2010 MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 6

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Apr 27, 2010.

1. galaxy500

galaxy500 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dodger game at the same time and also there's a pretty big boxing population here. I'm sure the fight had something to do with the bad numbers this weekend.

2. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really bad number. If wasn't for the DCU and Revs the avg would be down right baaaaaad.

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU and Revs got 10k and 12k respectively. How does that help the average? They were the lowest this week.

4. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me give you this:...Its called a sarcasm detector.

5. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    very bad

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird though, cause the average was around 15 or 16k, so it wasn't that bad with or without those two games.

7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that had a meaningful impact. We're always competeing with the Dodgers. I think the Galaxy are reaping what they've sowed by pricing out many of their fans over the last 3 years for their "premium" beckham product. Of course, now they have no beckham and they've alienated the fans that used to come at more reasonable prices.

The first three home games this year, the FO pulled out all the tricks to artificially boost attendance. Free tickets, very heavily discounted tickets, etc... and still couldn't do much more then 20k. Last night's game they seemed to basically throw in the towel on these types of efforts and the result was 15k. I think the Galaxy have some problems to work out

They are more flexible this year with season ticket holders exchanging tickets so I think as the season rolls on the later games will fill up as season ticket holders exchange their unused tickets. They took that right away from us for several years.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Never seen the attendance so low @ DCU away before.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what 0-4 will give you. I think a shake up of the talent scouting and selection department at DCU can't be too far away.

10. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

At the risk of not being doom-and-gloomy enough, yesterday's attendance was an improvement of 90.6 per game on average over last year when comparing the equivalent home fixture (first, second, third, fourth).

It was home date #4 for LA, Seattle and Houston. When compared to home date #4 for last year, we get the following changes:

LA = -5553
    Sea = +7381
    Hou = -890

Home date #3 for SJ, Chicago, New England and DC. Compared to last year:

SJ = -1043
    Chi = +2936
    NE = -620
    DC = -2352

Home date #2 for RSL. Compared to last year:

RSL = +866

So, if I did my math right, there was a net gain of 725 league wide for 8 fixtures.

So, perhaps it's not as bad as it might appear. Three of the 5 were improvements - that's almost half. And for the record, DC United had some much worse draws last year as well.

11. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Seattle 1 Columbus 1. Att.: 36,219.
    Los Angeles 3 Philadelphia 1. Att.: 15,453.
    San Jose 1 Colorado 0. Att.: 8,674.
    D.C. United 0 New York 2. Att.: 12,089.
    New England 1 FC Dallas 1. Att.: 10,057.
    Chicago 1 Chivas USA 1. Att.: 13,224.
    Real Salt Lake 2 Toronto FC 1. Att.: 12,659.
    Houston 3 Kansas City 0. Att.: 16,042.

12. galaxy500

galaxy500 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a huge drop for LA. I hope it's not a continuing trend. At this point I say get rid of Beckham, drop ticket prices, and let's sell out the HDC every game like I know we are capable of. Remember our first year in Pasadena?

13. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You're saying DC fans only sing when they're winning? :D

14. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or our first five years at the HDC where we average attendance went up every year until we reached 24k.

15. Jeff D. Fulton

Sep 8, 2005
    HDC: A big boxing match always has an adverse affect on Galaxy attendance. But, also they have been changing a lot of little things at the HDC for the worse. Example: Two weeks ago (for the first time) the parking attendants would not let anyone who entered off of University Drive park in the upper (stadium level) lot. This left many of the people who might have come back for this game annoyed that they had to walk 20 minutes each way when there was ample parking in the upper lot.

I know this is just a small annoyance, but I actually would have gone to the game yesterday if they would let me enter off of University and park into the upper lot. Getting in and out of the HDC is one of my major problems with going to see the games live, That little trick saves me 30 minutes every game.

I watched on FSW instead. No need to pay to $15 park and walk 1 mile each way.

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is those would be weeknight games though. I can't remember the last weekend game that was this low. Maybe on a day with horrible weather or something.

17. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I somewhat pleased that the Galaxy has actually started being accurate with the numbers. Last night at the game, I looked around at the crowd and muttered, there's only 16K people here (which looks bad in a 27k stadium).

Of course, Chivas USA still says they have 14k when they only bring 9.

tm

18. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In soccer world, it's called white lie..

19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The Chicago Blackhawks opened their playoff series against Vancouver at 7PM and there was the boxing match. I'm pleasantly surprised with the attendance in Chicago, all things considered.

20. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    additionally, it was a double-header with the WPS team...right?

I was really surprised at the (lack of) crowd size when the broadcast started.

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much of that ticket revenue goes to the club and how much goes to the USSF?

22. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, that game was going to go to Chicago but there was a conflict with a Mexico game (this was before Bridgeview, right?).

23. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    It IS bad... when you've been spoiled. ;)

But really, in this economy, even a 0% increase attendance from last year would not be bad at all.

24. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Average for the week: 15552

25. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    except they aren't.
    (sorry i just noticed this discussion...)
    you can't buy a ticket for $15 because there's a $3 handling fee on each and every ticket. i paid it, and was told everyone paid it.
    they advertised '$15 for any ticket,' my ticket rep told me $15 to my face, but when you get to the window, for $15 you don't buy squat.
    it's $18 a ticket.