2010 MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 2

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 29, 2010.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Those are historically correct facts but I took the other poster to be discussing how well the FOs of each team operate. I don't know the Seattle situation but results do speak...no? As for Toronto, not only is MLSE a very slick sports marketing machine...the specific people they have put on the "soccer file" there have done a great job (off the field).

Anyway....it would look like we should be expecting an average crowd of around 20k this week.....how often has that happened?

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, Dallas has a much more developed light and commuter rail network than Seattle.

That being said, the line that services Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl just opened last year, just in case anyone had the bright idea that that was ever a factor in the Burn's attendances at the Cotton Bowl.

3. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it getting to Frisco anytime soon?

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frisco isn't a DART member city. Since they neighbor Plano, which is a DART member city, they could theoretically join.

However, the state allows cities to levy a 1% sales tax for either a transit authority or a community development corporation, and Frisco has chosen to use it on the latter... which helped provide the funding for PHP. To join DART, Frisco would have to pay that 1% into DART, just like all the other member cities, which they have not been exceedingly interested in doing.

BTW, this is how Arlington has had the money laying around to build stadiums for the Rangers and the Cowboys. They are the largest city in America with no public transit, and every time the issue of public transit comes up in Arlington, it gets voted down by the public.

5. SeaM

SeaM Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wholly unfamiliar with what's going on here.

The last Mayor wouldn't allow them to tear down housing to build P&Rs within the city limits. That's got good and bad points to it, and most big cities don't insert P&Rs at their urban train stops. Instead they run buses on shuttle runs between the nearby neighborhoods and the stations. Did Portland really level buildings in the neighborhoods the trains serve for P&Rs?

This first line only has two stops past the city limits, and no one would argue there isn't parking around them. Major stops on the next line that actually goes to the suburbs will be where P&Rs and transit plazas exist now.

You're welcome.

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHA. Seriously, I've seen several stops on the Seattle light rail line where there are EMPTY LOTS that cannot be used because of the city ruling about park and ride on the light rail. These lots and empty spaces are owned by Diamond Parking. I've stood next to TWO of these lots. They might not be on the exact stop corner, but they are within a block or two and were intended to be used for this purpose. Unfortunately, as I said, Diamond Parking owns these lots, so instead of being incentive driven, it will be money driven and will fail. I would drive to work every day in down town Portland if I had to pay for Park and Ride. ******** that.

I understand the bit about the housing, which is the right way to go, but there is no justifying these empty lots. Hell, I even heard the mayor of Seattle comment on this exact situation regarding these empty lots along these lines. The entire thing was about how the original though to not allowing parking along the lines is so that people rely 100% on public transit. He said, it isn't working, people aren't doing that, and he thinks it's because there is a lack of park and ride options on the line. It came from your mayors mouth, not mine. I'm just regurgitating what the mayor of the city you claim I know nothing about said... I'm gonna guess he knows a hell of a lot more about the city than you.

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several pay parking lots cropped up by the MLK stops and those were cracked down on, but you're talking about an area that is already used to taking public transit and no one from the suburbs is going to be driving down MLK to get to a park and ride, it would take longer to drive to those lots than it would to drive into downtown on I-5. The only light rail stop that is easily accessible from I-5 is the Tukwilla station and that has a free park and ride that can hold about 600 cars.

The problem right now is that the light rail line doesn't have much penetration into the suburbs. It's not until East Link is finished that the light rail line will actually hit a surburb with a lot of commuters into Seattle and those stops will have park and rides.

8. Couverite

Couverite Guest

The Marquis, you are dumb.

The private lots thing was to disincentivize asshole corporations like Diamond from buying up property to be turned into new lots in Rainier Valley (where property values are depressed enough for them to do that) instead of shit like housing and businesses. Oh no, now they can't make money from their plan and will have to sell to people who might want to build something on it. Boo hoo. Considering the damage Diamond has done to the urban environment in Seattle, Portland, Boise and Spokane, I cannot understand taking a position that it was okay for them to carry on!

Also, I do not know if you noticed but parking in downtown Seattle is KA-RAZY expensive - at least twice what it is in Portland. It would be very easy (considering the low cost and high speed of Link) to come up with a pricing scheme that beats the crap out of downtown including time and ticket as costs.

Which mayor are you quoting? This should be entertaining.

9. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current mayor, I'm not quoting, paraphrasing, because it was said on TV in Seattle when I was there a couple months back. He was newly elected at the time.

Yoshou basically explained another reason why the Seattle rail is a failure. That the lots that are out there are so inconvenient for suburban commuters that they won't use it. They'll just drive to work. That completely defeats the point. Like I said, this isn't a dig on Seattle, it's a fact, and one so far nobody has been able to refute or even disagree with, though it would seem all of our reasons differ. I think we can all agree that various oversights by the city are the cause. Those lots can be taken by the govt under eminent domain, can they not? It's for transit, if they are free park and ride lots, it shouldn't be an issue. Portland did this, Gresham did this, Hillsboro did this, Beaverton did this. Now we have free park and ride lots all over the outer areas of the light rail and the thing is PACKED.

Now, let's talk about attendance shall we?

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* Central Link is not a failure. You're bitching about the first segment in a light rail system that will ultimately go as far east as Redmond, north to Everett, and south to Tacoma. MAX's first line was built in 1982 and went from Gresham to downtown Portland and over the next three decades they've expanded it five times to include more. Seattle just started their light rail system and in 30 years it will be at least as big as Portland's currently is.

13. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a failure as long as they do not give people incentive to use it with park and ride. FREE park and ride that is. Perhaps the municipalities like Bellevue, Redmond and the like will aid Seattle in this, because it's clear they aren't willing to give the riders incentive.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really need to stop now. The lack of park and rides near the MLK stops does not hurt ridership, but would harm development in that area. The MLK area is already a community that is used to taking public transit, so the lack of parking does not impact them. KC Metro has also adjusted their routes with East/West routes that feed light rail in that area and the ORCA card can be used on both KC Metro and Link, so for the people that would be taking the light rail system, there isn't a need to drive to PnRs. The only stop that needs a PnR is the Tukwila station and that has one..

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    You both need to stop - I'd rather read move KC trolls than this. Joehooligan where are you when we need you? :D

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Move KC!!! Perhaps to a nice new SSS? In a beautiful, growing, affluent Dallas suburb!!!! :)

17. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    There that's better. MLS fixed Dallas' attendance problems today anyway. Now they can sign Denilson and two of his cousins as DP's. :D

18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes...and if they each invite 4 family members that boosts attendance by 12!!! (just a follow on joke....really).

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The fat Denilson or the Arsenal Denilson??? :)

If we needed to sign two cousins in order to get the Arsenal Denilson......I'd take that deal. Could the cousins be worse than Bruno Guarda and Peri Marosevic?

I'm thinking that a public execution of the lowest rated FCD player after every match.........wouldn't even lead increased attendance. Uday Hussein for FCD General Manager!!! Although we might get some anti-death penalty bible thumpers in there.

See FCD needs to start thinking outside the box. Anti-death penalty bible thumpers are potential FCD match attendees too.

20. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The vast majority of bible thumpers in the South are pro death-penalty

21. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move KC, did you see how low their attendance was? MOVE THEM!

:)

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially in Texas.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people just need killin'.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Potential Season Ticket holders then?

I will admit that under this plan, it may be hard to sign players. I can imagine the draft.....with each player in the green room crying while FCD is on the clock.

See FCD needs to learn from the Spartans..........

We can no longer afford to accept puny performances. If Brek Shea doesn't play well in the next match, we'll threaten to boil him like a lobster. Think he might improve on the poor effort from last week? Think he might actually consider completing a pass? How about a cross Brek? Something? For each "Hejduk" that flies right into the stands.........a fingernail will be torn out!

Man............attendance would improve dramatically.

25. SeaM

SeaM Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can agree to disagree that you have any idea what you're talking about. This is an urban line. Nice that Portland isn't that urban, but don't push your small-town ways on us big cities.

Let's get back to wanting to move FC Dallas.