2010 World Cup...in the USA?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by NebraskaAddick, May 2, 2007.

1. Hoopbhoy

Hoopbhoy Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Glasgow
    Guys you may as well forget this. The previous poster is right. Fifa will do what it takes to ensure South Africa makes the grade. Not just because its Africas turn but because the TV revenues to be generated from having a world cup that takes place in a continent with timezones friendly to European tv schedulers will be a major factor.

2. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    You Americans think the world revolves around you.

3. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Mexico hosted it twice (they took over for Colombia in 1986)... I don't know where you got that they didn't play when it was in Mexico... in 1970 they lost to Italy 4-1 in the quarters... in 1986 they lost on penalties to Germay. also in the quarterfinals...

the stadiums in Mexico would need a lot of work since there has been quite a bit of neglect of basic maintenance (I don't know how well they were put together in the first place)...

it was 1982 you were thinking about... Mexico suspended for underage players... and the US still couldn't qualify:(

4. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    Actually it was 1990 they were suspended for using overage players in a youth tournament.

In 1982 Mexico lost out to Honduras and El Salvador in qualifying. Hard to believe Mexico could finish behind El Salvador, I know.

5. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    Damn, youtube is great. El Salvador 1 Mexico 0, 1981.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V1_iVvDf_n4

6. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    The Georgia Dome isn't wide enough and it stinks of piss.

I really hope South Africa can host though.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I lived in Europe from 2001-2005, everyone I spoke to thought so. As a matter of fact, when I said it wasn't what they thought, they almost didn't want to believe me because they had mythical beliefs about the USA.

After living and working here and abroad however, I have come to the conclusion in today's world anyway, it does!

Who said the world begins and ends in New York?
    [​IMG]

8. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    Oh no your wrong it is the Universe! The world just like an Englishman to think small.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Or an Englishman in New York? :D

10. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be impossible given the geographic location of the US.

11. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right! If it wasn't for us you'd still be screwed because of {insert heinous atrocity}!

/snark :D

I would love to travel to SA in 2010, but they still need to build a rail system, let alone much of the other infrastructure needed to host. I could see it here...Easily. They would have to make the call not long after Euro08...

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not traveling to SA. Its a perfect opportunity for one of those explosive attacks from the not so far away countries that are on the same continent.

13. JamesTaylor

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be on all 7 rocks before I'm done and I'll be damned if fear is going to stop me from meeting that goal.

If it's my turn, there it is.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Hit Travelocity. Go tomorrow. Don't wait for 2010.

Africa doesn't deserve a World Cup the way everyone makes it out to be.

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if by "not so far away" you mean a few thousand miles away, then yes.

Top to tail, Africa is twice as long as the US is wide. Even a hotspot like Somalia is almost as far from somewhere like Cape Town as New York is from London.

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so how does a country qualify as deserving a world cup?

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If you think SA does, refute my claim. I'm not interested in your technicalities and contrarianism today, and I can't imagine many people would be interested anyways.

18. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As I understand it from the press conferences the three back-up candidates are Australia, USA and Germany

It´s easy to understand why in all three cases.

Germany just need to dust off last years plans because all the staff and stadiums are still in place but somehow I think giving it to Europe again will not happen.

USA could rather easily arrange the tournament as the big NFL stadiums are in place and most countries would have a fanbase already in place so the only problem is Brazils bid for 2014..Or rather the fact that the big TV-money from Europe would hate having to show night games twice in a row.

Australia is a one off location that got their own A-footy stadiums and despite lacking the population of USA they got sizeable immigrant communities and a history of supporting sports in a great way.
    Giving it to Oz would also be less infuriating for the African nations compared to having it going to the old order i.e SAmerica or Europe.

But this being said you can bet your life on Blatter doing everything he can to make sure SAfrica hosts the games..Otherwise Blatter will be the laughing stock of the world and might well be forced to resign.

19. FCDallasDynamo

FCDallasDynamo New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Maui,Hi
    IT WILL BE IN S.A NO WORRIES......this is useless hypotetical.....discussion

20. JamesTaylor

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you make a claim like 'Africa doesn't deserve a WC the way everyone makes it out to be' the burden of proof rests with you.

Why does Africa not deserve a WC?

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Which is an entirely different question than the one I've posed.

Do they deserve one? Perhaps. The way they're going about it makes one wonder, though.

Do they deserve one like it's their destiny or birthright? No.

I don't understand this feeling of "I hope they can host one" or "They should host one." Why should they? What is the big deal of a World Cup in Africa? On what does this insistence rely? Why all the pity?

22. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA
    I don't hold a PhD in geography, so correct me if I'm wrong.

While the US and Brazil are both in the western hemisphere, aren't North and South America separate continents???? And don't the US and Brazil belong to different Federations??

So really, geographically, the US hosting 2010 and Brazil hosting 2014 would be relatively similar to Germany in 2006 and South Africa in 2010. And let's not forget that Europe has already had 2 of the last 3 world cups.

And just a little something to think about for those who assume the US would be the obvious CONCACAF choice to host. Canada has done a wonderful job with the u20 world cup. Just a little something to consider.

Scott

23. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

A very little something, compared to 1994.

24. FCDallasDynamo

FCDallasDynamo New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Maui,Hi
    Thank you Great point.....

I think Americans in general have a very tarnished image of Africa.....THANKS TO THE OULETS......OH and thanks to BONO.....I know there is poverty but there is more to Africa...One of the most diversed lands on earth...Rich in culture, language, and football of course.......

THERE IS A BIGGER WORLD OUTSIDE OF THE U.S...get a passport and visit the world....Goodness...Open your minds people......

S.A GALLERIES....
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=294419

CAPE TOWN GALLERY
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=481714

DURBAN GALLERY
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=481716

JO'BURG GALLERY
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=481221

IT WILL BE IN SOUTH AFRICA ...NO DOUBT.....AS BLATTER SAID ..STOP HATTIN ON AFRICA.....

[​IMG]

25. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very true but you have forgotten the greed of Fifa, the reason Europe gets so many worldcups is due to tv money with the games being shown at a decent time in Europe. Whenever the world cup is shown in the other continents the TV money dries up as the games are showing in the middle of the night. The US currently doesnt have a great interest in football and the South American countries dont possess the wealth of Europe. A very sad case but a true one, football is as corrupt as anything else in the World all you have to do is look at Italy and England for evidence, dodgy referees and transfer deals.