2010 Preseason Catch-all thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ring and Wondo both. I like Wondo and hope that he makes the team. Also, he played a sort of withdrawn striker role for us one match, his first game in Shittle I think. Where Frank wanted him to help link the midfield and forward(s). I thought he might be worth a try at center mid after that, but it never happened. Maybe now he'll get a shot?

Yes, very cool that Ring looks good at center mid. Decent center mids are hard to come by, so it's important that we find and keep as many young ones as we can.

None of the projected starters played, so no Eduardo. I sure hope that we close the deal with him. The early reports are that he looks good, and we need the help. Maybe Gjoey can replace Convey? Please?!

Go Quakes!! :D
    Practice like winners!!

- Mark

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this will be an issue because he has a brand new contract. They wouldn't do that unless they were keeping him.

5. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is the latest preseason update from Montez. Mark your calendars.

6. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    More info from centerlinesoccer:

Earthquakes release more of their preseason schedule:

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I am very happy to hear that some of the rookies are impressing among the senior players. Sounds like Morrow especially is looking like a hot pick. I'd like to have my fears over Q's passing and ball control allayed by some positive reports.

10. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Eduardo did travel to Phoenix and is looking good. So, I hope that bodes well for signing him.

11. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I also noticed that he keeps being referred to as a forward. It is starting to look like we have a squad that is unnecessarily deep in attack and central midfield (and even central defense once Opara and Jason are in the mix) while we are sort of bare at wide positions both in midfield and in defense.

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't know about that: We DO have two (albeit questionable) LMs in Convey and Coralles (with Morrow as a possiblility), Alvarez as RM (Morrow is supposedly two-footed so a possibility here as well), Leitch and Beitashour at RB, and Hernandez, Corrales, Morrow (and still potentially Zaher) at LB. That's just of the top of my head. I don't know that it's a matter of concern yet.

I think it's a little amusing - considering that over the past two seasons, the big discussion here was over how much depth we had at the outsides as opposed to the center! :) At least it's a different worry now!

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I keep expecting us to trade someone like Glen or Arturo. Even though the report on Centerline about the Quakes formally signing Eduardo says that RJ could be the first to the bench and we'd go with Eduardo and Glen up top, I'll be shocked if we bench last season's leading scorer.

You're overlooking that RJ is a left mid. He can play left back too, but that's a waste of his talents. So we could play Eduardo and Glen up top, RJ on the left wing, Gjoey on the right wing, and trade away both Convey and Arturo for lots of cap space and roster spots. Plus we still have at least two or three international signings to complete. I'm starting to get optimistic! Which means that I should start drinking more.

Practice like winners!!

- Mark

14. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes are scrimmaging KC right now. Details on the Quakes official Twitter.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. tmack

tmack Member

Dec 7, 2007
    santa cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 things.......why is elliott still wearing a quakes jersey?.....and someone needs to go down there and break kamara's leg....man do i hate that douchebag

17. methodic

methodic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Rockwall, TX.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you couldn't get someone there quick enough. He nets a hat trick in the first period.

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, this will be Simon's last appearance in a Quakes kit. Perhaps Pitch and Morrow will come on for Burling and Corrales? (Is it even possible that Frank will sub any one in for Elliott or Corrales? Do they have incriminating pictures of him or what?)

As for Kamara, I don't much care if he scores a bunch on us in preseason. It exposes us as weaker than we thought, which is good. Makes the guys think they have their work cut out for them, which they do. Also, Kamara is only going to put away so many. He can put away a bunch in games that don't count. Cool by me. He'll suck when it counts.

Work to do!!

- Mark

19. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really get the point of keeping him either. He's not cheap. He'll be off a lot playing friendlies for NZ for their WC prep and then gone for the WC. But we've all seen how much his game has gone down in quality. Because he's not a Blanco or Valderama type MF, he's just not useable in our squad as immobile as he is. What could possibly be the upside for the team? I get why staying on the Quakes roster is good for Elliott, but not the other way around.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to hate on one of our guys but I'm starting to agree. He's becoming a liability, and his upside, particularly in a WC year, is minimal if it even exists. Time to let him go and find a replacement hopefully among those remaining internationals Doyle is supposedly signing.

21. EpiQuakes

EpiQuakes Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Third period -- Andrew Weber, Evan Brown, Troy Roberts, Aaron Pitchkolan, Justin Morrow, Chris Wondolowski, Brad Ring, Muhammad, Joey Gjertsen, Quincy Amarikwa, Andrew Hoxie

This is from the Quakes' site. Who is the one name only player "Muhammad"?

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States