2010 Puerto Rico Mens National Team Events

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by boricua10, Nov 12, 2009.

1. boricua10

boricua10 New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    2010 proves to be one of the most important years in Puerto Rican soccer history. With many events happening this year, it is going to be vital for the improvement and recognition of soccer in the island.

Puerto Rican soccer President JOE SERRALTA should take these events seriously if he really wants improvement for Puerto Rico. 2010 Events:

- March/April: Digicel Caribbean Championship Knockout Round: Qualifying for 2011 Gold Cup.

-April 1-9: CFU U-20 : Qualifying for 2011 FIFA Under 20 World Cup

-July 17-31: Central American and Caribbean Games held in Mayaguez, PR

Caribbean Championship: This will be the most important for the Senior level; as it is the first step into qualifying for the 2011 Gold Cup; This will be a home and away series against most likely a caribbean team. For Mr. Serralta he must allready choose a coach with preperation for these qualifiers. Mr. Serralta has allready stated that he wants to compete and QUALIFY to the 2011 Gold Cup as he stated below

http://www.primerahora.com/diario/noticia/futbol/accion_deportiva/con_la_mira_en_la_copa_de_oro_2011/318405

CFU U-20: I believe that this a competition that PR needs to keep participating in. Thier is a strong group of guys that are available from the last u-20 team that underachieved in Cayman Islands in 2008. Also thier are a few members of the NY Red Bull Academy team and other Academy teams that are of PR descent that can make this team a strong one. It's up to the scouting services to find those players, which thier are many!

The following players available:
    Joel Rodriguez: 8-7-1991
    Manuel Mazo: 3-15-1991
    Jerry Luna: 5-30-1991
    Jose Sandoval: 1-15-1991

Central American and Caribbean Games: These games are going to be held on Puerto Rican soil. [Mayaguez]. The competition is going to be under 21 competitioin-players born on or after january 1 1989. The team thats going to represent PR in this competition is considered to be the "Golden Genereation". There are abundant of players available that are excellent. Led by PR Islander Andres Cabrero.

The following players available:
    Anthony Vazquez: 3-12-1989 St. Johns University
    Steven Ehrichs: 9-11-1989 Hofstra University
    Fernando Gonzalez: 6-6-1989 University of South Florida
    Christopher Feigenbaum: 11-4-1989 University of Central Florida
    Nicholas Ramirez: 9-6-1990 University of Villanova
    Antonio Pacheco: 3-4-1989 Guaynabo Fluminense[PRSL]
    ANDRES CABRERO: 1-4-1989 Puerto Rico Islanders

Please Mr. Serralta, dont mess up.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Digicel Caribbean Championship changed formats and is starting about 4.5 months earlier in 2010 than it did in 2008, which is possible because in 2008 CFU countries also had WCQs. Wikipedia doesn't say when the draw for the tournament will be.
    I went to Hofstra University like one of the Puerto Ricans.

3. boricua10

boricua10 New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    well the first knockout rounds are in march/April

but the final tournamet is going to be held in November

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. In 2008 the tournament started with five groups the first of which started in late July, about 4.5 months earlier than mid-March.
    My guess is that the four groups will have four teams each for a total of 16 and that some teams will get a bye and not have to play in a knockout round depending on how many countries and areas that are not countries enter the competition. My guess is that the top two in each group will advance to the Final Round which will have 8 teams and the same format as the CFU Tournament in 2008 and Confederations Cup. That wouldn't leave room to give the Final Round host automatic entry to the Final Round though. Taking four group winners and three out of four second place teams would be kind of strange but possible.

5. boricua10

boricua10 New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    regardless of how it draws PR will have a tough road ahead

6. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Puerto Rico are currently ranked 13th in CFU (probably 15th if we remember that Guadeloupe and Martinique are not ranked by FIFA and are better than Puerto Rico) - in fact, maybe even 16th if we count French Guiana. In those circumstances, even qualifying for the 8-team CFU finals would be a success, never mind the Gold Cup.

The last (and only) time Puerto Rico even managed to qualify for the Caribbean Cup final tournament was in 1993. In qualifying, they won a 4-team group in Guyana without conceding a goal (1-0 v Barbados, 2-0 v hosts Guyana, 4-0 v Cayman Islands). In the finals in Jamaica, they won 1 and lost 2 and failed to reach the semi-finals. (W 3-0 v Sint Maarten, L 1-0 v Jamaica, L 1-0 v Saint Kitts & Nevis).

7. boricua10

boricua10 New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    your right but your going to be suprised how good this team is in the near future... besides i dont think martinique, Guadalupe or French guiana can tie Honduras as PR did

8. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yes, Puerto Rico is definitely at a different level just now from what they were in the past, and I think that they do have an excellent chance of getting to the Final 8 in the Caribbean. But they will have to perform very well to reach the semi-finals and get to the Gold Cup. Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago I think are better than PR at the moment, then you have Haiti, Cuba, Guadeloupe, Martinique all close behind. It'll be hard to break into that group.

Also, lest we forget, 17th June 2007 - Guadeloupe 2-1 Honduras at the Gold Cup. ;)

9. PRSoccerfan17

PRSoccerfan17 New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    When are the tryouts for the Puerto Rican U20 national team? i heard that they are in January but i'm not sure can someone help

10. boricua10

boricua10 New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    no one knows if PR is set to compete for the qualifying for te under 20 world cup

11. PRSoccerfan17

PRSoccerfan17 New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    ok thank you, do you know when the tryouts are being held and who to talk to that knows?