2010 St Louis Lions

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Shipdawg, Oct 24, 2008.

1. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please!!

2. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See? Steve and I approve, and really, we're all the motivation you need.

Clearly.

3. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys, I WILL PASS THE MESSAGE ALONG :D

Big games this weekend. We head off to Springfield for a friday night game and then back home for the game against Rochester on Sunday.

5:00pm Kickoff against Rochester

This afternoon the reserves are playing a game. There will be a side game also where Mike Tony and Greg are looking at for next year and the the year after.

4. AC Affton

AC Affton Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Any new word on merchandise? I know the season is almost over, but it would still be nice to help promote the team.

5. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm doing my best to get there Sunday. With the WC going on and a family reunion that day it's gonna be tough, but I'd hate to miss the last home game of the season.

Next year we're gonna have this super prepared. Organize supporters together, put some merch together (at Tony's approval and whomever else) and really bring the games to a higher level.

Just sucks I couldn't get things going like I wanted this year.

6. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    operations meeting was last night and we were throwing around marketing ideas, merchandise questions, 2011 planning as well as offseason marketing.

Some good ideas were thrown out there. We also said we needed input from the fans. Throw us some ideas that you have and we will put them into the pot of stuff we need to discuss at year end.

You can post here, PM me or better yet stop by the press booth this weekend. Intorduce yourelf and let me know your ideas fo next season.

Also please keep a look out for a special promotion coming in the next day or so from one of our sponosrs.

I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!

7. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merch period would be the best thing ever, but aside from the obvious like t-shirts and whatnot I think major sellers would be replica jerseys, scarves and window decals. Nothing's better than the Lions crest being seen by thousands of people a day.

As we've discussed personally, I intend to accomplish a lot of this for you guys anyway. As an issue of money I work part time for a t-shirt and sign printing press and I can no doubt get some insane deals for the club.

You know I'll do whatever I can.

8. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd definitely buy all that you mentioned and I know others that would also.

9. AC Affton

AC Affton Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I agree with everything Kyle mentioned, especially the decals. That's the one thing I can't believe ACSTL didn't come out with. I still see the Athletica ones daily.

10. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I see a ton of the Scott Gallagher as far out as my way on a constant basis. A damn kid's league has better marketing than the pro clubs do.

All they care about is having just enough money to pay the players, stock the hot dogs and hope fans just come back.

11. AC Affton

AC Affton Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Shipdawg, can you share any info on what the talks have been like concerning the future of division II soccer and the USL in general? Does Tony still have ambitions of a professional club?

12. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunatley I can't divulge a lot of thing's at this moment. There are a lot of moving parts to expanding the operation and bringing on a professional side.

Tony is deadset on adding a professional side.

13. AC Affton

AC Affton Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Awesome. Thanks for checking in and good luck.

14. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh what a week, We get to cap it off with a good old rivalry match in Des Moines this saturday!!

15. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    July 28, 2010 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

STRONG SHOWING IN SCOTLAND
    BY ST. LOUIS LIONS ACADEMY TEAM

Cottleville...The St. Louis Lions Academy, a club neutral soccer team coached by Tony Glavin, President and Head Coach of the St. Louis Lions of the United Soccer Leagues Premier Development League, returned home today after a successful showing against some of Scotland’s top youth soccer teams. The ten day trip included two days of training with famed Celtic FC trainers and five games against competition generally several years older with a record of two wins, one loss and two draws.

In the first game, less than 24 hours after their arrival in Glasgow, the Young Lions faced their biggest test against the Celtic FC Youth Academy School of Excellence, the elite Scottish players in the 15/16 age at the Toryglen Regional Football Centre. The Lions fell 3-1, with their lone goal coming in the second half by Conner Baker off a through ball from Mitch Wagner.

Against Cumbernaud FC at the Ravenswood Field in Cumbernaud, the Lions fell behind in the 28th minute, but two minutes later Kyle Weinrich converted a penalty kick resulting from a hand ball in the box, to tie the score. Despite strong runs by Will Faherty and Brendan K. McDonough the Lions failed to break through and the second half became a defensive struggle with Elliot Boerding, Eric Hansen, Andrew Keller and Jake Manheart doing outstanding work to keep the game deadlocked at one-one.

Playing in a steady rain at Garthhamlock FC, the Lions took the lead in the 6th minute on a break-away goal by Conner Baker, but were tied ten minutes later. In the 28th minute Tristyn Hasmer snapped up a rebound and tucked the ball into the net. Two minutes later, Garthamlock tied the score on a corner kick, but in the 50th minute Mason King stole the ball deep in the corner and centered the ball to Hasmer who notched his second goal of the match. The lead held until less than two minutes remaining when a long ball took a hop on the wet surface over keeper Conner Robinson’s head, for a final three-three draw.

In a rematch with the Celtic FC Youth Academy team at the Celtic Supporters Field in Glasgow, the Young Lions revenged their only loss with a 6-2 win. Scoring began as Conner Baker hit the net in the 21st minute following passes from Elliot Boerding and Kyle Weinrich. In the 30th minute, Celtic tied the score following a stolen ball at mid field, but in the 33rd minute, Mason King dazzled the crowd with a outstanding individual effort using multiple step-overs to beat

several defenders before unloosing a shot. Goal Keeper Conner Robinson knocked down a hard header from a corner shot and the Lions held the lead into half time. In the second half, the Young Lions took control. Brendan McDonough headed a ball over a defender then chased the ball down for a break-away goal. Seven minutes Conner Baker broke free and crossed to McDonough who hit the post but followed up with a shot into the net. Trey Haman scored on a rebound of another McDonough shot in the 55th minute and Mitch Wagner closed out the scoring for the Young Lions with a bicycle kick into the net. With less than two minutes to play, Celtic scored a consolation goal.

In their final game, the Young Lions faced Garnkirk United BC at Stepps Field, a smaller venue utilizing smaller goals. Within the tight confines, much of the game was physical with much of it played in the air. Brendan McDonough scored in 17th minute on a break-away then in the 28th minute, Conner Baker beat a defender off a header for the second goal. Garnkirk scored in the waning minutes of the match which ended Lions 2-Garnkirk 1.

“I thought our boys played very well once they got their feet on the ground,” said Coach Tony Glavin. “It takes a while to get accustomed to the different style of play in Scotland and going up against top teams of older boys can be difficult, but we did well and I’m proud of the strong showing and positive impression the team made.”

In preparation for the trip, the St. Louis Lions Academy team, which is composed of players from several clubs, trained six hours a day, five days a week, for three weeks following a year of intensive weekly training sessions.

16. East Side Boy

East Side Boy New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    GC
    Shipdawg, Are the lions considering fielding a team in USLPro? I know there was previous interest in a USL-1 team and this seems like it would be a great option.....

17. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definately, we would consider that option and have been looking at the USLPro. I think it is a little premature until we get all of the facts about the league.

18. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former St Louis Lions Olliver "Olly" Dyson and Brian Harris have officially put pen to paper on contracts with the Missouri Comets Professional Indoor Team that will begin play later this year in Kansas City.

Dyson played in 3 seasons with the St Louis Lions (44 games, 5 goals, and 4 assists in 2,686 minutes). Dyson had an outstanding collegiate career at William Woods University as a 4 year starter (53 games, 10 goals 17 assists).

Harris, of Edwardsville Il, played 2 seasons with the St Louis Lions (28 games, 4 goals and 4 assist in 1563 minutes) Harris played College at UMKC where he played as a 3 year starter (55 games, 16 goals and 9 assists).

Tony Glavin and the St Louis Lions wish both Olly and Brain all the best and congrats on making it into professional soccer.

19. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The St Louis Lions are proud to announce that former Lions Goalkeeper, Nate Thackery, has signed a professional contract with Corby Town Football Club in England.

Corby Town FC play in the Conference North in England. Corby Town FC will be playing against Salisbury City in the FA Cup on Oct 23rd.

Nate Thackery played 2 seasons in the nets for the Lions where he played 19 games wiht a 1.241 GA Average and 5 clean sheets.

Thackery also played college soccer at William Woods University where he played for four years (22 games, 2.1 GAA, 3 SO)

Tony Glavin and the St Louis Lions wish Nate the very best in his professional career.

20. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great news!

21. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tryouts for the St. Louis Lions Academy (U13 and U14 boys) will be held at the Tony Glavin Soccer Complex, #2 Woodlands Parkway, Cottleville, MO 63376, Saturday October 30, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. and Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 5:00 p.m.

The St. Louis Lions Elite Academy is affiliated with the St. Louis Lions of the United Soccer Leagues (USL) men’s Premier Development League (PDL).

The St. Louis Lions Elite Academy is open to players from ALL clubs and unaffiliated players. There will be two teams selected (one at U14 and one at U13). Each will be composed of highly motivated, exceptionally skilled players who will maintain their current club, team affiliations and ODP commitments, while taking part in an inclusive, high-intensity training program and carefully selected competitions.

Last year’s U13/14 Lions Elite Academy team traveled to Scotland to train with youth coaches from the famed Celtic Football Club and compete in several international friendly matches against premier Scottish youth clubs. Plans for this year’s Lions Elite Academy teams include playing in USL’s Super Y league after conclusion of the local club season and Missouri State Cup play.

22. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it that Lions are expected to make an announcement this week? Shipdawg, any truth to it and what can you tell us?

23. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No truth to the rumor. We are not making any announcements on anything this week.

24. Darius Jovon

Darius Jovon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Ship, I know this is kind of early, but would you happen to have any info about tryouts next year?!

25. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darius,

We are looking at the weekends of Feb 18, 19, 20th or the 25th and 26th. We will have an announcement on the actual date in a few weeks as well as more information on the team and season after the AGM meeting next week in Tampa.