2010 World Cup...in the USA?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by NebraskaAddick, May 2, 2007.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

My passport has only two blank pages left, with about two years left before it expires, and stamps from a dozen countries. How about you?

I don't mind people going to Africa. Go. Buy a ticket and go. Next week, if you're that eager.

If such is the case, given all the eagerness about Africa, a World Cup shouldn't have to make you MORE eager to go. So again, what is with all the sentimentality behind a South African World Cup?

2. FCDallasDynamo

FCDallasDynamo New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Maui,Hi
    Dont even start with that......I have been to all the continents and have changed my passport 3 times.....oh and by the way I am only 25.....so please do not talk to me about well travelled.....

There is nothing sentimental about it....Blatter is just doing his job...........

3. PantsB

PantsB New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    The problems of Africa are not based on what the media or Bono says. 32,000,000 dead of AIDS is not just tarnish. Constant warfare and instability which have killed tens of millions of civilians isn't just tarnish (DR of Congo Civil War - ~4 million, which doesn't count the Rwanda genocide, - to Liberia to Sudan/Darfur to Somalia etc etc).

Now the high crime rate in S. Africa might pale compared to the problems of its neighbors and continent-mates. But if you're trying to pull off a WC, the fact that most of the stadiums you just showed don't exist, or the lack of infrastructure and a very high crime rate are relevant.

Of the WC2010 venues, one is almost ready, four need major upgrades, and five haven't been built yet. They don't have the capacity to move people safely across the country for matches. And there is widespread poverty (50%+) and crime even in one of the continents more developed nations.

Maybe the WC money can help with some of these problems and maybe they'll pull it off. But that doesn't mean it won't be difficult or that the smart money isn't on major problems arising that will result in the tournament moving, or (more likely) huge problems during the competition.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

You opened the door with "get a passport and visit the world...open your minds people." Your words. Not mine. Don't get all superior on the rest of us and then backtrack when your superiority turns to crap.

Again, what is up with all the talk that Africa should get a World Cup and people hope they get a World Cup? That's different from the president of FIFA doing his job. What is with the sentimentality? It's a perfectly legitimate question.

5. FCDallasDynamo

Jul 7, 2007
    Maui,Hi
    Wow You people are ill informed.....Has anyone here been to South Africa....?..Well I have...and the picture you are all painting is a bold contrast of the actual fact....
    Blatter supporting SA 2010.....is good for the sport as a whole but good for the African Continent as well ( I know you dont care bout Africa Roehl Sybing...got ur point). And like a previous post mentionned....It works out great for the EU broadcasters....

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Please quote in this thread where I...
    1) "paint a picture" of South Africa, and
    2) say that I don't care about Africa.

Note that I remember saying I don't care about African soccer, which is different.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK, I'll start with South Africa having a strong football culture.

Secondly, the fans have supported the game through thick and thin, when there's been far more thin than thick.

Thirdly, players and fans there face hardships to play and even watch that hardly anyone on these boards can imagine.

Fourthly, they were robbed of the world cup last time round, when dodgy voting sent it to Germany.

Fifthly, it gives the country a chance to put it's positive side to the world - a world were too many ignorant people think the country has nothing but shanty towns, crime and AIDS victims.

Sixthly, Africa has given the world some great players. It's a chance to give a little back.

like everyone hangs on your every word.

so please, in your own time, why doesn't South Africa deserve a world cup, and how does a country qualify in deserving a world cup?

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Sentiment. All of it is emotional sentiment. Based on some of the reasons, let's have a World Cup in Iraq then.

It's nice to know you're aiming for my level, whatever you think that is.

9. FCDallasDynamo

Jul 7, 2007
    Maui,Hi
    GREAT POINTS........................
    ESPECIALLY THESES........

My opinion exactly..........

STOP HATTIN....:) ...In the years to come when we are all a little older It will be in the US of A....:D ........
    OH yea and DUBAI MIGHT HOST ONE AS WELL...MAYBE IN 25 YEARS OR SO.....THEY are building the massive sport city....

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Still waiting on your quotes, FCDallasDynamo.

11. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally get that.

:)

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nope, you still haven't said why they don't deserve to have a world cup.

and you still haven't said what constitutes, even in your mind, deserving one.

13. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry for interrupting the mudslinging but as the idea of a WC in Africa was presented the main problem wasn´t if SAfrica would be able to hold it..

The problem was that there was no other realistic African candidates...:eek:

14. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Valid point but even in Europe, there's only a handful of countries that could host a WC on their own.

My thoughts on this was that the burden of hosting such a massive event should have been shared between the nations of the Southern African region. Less money and risk for each country.

15. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Erm, you realise that you are talking about getting money from countries like Zimbabwe, Togo, Botswana etc..?
    And FIFA have put a stop on shared hosting after the Japan/Korea WC.

And yes, there are only around 6-8 countries in Europe able to host a WC so finding even one realistic candidate in Africa willing to try was a miracle.

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Doesn't it?

17. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Just putting in my two cents. Lets get back to the question the ORIGINATOR of this thread posed, and stop the BS about whether S.A. does or does not deserve to host in '10. What are the options in the event FIFA decides South Africa is unable to host? As was already mentioned, of the three back up nations, Germany and the US are the two who could best pull it off on short notice, i.e. under two years. One year notice is probably more likely, as I think FIFA will wait until Confed. Cup '09 to decide if S.A. will be able to host W.C. '10.
    As for who would host IF it was moved, Germany has the advantage of having all the infrastructure inplace from '06, but I don't think they would have the votes from the rest of UEFA. I don't think the rest of UEFA would be willing to have Germany host two cups in a row.

18. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    UEFA wouldn´t mind...CAF would riot ;)