2010 WPS Preseason Game Thread

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Cville K C, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Chicago did the opposite.. which will end up working in the end..? :cool:

Tomorrow is another big day of preseason games.. lets hope all WPS teams get a nice big W.

2. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CRS beat USF 2-0.

Goals by Cristiane and Brittany Klein

Starting lineup:
    Burke (GK); Weissenhofer; Dieke; Markgraf; Sitch; Rapinoe; Reiser; Santacaterina; Dalmy; Cristiane; Nogueira

Hayes stated on her twitter that all players were going to play 45 minutes.

Chapman and Asllani also made their debut tonight.

3. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been deathly quiet on the WPS Forums. Wondering whether there is a new Forum everyone has moved to? Of course, there's as always Twitter, but what can you really say in 140 characters anyway?

4. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    There's like 3 games today, philly-unc boston-sky blue and i think there was one more.

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saint Louis Athletica vs. Univ. of Missouri to be played at Columbia, MO has been cancelled for today and I think rescheduled for Wednesday afternoon/evening.

6. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC Freedom also plays University of Virginia in Richmond at 730PM EDT

7. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I wish there was someone scouting the preseason scrimmages...

8. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The GM and Owner of SBFC and the Breakers are tweeting about the game right now...

@HofstetterTh
    @SkyBlueFC_GM
    @BostonBreakers

If you want to follow them...

Sounds like a close and uneventful game right now.

9. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Just saw that! It's better than nothing when you're hungry for the season to start.

10. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Starters for Boston v Sky Blue are Phillips Moore Lepeilbet Scott Cox Osborne Lilly Smith Bogus Walsh and del Rio" via BostonBreakers tweet. Looks like they are giving Phillips some valuable experience and exposure in goal. I wonder whether Tony will let Weimer and Cheney loose in the 2nd half. That could be a pretty interesting combination.

11. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    2-0 for Sky Blue.

12. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on the Philadelphia / UNC game.......twitter has been totally quiet on the Philly and UNC fronts. Game should be over by now, if it started at 5PM EDT.

On the DC Freedom / UVA game, apparently UVA played WVU in the morning and will play the Freedom in the evening. Interesting format. Unusual to see teams at this level play 2 games in one or two days.

13. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Philadelphia 3 UNC 0 Independence goals - Lyndsey Patterson (1st half), Karina Maruyama & Joanna Lohman (2nd half). Philly's starting lineup
    Leblanc, Johnson, Falk, Larsson, Magnusdottir, Seger, Lindsey, Buczkowski, Rodriguez, Sanderson, L Patterson. Subs starting 2nd half Henderson, Mitts, Krzysik, Peetz, Lohman, Maruyama. Other subs during 2nd half Collins, Capuano, Smerdzinski, Adams, C Patterson. DNP Senty, Jones. UNC goalie Hannah Daly kept the her team in the game with a number of nice saves. Independence goalies not really tested. Philly played a 4-3-3. Player of the match Magnusdottir at left back.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Cheney still in LA finishing some classes/finals?

15. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I don't like the usage of Magnusdottir on defense, that is surprising me

16. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Cheney showed up in camp yesterday. I think that BostonBreakers twittered that, Who knows if she played today.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know. Thanks. Do you know who played in the back three for UNC?I know this isn't the college forum but I'm a UNC fan from way, way back and UNC lost a lot in the draft and needs to rebuild the defense....

eta: Ok, thanks, Peg Hopper.

18. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the twitters, it looked like Cheney did not play. They subbed Weimer, Reynolds, Angeli and others in. I bet Tony gives Cheney a week to get with the program.

19. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Great game today - Boston came out hard for the first ten minutes or so and brought it to us, but after that I think we controlled the play. Two fantastic goals - a powerful header by Carli on a cross by Hao, and a Kai goal on a beautiful serve by Carli. Overall I thought we looked very sharp, especially for pre-season. The depth on our roster was clearly evident, and our fitness is also looking good.

20. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    The only one I'm sure of on UNC's defense was Givan. The roster they passed out had some problems - Harris and Eveland were on it. The other D listed were Lucy Bronze, Amber Brooks and Katie Lutz but I'm not sure who was playing with Givan. UNC was much stronger in the first half and seemed to wear down late. Obviously they have a lot of talent to replace from last year.

21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. I would have thought that Philadelphia's strong points were goalkeeping and defense. I mean Mitts, Falk, Larsson, Krzysik, and Senty all have plenty of WPS experience last year. Johnson sounds like a capable rookie.

22. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that DC Freedom won 3-2 vs UVA tonight. Anyone have any details on who played and who scored?

23. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that Gillbeau, Wambach and Moros scored the goals. The only other people mentioned on Twitter were Bompastor and Sawa - they both had assists.

StarCityFan went to the game so I am hoping that he will be able to have more details about the game.

24. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All information so far is correct.

Freedom came out in a 4-5-1 formation, which was rather a surprise because Gabarra almost always goes with a 4-4-2 (the last 4-5-1 I remember was with Steffi Jones as the forward in 2003, when the NTers were away):

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Wambach,
    Bompastor, Gilbeau, Long, Sawa, Moros,
    Sauerbrunn, Marshall, Whitehill, Singer,
    Johnson[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

First Freedom goal was scored around the 11th minute when Bompastor slid a ball from the left flank in toward the middle. Abby was about 12 yards out and, being Abby, was drawing lots of attention from the defense. The ball came to her, but she dummied it, letting it continue on to an unmarked Gilbeau, who was able to send it into the upper left corner unchallenged.

The Freedom gave up a goal eight minutes later on a low through ball that got behind the defense. A Cavalier forward got on it first and got off a shot before Alex Singer could catch up to her.

It only took about another minute, though, for the Freedom to regain the lead, as Abby was fed down the middle by Sawa and knocked the ball in.

Score was tied again in the 40th minute as a UVA player coming down their right flank was able to send a cross in unchallenged that one of their forwards was able to send in.

The Freedom had a great chance to regain the lead as the Cavalier keeper came well out to punch out a Cat Whitehill free kick. She knocked it right to Wambach at the left corner of the box, however. Abby, though, with an open goal managed to send it right to the defender covering at the right post.

(The Cavalier keeper was adventurous throughout the match, including taking any of the team's free kicks that were on her side of the midfield line.)

The half ended with the score tied, 2-2.

The Freedom came out in the second half in an even more bizarre formation, a 3-4-3:

Bompastor - Wambach - Welsh
    Abegg - Long - Sauerbrunn - Moros
    Marshall - Whitehill - Eveland
    McCray

(Substitutes in italics.)

This was very successful at putting UVA back on their heels, though not so much in scoring goals.

However, around the 56th minute, Sonia sent in a corner kick to Abby, who took a hard shot that the goalkeeper had to dive to parry. She didn't corral the ball, though, and it came to Rebecca Moros, who just had to nudge the ball over the goal line for the deciding score.

Around the 68th minute, McCray tried to clear a ball but bounced it right off an oncoming Cavalier and almost into her own goal.

Around the 71st minute, Abby had a great chance with a header just a couple of yards out from goal on a ball coming in from the right, but she redirected it too far, and it went wide right.

Almost immediately thereafter, Abby was subbed out for a newly blonde Lisa DeVanna. I was really looking for her to score on a breakaway at some point, but she was never put in a position to do so, and the score remained 3-2.

Gabarra seemed somewhat resigned afterwards and noted that due to traffic problems the team had only arrived about an hour before the match. Erin McLeod also noted that the players were pretty tired due to the two-a-day practices they'd been having.

The players I expected to see but didn't were Brittany Bock and Sarah Huffman. I don't know about Bock, but Erin said Huffie was away at her best friend's wedding.

1 person likes this.
  25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I was at the Philly UNC game and the person who mentioned Magnusdottir as the player of the game is correct. She won herself alot of new fans including me who haven't seen her playing. On a selfish note, I was hoping she would not score because the announcer would have butchered her name. I was also impressed with Lindsey Pattersen as she had a lot of speed on the left.
    I also noticed the players in the second half were connecting better than first half but that may be because the UNC players looked tired.

On a whole it was a nice game and I did get a lot of random shots of Mitts and Arod as they were right in front of me.