2010 Rowdies Stadium News Part 3

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by atlanticTFCfan, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USAUnited33

USAUnited33 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, everyone needs to think realistically here. Tampa to MLS? lol come on guys. We can barely get marketing going right now and your talking about MLS. First let's concentrate on getting 5k in the stands before we even think about MLS. If we get 3k in the stands for the first game I will happy. I'm just happy we have a team.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree that fans should be focusing on the Rowdies while they play in the 2nd division, ^ this kind of thought process is old and outdated.

Look at the Toronto or Seattle now. Freak Philly and SLC didn't even have a div2 team before MLS. Did you think they had great attendance before MLS? Was their marketing stellar? No way. I think only the Whitecaps and the Timbers can say next year that they did a good job in the lower divisions and will only go up.

3. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Think realistically"? Two or three ago, certain "experts" would have told you it was unrealistic to expect the Rowdies to come back in any form.

Being "unrealistic" is what sports fandom is all about.

And if you really think that Rowdies in MLS is really that unrealistic, you haven't been paying attention to MLS over the past five years.

Who's "we"? I suspect you haven't been paying attention to what has been going on. Low level marketing has been going on for quite some time; the stuff you might actually notice (TV and radio advertising, billboards, etc) is about to begin. No one expects earthshaking marketing but we'll do all right for USSF D2.

The Rowdies have been consistently getting close to 1,500 fans at Pepin Stadium for meaningless pre-season friendlies with almost no marketing and no advertising.

If you think you can silence "unrealistic" speculation just because you say so, you really are on the wrong forum. If fans can't be fans on Big Soccer of all places, you might as well just shut down the internet and turn all of the opinionating over to the "experts" who will be all too happy to define for us what is and is not "realistic".

If we sat around waiting for "reality" to catch up with our dreams, we'd be sitting still for ever. Without fans pro sport is nothing. Without fans unrealistic expectations, sport would still be nothing but a few guys playing a ball game in an empty public park.

Without "unrealistic" fans, the "experts" would have nothing to talk about.

We will speculate about MLS: it will happen. It's not our fault that reality is just a little bit behind schedule. We can see the trend lines, and for once they are in our favor. It isn't that hard a future to predict. As SoccerPrime points out, your line of thinking is old and outdated. Time to update it: it's not a crime to be optimistic anymore.

4. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to add something, but both of you guys summed it up well enough.

Getting into MLS isn't based on D2 attendance or how well the team is marketed, in some markets it isn't even based on whether or not there is a D2 team to begin with.

MLS will happen in Tampa if the right people decide they want it to and are willing to put up the money. Now we just find the right people, or hope the guys behind the Rowdies have bigger plans for this legendary franchise.

There are alot things in motion regarding pro soccer that I never thought would be only a couple of years ago and the possibilities are here.

Obviously let's all be super excited about having a pro team to support in the meantime, but there is nothing at all wrong with discussing the possible future of pro soccer in Tampa.

5. Call me Ralph.

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really do think far too many people psych themselves out by adopting a ridiculously pessimistic view of soccer in the USA in general, and soccer in Tampa (or wherever they live) in particular. The reality is that soccer has a fantastic track record in Tampa, and the contraction of the Mutiny had nothing to do with low attendance or lack of support. It had everything to do with MLS mismanagement and lack of an owner. But it's so much easier to blame the market/blame the fans, than to examine the real issues.

IIRC there was the Utah Blitzz. Philly also had an indoor team. Those don't really count for much though. Were the Blitzz D2? I can't recall.

And even the Whitecaps and Timbers have had a fairly mild record in attendance - better than the average for USL, sure, but not spectacularly impressive if you're planning on an MLS expansion slot.

Sons of Ben are an excellent example of the importance of being "unrealistic". No team, no potential owner in sight, did they just shrug their shoulders, say "we have to be realistic", and lower their expectations? Heck no.

6. Call me Ralph.

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if the Rowdies get good attendance, that does improve the chances that potential new investors will get interested. So although good attendance isn't going to make MLS magically appear all by itself, it can set the wheels in motion.

IMO the new owners (Nestor and Howard) are soccer fans first; they certainly could make a lot more money doing something else with their time. They probably don't have the deep pockets for MLS, but if their project with the new Rowdies is a success, they shouldn't have trouble finding new potential partners for an MLS bid.

Anyway, we are speculating wildly here - but we know that. As long as we are honest enough to not confuse our speculations with the facts, we're doing okay. Time will tell what actually happens.

7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup. all of it.

8. Soccer Budgie

Soccer Budgie Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HEY! You guys have some great discussions going! it was a pleasure to read! Thank you for being local thoughtful soccer fans (with computers)! A pleasure!
    carry on........

9. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    So... I went to pick my seat yesterday at the stadium. The sight lines aren't the greatest judging from the cones.

Anyway.. talking to the team staff that was on site, they will not be covering the baseball infield.

When the red shirted security guy took a break.. ran onto the field and scooped up a hand of the infield.

That stuff isn't the soft red clay found at your neighborhood little league baseball field. It is made out of small gravel. Go to Home Depot or Lowes... find some 40 grit sand paper... and you pretty much have what is laying in the infield. I feel very, very sorry for the players.

If they go down for a slide tackle, they are going to have some major skin loss. Don’t picture a 'rug burn' from indoor soccer.. think more like... 'road rash' from falling off a bicycle or skateboard onto pavement.

Truly ... that infield is horrible stuff. Of course baseball players don’t mind as they wear long pants.

10. brandonsoccerfan

brandonsoccerfan New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Yeah, this has been the biggest question about the field so far. The team knew the Yankees wouldn't let them cover it from the start. It's all a trade off. The rest of the field looks great, it's just that corner that may mess things up a bit. Did you check out the supporters' section in 203? That's where Ralph's Mob will be sitting. The view is great!

11. wingman8

wingman8 New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    thats good to hear that the infield wont be part of the field. Do you know what the field dimensions cause it seems like this might be a small field?

12. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    wingman are you thick? the post you just quoted says that they will be playing on the in field

13. wingman8

wingman8 New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    what are u talking about, i said that i was glad that we weren't playing on the infield, but then i reread what lawguy said and i thought he meant that the rowdies would not make the infield part of the field but what he was saying is that they will not be covering the infield with grass if i read correctly.

there's nothing in my previous post about the team playing on the infield

14. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    clearly you said something about the team playing on the infield, if its not a part of the field then they are not playing on it, but THEY ARE PLAYING ON IT because IT IS PART OF THE FIELD, so yea im right, unless im just misreading your post and you are saying how great you think it is that our players are going to be getting road rash, i guess im just not as stoked as you about the news of our players playing on gravel.

15. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    hahah what?

16. wingman8

wingman8 New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    again, what are u talking about, I misread lawguy's post about the infield but I said i was glad we WEREN'T playing on the infield because of the gravel like clay, but now i understand he meant that the owner won't let us cover it. How are u getting that mixed up with me wanting the team to play on the clay rather than the grass.

17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you guys really arguing about this?

We were at the open house, the team will be playing on a large portion of the clay infield which WILL NOT be covered, and while it sucks we'll just have to deal and hope it gives us some bit of home field advantage.

18. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    ok i wont say anything about it after this, cause this is annoying, i know you do not want the team to play on the concrete, i was just pointing out the fact that you quoted some long message that was all about how shitty it was that we had to play on this concrete and you go "oh good im glad we dont have to play on the infield" its like youre retarded if you read law guys post adn thought he was saying we dont ahve to play on it. that was all i was trying to convey but your thick skull would not register that. sorry everyone

i am done now,

good luck rowdies, i cant wait til the first game, im def going to be making the trek from sarasota for every home game, anyone from down here that wants to carpool?

19. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you planning on standing in section 203 with the Mob?

20. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    yea if possible

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stinks about the in-field, reminds me of when DC was sharing with the Nats, that corner sucked by mid-season every game played there, everyone just avoided that area of the field. Or face the consequences.

22. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya it should be a full on disaster during rain events. We'll just have to make the best of it both on the field and in the stands.

23. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001

Who is 'law guy'?? ;)

24. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    The infield

I am pretty sure they an "infield conditioner' like Diamond Pro.

Think a clay put cooked in a kiln and then crushed up into little bits.

vitrified clay (expanded shale and clay) product applied to skinned areas of baseball and softball fields. Diamond Pro® fires its vitrified clay conditioners in a rotary kiln at over 2000° F to produce a premium ceramic substance. Our Red Infield Conditioner helps create a natural look that enhances the appearance of an infield.

You can find some photos of the stuff here:
    http://www.contractorscorporation.com/athleticfield.html

25. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Prohibited Items

I am sure that the Tampa Yankees will be in charge of security. They have a list of Prohibited Items for Steinbrenner Field.

Unless FC Tampa Bay Rowdies have talked to the red shirts, I guess you cant bring in your guide horse?
    http://www.guidehorse.org/

Prohibited Items
    If a Tampa Yankees staff member feels that fan safety is in danger, items brought into the ballpark may be confiscated. This policy is designed for the safety of all fans.

Prohibited Items include, but are not limited to:
    Outside Alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs
    Outside food or drink Glass/Plastic bottles or cans
    Coolers or ice chests Sticks/clubs
    Fireworks and confetti
    Animals except certified service dogs or for certain events
    Inflatable items
    Bicycles
    Skateboards or Roller Blades
    Water guns
    Laser pointers
    Weapons of any kind

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/documents/2010/04/02/9051402/1/Steinbrenner_Field_A_to_Z.pdf