2010 WPS General Draft Breakers Thread

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the draft just over 60 days away, I figured it was time to start a thread like this.
    As it stands now, the draft order is as follows: (from WPS)
    As with any other draft in this country, experts are making their lists of the top 5 available players. Link is here. Given our position at number two, it is obvious that we will get one of the top 5 players. What isn't as obvious is what we will do with the 11th pick. If for some reason Kelsey Davis is still available there, I think we'd take her, but I highly doubt she'll be around.

2. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be accurate, atlanta traded #10 and #12 to FCGP in the Whitworth trade. Atlanta also got #23 from FCGP.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You folks in Boston likely know what you need/want better than I but I think you've got a number of forwards already. If Atlanta doesn't pick Heath first, I think that works out best for Boston & Heath. You get a left sided WNT pool player and Heath gets some mentorship from Lilly, the best left-sided WNT player to date.

However, given the fact that the Atlanta coach was quoted by a Swedish (I think) paper saying they were picking Heath first, that very well might not be an option.

Here's what I postulated on the main WPS draft prediction thread:

In short, hope Atlanta doesn't pick Heath but Cheney isn't such a bad "consolation" prize. I don't think she is "simply" a target forward. She's got some passing/distribution skills that (imo) are underrated. I also think she's got the sort of personality that will blend into the team.

4. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teaches me to rely on the WPS site.

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Women's Soccer Weekly -- Boston Breakers-The Offseason So Far

Current Roster

Goalkeepers (1)-Allison Lipsher.

Defenders (3)-Amy LePeilbet, Alex Scott, Erika Sutton.

Midfielders (6)-Kristine Lilly (MF/F), Mary-Frances Monroe, Kasey Moore, Leslie Osborne, Kelly Smith, Maggie Tomecka.

Forwards (3)-Christine Latham, Jennifer Nobis, Tiffany Weimer.

Additions-Osborne, Sutton, and Weimer.

Subtractions-Amy Rodriguez (traded to Philadelphia), Sue Weber (drafted by Philadelphia), Kelly Schmedes (drafted by Philadelphia), Angela Hucles (retired), Heather Mitts (signed by Philadelphia), Candace Chapman (signed by Gold Pride), Sophia Mundy (signed by Atlanta), Nancy Augustyniak Goffi (retired).

Other Free Agents from 2009 roster-Abby Crumpton, Fabiana, Kristin Luckenbill, Ashley Phillips.

Internationals-Scott, Smith, and Latham with 2 slots open (Fabiana is likely to be one of them).
    Draft Picks (in first 3 rounds)-Nos. 2, 11, 16, and 25.

The Breakers must do better in this year's draft. They possess 3 of the top 16 picks. Out of their 2009 draft class, only Jenny Nobis and Kasey Moore are still with the team. Boston has a lot of talented players to build around with Smith, Scott, Lilly, LePeilbet, and Osborne, but they must still fill in the gaps around that talent. Perhaps fittingly, the Breakers' 2010 home opener will be against Philadelphia. Mitts, Rodriguez, Schmedes, and Weber will return to Boston to play against their old team.