2010 Preseason

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by kool-aide, Mar 5, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was at camp when it opened? How's Kai's rehab and prognosis? Those questions aren't answered in this preseason check-in article but it is an interesting read none the less.

eta: for the fitness freaks, in one of Averbuch's NYT pieces she notes that the coach asked players to target being able to do 10 pull ups & reach level 16 on the beep test (she said there were other fitness goals but I don't think they were mentioned).

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    per facebook, Rampone has given birth to a 7lbs 2 oz baby girl.

And Brittany Taylor signed a 3 year contract with the team.

If you've been following Averbuch's NYT pieces, you'll know that two of the fitness goals set for SBFC players (to achieve by camp) is 10 pull ups & level 16 on the beep test.

Hey, SB GM, will you please give us an update on Kai's shoulders & rehab status?

3. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    any news from preseason camp? How are the draftees doing?

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The preseason rosters are out.

And WUSA fans, Jen Grubb is on the roster (might have to scurry over to the Washington forum to announce that one...). Dang, I thought she was done playing and settled in w/ her coaching gig. Very interesting. Also, given the lack of depth in central defense until both Rampone & Asanti are healthy, she could actually make a roster (at least initially). Dang.

eta: in my surprise (and haste), I neglected to mention that there are only 7 midfielders listed on the preseason roster. I'm fairly certain that 6 or the 7 are definitely on the final 18.

I also hope that Washington will be brought along slowly in her recovery. Her talent is too huge and potential to be amazing.

5. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Last I heard on Tasha, she had been working out really hard to get back in shape. She's listed on the preseason roster (in the active section) so I'll assume she's ready or very close to ready to play again.

6. Junction8144

Junction8144 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    From a tweet by the SkyblueFC manager:

"Competition in camp is high...Kerri Hanks released before we left for Florida. "

7. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    what a downfall for hanks, college player of the year to being traded to sky blue then released next season, her path has really declined and it is sad to see, I can't see a team picking her up, but there's always hope.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it so much a downfall? Or just that she was a highly successful college player that (as of yet) wasn't a successful pro striker? If she wants to continue in the pros, I think a move to midfield might be a consideration. Is it too late to join teams in Norway or Sweden? b/c that might be a good option for her to try if she doesn't catch on w/ another WPS team.

eta: and maybe she was released this early to give her a chance to catch on w/ another team.

9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hanks was listed on the pre season roster released on Monday, so hard to believe that she showed up on Sunday or Monday so out of shape that Miettinen cut her on Tuesday.

Since Hanks was likely going to be a bench player, maybe Sky Blue released her as a favor for another team with an immediate need for her to fill. Atlanta ?

10. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Was she that out of shape? Hard to believe a player would show up out of shape?

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think it might be more that the slots available for strikers at SBFC is pretty tight--you've got Kai, Kalmari, and Lanström as givens. How many forwards will SBFC carry on an 18 player roster? 4?

That said, if a player on the bubble did show up out of shape (and I can't believe a returning pro would do that--it would be career suicide, right?) that would be an easy cut.

12. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Agree, can't assume she was out of shape. I think it has more to do with the talent on this sky blue team. Actually, I am a little stressed out about the depth on this team! For forwards, along with the above mentioned, Katie Shoepfer and Megan Snell are listed as forwards. Rosana can also play as a forward, as can White. In the midfield, you have: Averbuch, Rosana, White, HAO, Lloyd, and Washington when she recovers. Where are they going to put everyone?!

13. bekairos

bekairos New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Philadelphia, to be exact. They added her to their preseason camp yesterday.

14. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My source said to go south; I thought the South, not south on the Turnpike.:)

I still think it was an arranged deal.

15. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    I like Hanks, she needs to knuckle down and give 150 %. I think for a forward she is too slow so midfield is probably her best bet. It's a shame she is going from team to team because she is talented but Pro soccer is so different to college soccer the competion is high and players are remarkably fit and skillfull.

16. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Hey Folks - sorry for the silence - it is a very busy time. Here are some updates:
    1. Tasha Kai is looking AWESOME!!!!! She is fit and training hard - she was diving all over the place the other day in a scoring drill - poetry in motion - she has shown up with an agenda and I think will have a fantastic season. 2. Our roster depth - it's a beautiful thing, isn't it? Pauliina will have a real job on her hands getting them all on the field, but that isn't such a bad problem, is it? 3. Kerri Hanks - Kerri came into camp IN SHAPE - so forget that. Our depth and numbers made her the victim, and we decided that if we made the move early she might have a chance to catch on somewhere else. Kerri has been fantastic to work with and I was sorry to see her go. I'm glad that Philly is giving her a look - but I don't see her as a midfielder. 4. Positions - don't go by everything you read - players can play other positions that what they are listed as. For example, Kiersten Dallstream is listed as a forward, but played outside back for the U-20's. We need versatile players because of our roster situation - and we have found several VERY good one's.

Thanks for being interested in us. I will try to log in here as much as possible - but honestly you can stay up to date faster by following me on twitter - www.twitter.com/SkyBlueFC_GM. Faster and easier to use during the day. You can also email me anytime for info - gmarrone@skybluesoccer.com.

17. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that Kai is back with a vengence!

18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Hanks back with NJ? And is the roster on your web site up to date for the current 24 players?

19. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    If it's current, looks like Sheree Gray is back in NJ as well!

20. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Kerrie Hanks is no longer with us. She had a look in Philadelphia and they released her as well. Sheree Grey is with the team in Florida attempting to make the roster.

21. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update your roster Gerry!

GMPhilly told us she's going to try and catch on with another team(couldn't tell us which)....She's on her way there today. I assumed it was to Jersey as she is listed on your website....

Kerri Hanks is becoming the Andy Williams of WPS....

but I wouldn't mind Tony taking a peek...

22. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    tonights game:
    Sky Blue- 5
    FSU- 0

23. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Great start to the season - showed our depth.

Hanks is in the Atlanta Beat camp as of today along with Lauren Sesselmann frm SBFC last year.

24. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I wish Hanks luck but neither her nor Walsh impressed me while playing for Sky Blue. I will miss Parker and losing Sitch broke my heart.

25. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    SkyBlueGM is tweeting from the game today.