2010 Seeding Formula: January 2008 update

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by Edgar, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Edgar

Edgar Member

Re: Most pointless thread on BS

Thanks for the input Smoga. I never expected to please everyone :) Maybe when Poland (If my memory doesn't play tricks on me) climb in the FIFA ranking or in their group you will be more interested. ;)

2. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    One of the things I pick up from the sample pots and draw is noting the supposed "Groups of Death/Dearth". We don't see the latter much anymore - teams likely to make it to RSA are all pretty good. It's also interesting to note what we could call the "Death Group Makers" - a number of non-seeded non-Euro teams that, no matter what group they get put into, will make it into a Group of Death.

For anyone who thinks this is pointless, just don't click on the link.

3. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edgar, I wanted to point something out regarding your results for the 2010 WC Seeding Formula based on the latest FIFA Rankings (14 January 2009). There is a component in the formula that takes into account the relative ranking between all qualified WC teams from the past three years (2007, 2008, and 2009). The current results from your formula use the December 2007, the December 2008, and the January 2009 FIFA rankings to calculate this component. The FIFA rankings did not change much from December 2008 to January 2009 due to not many games being played, and, in fact, the ranking of the top 14 teams did not change at all.

Now, what I want to focus on is the points received from the average FIFA rankings of France, Portugal, and Czech Republic. In both the December 2008 and January 2009 these three teams had the same FIFA ranking of 11. However, the Seeding formula cannot have the same ranking, and thus the ranking of France, Portugal, and Czech Republic must be determined to be 11, 12, and 13 in some way. Now, since their rankings were unchanged from December 2008 to January 2009 (nothing changed in the top 14), then their determined ranking order from 11 to 13 would be the same for both their 2008 and 2009 rankings.

It appears, that in your 2010 WC Seeding Formula based on the latest FIFA Rankings (14 January 2009) you use the following ranking for the aforementioned teams:

11. Czech Republic
    12. Portugal
    13. France

However, in your 2010 WC Seeding Formula based on the latest FIFA Rankings (17 December 2008) you use the following ranking for the aforementioned teams:

11. France
    12. Portugal
    13. Czech Republic

And for the latter Formula, since 2009 hadn't occurred yet, the 2008 ranking was being used for the 2009 ranking as well.

So, shouldn't the order, of the three teams in question, used for their 2008 rankings be the same as was used in the 17 December 2008 Seeding Formula; however, the order used for their 2009 rankings could be different, I suppose.

Edit: I guess after trying to come up with the answer for how to determine the order of teams tied with the same ranking, that the methodology for doing so could have changed from your Formula in December 2008 to your Formula in January 2009.

4. Edgar

Edgar Member

Yes, you're right. After checking my totals (not rounded) with those received from FIFA, I decided to use this order: CZE (1007.4), POR (1007.07), FRA (1006.87) because it seemed more logical (well, at least to me).

I don't know how FIFA will go about it and I I don't claim anything on my blog has official backing, mind you :)

5. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I thought they averaged the teams (so 11,12 and 13 each get 12).

I have no idea why I think that though.

J

6. Edgar

Edgar Member

Maybe because your fellow Aussie Paul Marcuccitti used to average the teams.

Also eldiablito used to average the teams, but FIFA doesn't do it.

7. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edgar, one more question:

In your 2010 WC: Seeding Formula Based on Current Standings (14 January 2009) you have Israel selected as on of the World Cup (WC) finalists from UEFA. Israel is one of nine second place teams from the nine different UEFA World Cup Qualifying groups. Out of these nine teams only four will be able to advance to the World Cup.

So, what logic are you using to select the four finalists out of this group of nine? It seems to me that this is similar to how the fifth team from the AFC and OFC regions would be selected. Since New Zealand has a higher FIFA ranking than both Qatar and Korea DPR (third place teams in their respective AFC WC Qualifying groups), then New Zealand was selected. Similarly, the four second place teams from the UEFA WC Qualifying Groups that have the highest FIFA ranking are Cratia, Russia, Turkey, and Czech Republic. So, shouldn't the Czech Republic be in your seeding formula based off of WC Qualifying Standings and not Israel?

8. Edgar

Edgar Member

The Czechs lose out as worst second placed teams according to Wikipedia.

9. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Wikipedia determine Scotland was ahead of Czech Republic since they are equal on everything else? Did they use proper tie breaking procedure?

10. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    2>1 (Away goals)

J

11. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, they should have a column for away goals on there table.

12. Edgar

Edgar Member

13. Edgar

Edgar Member

14. Edgar

Edgar Member

15. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Now there's a group of life if I've ever seen one!

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one, South Africa might actually make it out of.

...oh, right. That's from the 'current standings' link. The US having beaten Mexico is currently playing havoc with that particular part of the teams. Sorry, I just can't believe that Mexico will miss out.

17. Lisa11

Lisa11 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    Belarus
    I'm starting to think we keep seeing them as a powerhouse, but, like Costa Rica, they have slipped enough that we should stop seeing them that way.

Lisa11

18. Edgar

Edgar Member

19. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
  20. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh dear, Pot B with the UEFA teams is what makes or brakes your group. Especially the Netherlands just shouldn't be there. I like it, when the host nation is a really strong nation, so in 2014 there will be a better pot A.

21. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding team selection based on qualification chances:

I think Croatia has a better chance of Qualifying than Switzerland or Sweden (or Denmark, also from Group 1). Croatia still has played the least amount of relevant games with regards to the second-place teams, and I like their chances against either switzerland or sweden or nearly any other second-place team, should they meet in the playoff round.

22. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agreed!!!!

24. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always wondered how the pot structure would look like if CONCACAF won the playoff against CONMEBOL.

I've had this theory that they would just lump the CONCACAF playoff winner with the rest of CONMEBOL to even the pots up, and then adjust the draw so that it won't get paired with another team from CONCACAF...but that just rewards that team since they would have to avoid other CONMEBOL or CAF teams, and why should they get that benefit?

Hmm, maybe just have the first place CONCACAF team in with the CONMEBOL and CAF pot if the CONCACAF 4th place team qualifies...but it'll be interesting to see what they do if the pots don't even out.

25. Edgar

Edgar Member

I saw Voros has already answered your question.

You're welcome.

There was one seeding update with Panama winning the playoff due to their better FIFA Ranking (Venezuela were 5th in CONMEBOL at the time).

See from post 71. flem16 asked the same question. I don't have an answer for this. Actually, all the seeding posts might be in vain, as FIFA may very well change the formula. ;)