2010 New York Metropolitans

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by otterulz, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have this guy

[​IMG]

Jerry and Bobby. Perfect together.

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  3. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What about George Costanza? He always wanted to be the General Manager of a baseball team. Only thing stopping him was that those jobs tend to be hard to get.

5. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    In real life, Jason Alexander hates sports. He admitted that if he wasn't a staunch heterosexual, his love of musical theater would make people question his sexuality.

But, yeah, BocaFan, George would probably give David Wright a cashmere sweater with a red dot and wind up getting fired.

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Then again, my QB is a big fan of Broadway shows.

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Willie Randolph, I'd like to stay away from former members of the Yankee organization for a while.

1 person likes this.
  8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two down, one to go. Let's go traitor Giants!

9. el Rafaa

el Rafaa Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Somewhere in MA
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    finally a World Series I can enjoy :D

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Sandy Alderson hired as GM. I think his success (or not) will hinge on the degree of meddling from Jeffy.

1st order of bid-ness - ship out Ollie and Castillo tomorrow.

11. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read, Fred wanted Sandy and Jeff wanted Byrnes. I think if Fred truly loves this team, he needs to be more of a presence. I feel like it's been forever since I've seen him give an interview until the day he fired Omar and Jerry. It's been all Jeffy prior to that. He's like Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) in Gladiator.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I get email updates practically every day now. I guess the Wilpons Mount Olympus style of management wasn't working to sell those $100 seats.

13. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Mets hired Sandy Alderson to be the new GM a few days ago and yesterday announced that JP Ricciardi will be his assistant.

I think we're moving in the right direction. This is instant credibility.

That being said, I think we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. We have a plan in place and instead of a "win now" mentality that seems to plague most New York teams, we will have a plan in place, or so it seems. Hopefully we won't add expensive mediocre free agents acting as a band-aid and actually address the problems facing the team.

Sandy has already said that we have a limited budget so we can kiss thoughts of adding Cliff Lee goodbye. I am totally fine with rebuilding and am willing to wait. Patience is one thing us Met fans have. Stupidity and embarassing decisions that plagued the previous regime is something I couldn't tolerate.

Let's hope that we're in good hands.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can get into Wally managing. He kind of looks like Davey Johnson.

15. el Rafaa

el Rafaa Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Somewhere in MA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    With the Mets having so much salary money tied down on a few players next year, Sandy has no choice but to go in one direction at least up until 2012

Beltran's 7yr 119million contract ends in 2011
    Castillo 4yr 25million contract ends in 2011
    Perez 3yr 36million contract ends on 2012
    plus we got Santana and Bay for a while

Out of free agents I would keep Feliciano, Hisanori Takahashi and let the rest go

Since Dickey, Pagan, and big Pelfrey are available for arbitration their salaries will probably go up

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Mets Cutting Ticket Prices Average of 14% - N.Y. Post

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Mets Pick Up Reyes' Option for $11M - N.Y. Post

18. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Mets Release Takahashi - N.Y. Post

19. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And our new manager is..........Terry Collins!

So the search is over. We've got a new GM, new assistants to the GM and a new manager. A lot of Met fans, at least on MetsBlog, wanted Wally for the job. In fact, a lot of fans are still bitching that Wally didn't get the job. Honestly, who cares? I think baseball managers are vastly overrated anyways.

I'm not exactly thrilled that he's our new manager, but that's only because I barely know anything about him. Once the boys get on the field and start playing, then I'll start judging. Until then, congratulations.

20. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm reserving judgement until I see results on the field, so we need to sit tight.

The reaction on MetsBlog is ridiculous, they do realize that Collins has more major league experience than Backman? That seemed to be one of the main criteria in this search. Don't get me wrong, I think Wally has this job someday soon, but the comments over there are cringe-worthy as ever.

21. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I love MetsBlog for all the info but most of those fans are just ridiculous. I can't comment because for some reason I'm still not allowed no matter how many I try to get through, but I think I'm better off than interacting with some of these idiots. Yeah, you know more than 3 front office guys who all were GMs at one point or another. Of course you know what's best for this team, right?

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXicsVEoGl8"]YouTube - Mets Fans React To Terry Collins Hiring[/ame]

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I read about him, the more excited I'm getting.

Sandy was brought in here for a reason. Based on his reputation, I think the man knows what he's doing. He brought in Ricciardi and DePodesta to help him and I have no doubt that we are in a much better position than we were just a few short months ago. This is our Donnie Walsh. Let the man do what he was brought here to do.

For Met fans to be so upset without Collins having a chance to prove himself is beyond ridiculous. We got rid of Omar. We got rid of Jerry. There's an actual plan in place. Lets give it a chance before throwing a hissy fit.

And why the fascination with Wally Backman? Do they just want a face that they know? Do they think that his Wild Boys persona from his Mets days will translate well with his players? The man has no managing experience. I'm not saying that Collins' stint with the Angels makes him that much better but I don't see why Wally was considered head and shoulders above every other candidate. To me, it's ridiculous.

I don't expect immediate results but I do expect this team to not be a laughing stock anymore. I have more painful memories from the past 4 seasons with the back-to-back collapses, 2am firing, Tony Bernazard's Hulk impression, PR disasters and assault on old people than I have with any losing season that preceded 2007-2010. And I truly believe that as long as Sandy's around, we won't be dealing with any more of that stupid bullshit.

Here's to a brighter future because it sure as hell can't get any darker.

Let's go Mets.

25. el Rafaa

el Rafaa Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Somewhere in MA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    any change is a plus when we the team has to change direction for its own good, I don't expect much from the new guys in our office.... except to be much "smarter" than Omar Minaya when it came to the buying and trading :mad: