2010 WPS Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kool-aide, Feb 10, 2010.

?

What will be the 2010 average attendance?

1. < 4,300

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4,500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 4,700

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 5,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5,500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. > 6,500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They clinched so they need to get working on this asap... no reason they cant sell out other than not marketing the team

2. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Only problem is that they are the only team out West and how many of their eventual opponents fans will be able to afford to go?

3. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 if Philly advances... they will have the home crowd for sure since the airline tickets will be an expensive last minute buy

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done to Philly for getting 4k to their game vs Boston. Also, a well done to ATL for getting just over 4k to their game.

5. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Let's hope this is a trend!

6. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    The numbers are all inflated! How many free tickets are in those numbers! The league needs fans!

Good job putting the championship game on a island that you can only get to by canoe. Yes they deserve the game and have earned it but put the game in the biggest markets where fans will come watch the game. Also make it easy to get to and where airfare is reasonable.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with the pre-announced set up for the playoffs (consistent from last season), WPS can not place the championship game to any old stadium they want. I, too, am very concerned about (legitimate) ticket sales for the championship game. FCGP is only behind Philly in attendance numbers and neither are meeting any attendance goals. And (based on the staff list) they seem a bit top heavy in the marketing coordinators vs ticket sale account staff.

8. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Maybe this will add some perspective to this thread and others . . .

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking about starting a thread asking what other folks thought the early years of MLS had to teach WPS and what (off field) things we need to pay attention to...I was also thinking about calling my local independent bkstore to see if they had Dure's book.

(personally, I think a huge clue about the future of the league will be whether PUMA re-ups after the initial 3 years)

10. CASK

CASK New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The ONLY reason attendance jumped is because West Chester University students were back in town for the start of the Fall semester.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are three regular season games left. The current league median (based on my calculations and including STL numbers but not the All-Star game) is 3333. The current league average is 3594.

SBFC & Boston are the only 2 teams beating 2009 median attendance numbers. FCGP is not that far off (136 tickets or -4%) from their 2009 median. FCGP and SBFC have home games this week and a chance to improve their final tally.

While I have not done a complete analysis, it seems evident that week night games have the lowest attendance. I believe MLS has a similar experience.

12. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted something a couple weeks back somewhere, and not only do midweek games kill numbers, various cities are very sensitive to Saturday vs Sunday for weekend games. I had games through 8/19 I think.

Chicago and FCGP dropped almost 30% by playing Sunday vs a Saturday; Washington gained 20% Sunday vs Saturday. Boston and Philly were pretty neutral. League-wide Saturday was 5% favorable against Sunday.

Atlanta stuck out because all their numbers, Sat/Sun/Wed were with 7%+/-
    FCGP had'nt had any midweek games to compare when I did it.
    The other 5 teams were at least 21% down on midweek v weekend comps, with Washington down almost 40% against their weekend numbers.

Boston had 2 Friday night games that averaged almost 4500, about 10% lower than Sat/Sun but still not a bad number in the scheme of things..

13. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    What bothers me with the FCGP numbers is that they are winning this year and still their numbers went down. Don't know where the fans are.

14. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Lots of competition in Bay Area for your sport dollar between all the pro team and all the college teams, so brutal market is my take.

Having said that, think the FCGP experience is a good one for fans and reasonably priced. It will take time but think the audience will continue to build as the Bay Area loves winners.

15. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Losing the Earthquakes and the CyberRays earlier this decade probably has something to so with the Bay Area's lack of enthusiasm. There's something about folding a local team that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth, makes you feel empty. It kind of puts you off supporting teams in the future. Once bitten, twice shy. Or something.

I was a season ticket holder for the old Earthquakes and the CyberRays, and I was a true fanatic. Had expensive seats at midfield, never missed a game, went to some away games, bought loads of team merchandise, etc.

But now, meh. Have not been back to an Earthquakes game and don't really plan to. Went to a few FCGP games last season, but stopped when it became clear they sucked. This year I've been to most FCGP home games, but never got season tickets. Strongly considering season tix for next season, but want to wait until I'm sure the league, team, and some semblance of the same players will be around.

16. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty crushed by WUSA folding, which is why I supported the WPS Breakers whole-heartedly right of the box. Doing all I can to support them within my means and getting others to as well.

Twice-bitten, then do what you can to make sure #3 doesn't happen.

To each his own.

17. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    So I guess the doom & gloomers will be quiet for about 3 seconds, but wrong for another year . . .

18. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Except that the same blog post has this curious sentence:

I've been asking around from reaction, and so far all I've heard is that one insider would be "shocked" if there's no league next year.

Players all seemed confident.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance numbers for yesterday were good to excellent.

3,810 in NJ, 3,545 in MD, and 4,003 for FCGP.

I don't have my sheet handy but I think those are close to season highs for SBFC and FCGP. Congrats.

eta: I checked my numbers. FCGP had a season high yesterday. Very well done. SBFC posted their 2nd highest attendance for the season. Again, well done.

20. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How low have our expectations fallen when 2 crowds of 3,000 and one barely over 4,000 is considered good to excellent?

21. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the point where crowds of 3,500-4,000 are considered good to excellent, obviously.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the point you're making. And maybe I should have used slightly different phrasing. But given where the numbers fall for SBFC & FCGP, I do think those 2 numbers are good to excellent. Washington is more of a problem.

I'll have some regular season numbers after a while...

23. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Well, up is a heck of a lot better than down, esp. with football season upon us. They key is the weather!!! Pray for normalcy next year.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crowd sourcing question:

Should I include the All-Star Game in my end of regular season numbers for the league? Last year, I did not include it in any of my figures. What say ye? Add it or not?

25. MAR2010

MAR2010 Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't. Its a special event, marketed quite differently from a regular season match.