Cristiane), Weissenhofer (Cristiane), Klein (Unassisted), and Cristiane (McDonald).

Cristiane led the Red Stars with 1 goal and 4 assists.

Players missing:
    Carney, Rapinoe, Nogueira, Loyden, Asllani, Formiga, Chapman, and Dieke.

11. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they play two full games or one half against each team?

12. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45 minutes against each team.

13. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Independence 1 Penn State 0
    Philadelphia's starting lineup:
    Karina LeBlanc
    Estelle Johnson
    Carly Peetz (not on 22 player roster)
    Nikki Krzysik
    Kat Reynolds
    Jennifer Buczkowski
    Joanna Lohman
    Natalie Capuano (not on 22 player roster)
    Karina Maruyama
    Lyndsey Patterson
    Danesha Adams

2nd half subs - Allison Falk, Val Henderson, Holmfridur Magnusdottir, Sarah Senty, Carrie Patterson, Gina DiMartino, Amy Smerdzinski (not on 22 player roster) DNP - Robyn Jones

Missing on international duty - Caroline Seger, Sara Larsson, Lianne Sanderson, Lori Lindsey, Amy Rodriguez, Heather Mitts

Independence goal scored by Joanna Lohman. Philly dominated play in the first half - LeBlanc faced 0 shots. Penn State played much better in the 2nd half with Henderson seeing a fews balls come her way. Top 3 players IMO - Lohman, Krzysik, Lyndsey Patterson. Neither of the recent additions to the team (Reynolds & DiMartino) really impressed me. In fact, I thought the players whose roster spots they took (Peetz & Capuano) actually looked better. Hopefully they just need time to adjust to a new team.

14. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    This is not what the Philly website story says!! Their version has Robyn Jones, Kelly Henderson, Carrie Patterson and Carly Peetz as the developmental players !!

15. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    sky blue 5
    UConn 0

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Rolling updates:

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It apparently hasn't been updated. That was the original list I think.

From the transactions page:

"April 1, 2010: The Philadelphia Independence released Carly Peetz and Kelly Henderson and added Gina DiMartino and Katherine Reynolds."

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/transactions-10.aspx

18. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Chicago 4-0 DePaul.

19. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freedom’s final tuneup: Washington 5, UNC 0

The Freedom looked sharp in their final preseason game and far better than they did two weeks ago against Virginia. Starting lineup:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Wambach,Sawa,
    Gilbeau, Long, Sauerbrunn, Huffman,
    Bompastor, Marshall, Whitehill, Moros,
    Scurry[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

(Gilbeau actually started on the right, but quickly moved to the left, and this was the formation for almost all of the first half.)

The Freedom were on the attack from the outset, and it took under six minutes for them to get their first score, as Sonia Bompastor sent in a high cross from the left flank over a host of players to an unguarded Jill Gilbeau, who settled the ball and sent a high shot into the back of the net. Bompastor was on fire the whole time she was out there in fact, four minutes later nearly springing Gilbeau again, but she was just offsides. Two minutes later, she made a beautiful play, at midfield taking a long crossing ball and one-touching it straight to Gilbeau’s feet twenty yards downfield, but that attack was foiled. However, in the 17th minute, Bompastor took a corner kick from the left and sent it straight to Abby, who quickly knocked it in for the second goal. Nine minutes later, it was Sarah Huffman’s turn to feed Wambach from the right flank, freeing her behind the defense for an easy putaway. A minute later the Tarheels looked to have their first dangerous chance, springing a forward behind the defensive line, but Sonia raced back to shut that down. The half ended with the Freedom up, 3-0.

The start of the half saw the Freedom’s first substitutions. (I lost track of Carolina’s, what with some players coming in for only four or five minutes at a time.) Wambach and Huffman sat, to be replaced by Christie Welsh and Caitlin Miskel, and Meagan McCray took over for Scurry in goal. Carolina got what might have been their only corner kick of the match in the 47th minute and got a shot on goal out of it, but it was right to McCray. They got another dangerous-looking chance on an apparent breakaway a minute later, but this time it was Nikki Marshall’s turn to chase the forward down and foil the attack. In the 52nd minute, the Freedom earned yet another corner kick. This came in from the left and was initially parried, but came out to Becky Sauerbrunn about fifteen yards from the right post. She quickly brought it in to closer range and put it past the goalkeeper for #4 for Washington.

In the 62nd minute, we finally got to see Lene Mykjaland - a player the Freedom had been working to bring over since 2008 - take the field for Washington, as she came in for Homare Sawa, while Kristi Eveland replaced Bompastor at left back. However, the accumulated substitutions led to a loss of cohesion on the Freedom side, and their play wasn’t quite so pretty thereafter. It was therefore hard to tell just how much impact Mykjaland is likely to have, though a fellow fan said he’d really like to see Lene and Lisa De Vanna compete in a footrace.

The Freedom’s final substitutions were in the 70th minute, with Alex Singer coming in for Jill Gilbeau and Beverly Goebel replacing Allie Long. This led to a rather strange formation that we probably won’t see much of in the regular season:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Mykjaland, Welsh,
    Miskel, Sauerbrunn, Goebel, Singer,
    Eveland, Marshall, Whitehill, Moros,
    McCray
    [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

(The oddest thing was having defender Alex Singer playing in front of midfielder/forward Rebecca Moros.)

Speaking of Moros, she was responsible for Carolina’s best chance as she bungled a back pass in the 82nd minute, feeding it right to a Tarheel forward. McCray had to jump up and make a huge reaction save to send the ball over the bar. In the 87th minute, the Freedom actually managed to score. Christie Welsh brought the ball up the middle between defenders and got off a strong shot that the keeper could only parry. The ball came to Mykjaland outside the right post. She had a poor angle, so sent it out to Alex Singer at the top of the box, who got off a high shot that looked as if it would go directly into the keeper’s grasp. However, the ball slipped through and into the net for the final goal.

In summary, the Freedom looked very solid in the first half, though shakier in the second with a lot of subs in. They picked up a lot of offsides calls, something they need to work on. If you can believe it, Sonia Bompastor looks even better than she did last year, while Jill Gilbeau - not someone I expected to be an impact player - was repeatedly dangerous in front of her. Despite scoring two goals, Abby, after having been away with the nationals for a couple of weeks, didn’t seem to be fully in sync with her teammates. There were a couple of cases where Jill or Sonia were looking for a target for a cross from the left flank, and Abby just wasn’t there yet.

So there are still a few rough spots, but the team seems to be coming together well. Can’t wait till the 10th!

POTM: Sonia Bompastor, no contest, though Jill Gilbeau had an exceptional game as well.

20. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good breakdown SCF, but unfortunately I must spread rep! It was actually Erin McLeod who came in for the second half - although the announcer did say Megan McCray.

It was strange to see Singer playing in front of Becca and I was not fan of it. I thought overall Becca did a good job in the back (even with the small mistake you mention) and made some good runs forward, but I just don't see Singer as a midfielder. I was not that impressed with her play there, even though she did score. I do think Singer is a very good defender though.

21. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chicago Red Stars beat the University of Illinois 9-0 today.

Goals: Asllani (Masar), Cristiane (Sitch), Cristiane (Masar), Sitch (Cristiane), Sitch (Asllani), Asllani, Weissenhofer, Asllani, Asllani.

Sorry I can't find any info on who assisted the last four goals.

Asllani lead the team with 4 goals and an assist.

Starting lineup:

Loyden (GK), Dalmy, Spilger, Markgraf, Engen, Asllani, Santacaterina, Klein, Sitch, Masar, Cristiane

Players not on the roster:

Chapman, Rapinoe, and Formiga.

Karen Carney did play the final 30 minutes after her 5 month long rehab from knee surgery. Rapinoe is sick yet again; I wish her the best as she has had a tough few months.

22. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sitting way down at the far end in front of the goal we were attacking, so it was hard for me to tell. However, given the couple of saves she had to make, I'm not surprised.

Becca did pretty well, but, as you say, I don't expect to see Singer in the midfield during the regular season - I'm surprised enough to see Moros in the back.

23. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Why have we not seen Brittany Bock play?

24. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she has a foot injury that happen in the off-season.

25. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States