2010 San Francisco Giants - the official thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Goodsport, Dec 29, 2009.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon, you've never wandered into the Phillies/Mets rivalry thread?!?!?

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    see edit dude!

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Who's going to the parade?

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about that. :(

-G

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it an angry shock? :confused:

-G

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word has it that the parade will start at 11am PDT and will follow the same route as the parade that welcomed the Giants to SF in 1958.

-G

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    "Word" has it right. Starts at Montgomery and Washington and will follow Market St until McAllister by Civic Center.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    certainly not! I don't know how old you are G, but the giants were the winningest team in baseball all during my childhood, and chock-full of HoF'ers. winning it all, instead of finishing 2nd (of 10) every year seemed just a matter of time...

but time drags on, and on (and on), and after a while, you know, the bridesmaid (and worse) stuff just becomes part of your psyche. a world where the giants are world champions is a great world... it's just not one i ever expected to live in.

but i'm getting used to it. and to quote a great philosopher:

[​IMG]

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's cool! :)

And yes, I'm old. :(

-G

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know how old you are, but my step father was roughly ten years old when the Giants moved to San Francisco. The man was the biggest Giants and 49ers fan on the planet. I will never forget how happy he was when you could start listening to games over the internet. Every night the Giants game was on. The Scott Spezio disaster was traumatic for me, but honestly, I had heard the Willie McCovey story so many times that I felt like I saw that game myself. He died a few years ago, and the Giants winning the Series was only the second time in my life I have cried during a sporting event.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Excuse me, but the last time the Giants were "the winningest team in baseball" was back in the days of John McGraw, wasn't it? Is there anyone still alive from that time?

Your earlier post about being happy is an interesting one. I'm happy when the Yankees win it all, but not "happy" as in blissful or content. There's always doing it again the next season for us and it seems that fact is staring us in the face only a day or two later. I would say "proud" is a better word to describe the feeling.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I am misinterpreting your post, but I guess I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not trying to rile us up.

17. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As somebody who dates back to 1985 - having attended the Giants' 100th loss that season, the only time in club history that has happened - this is pretty awesome. :cool::D:cool:

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I only took a few with my blackberry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Ah, I remember that point.

Gosh, Timmy just doesn't look like an athlete.

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think guignol was referring to the Giants having the most wins in MLB in the 60's (need to double-check that but I'm pretty sure that's true) with only one pennant and 5 2nd place finishes to show for it. Or he could be referring to the fact that the Giants have won the most games in MLB all-time.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    3apples has answered your first question; even in the mcgraw days the giants didn't win anywheree near the pennants the yankees did, but in the 60's in terms of games won year in year out the giants were tops, and the fact that didn't translate into pennants is one of the legends of the game.

the happiness longtime giants fans feel now is something hard to describe or explain. certainly this being the first time is a big reason. for those of you who have read proust, he explains that the sight of the madeleine didn't raise any feeling in him because he had seen them constantly in bakery windows; only the taste could do that because he hadn't eaten one since he was a boy. now here's a madeleine we've never tasted, but have dreamed about, longed for, constantly and fervently... since combray.

so many of my childhood memories revolve around the giants. not only do i still have a baseball glove with the names mays, mccovey, cepeda, alou and marichal on the five inside fingers and lanier, davenport, hiatt, perry and priddy (bob priddy was a distant relative of mine) on the outside, when i think of baseball gloves, it's always that one. the quintessential baseball glove.

hey soda! hey, malt here!. colossal dogs! get your colossal! . in 1976 i went to the last series of the season against the astros. tix were free. both teams were about 25-30 games out of first place. there were perhaps 500 people in the stick for those games, in other words EMPTY. my friends and i sat right behind home plate; we didn't even bother walking around to pick up the foul balls until there were 3 or 4 of them lying around, we probably took home 20 or 30 of them. and the malt and colossal guys gave us stuff to eat. probably because it would have just been thrown away, but maybe because they felt sorry for us.

you had to know THEN to truly appreciate NOW.

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    had a close call once though. in 2003 we were in SF and wanted to take the kids to their first giants' game (and my first at whatchmacallit park). first surprise, i thought i could just waltz up to the window and get tix! second surprise STANDING ROOM was $10! (doesn't seem pricey, but at the stick bleachers were $2.50)

once in the park i was irritated that standing room meant exactly that. sitting in empty seats was STRENG VERBOTEN! RAUS! RAUS! and standing does not include watching: from most of the concourse you can't even see the game; you're just there to soak up the atmosphere. garlic fries, get your garlic fries! hey cioppino! pinot grigio here! hey, pinot grigio!

my head was spinning. mays fouling off 15 pitches until he got the one for his walk-off. mccovey almost getting the triple crown. ron hunt getting hit by 25 pitches a year, marichal injuring himself sneezing... what did it all matter now? this club was dead to me.

somehow, around the 6th inning, we got past the seat nazis. and wouldn't you know it, that was barry's birthday bash day. threw the d'backs go-ahead run out at the plate (that guy with the weird, weird batting stance)... 5 minutes later, a walk-off.

and all was forgiven.

except the cioppino.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that season like it was yesterday.

Damn, I'm old! :(

-G