2010 MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 2

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 29, 2010.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the fact that the Rapids canceled their charity game a week before the season started this year due to a major snowstorm.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never forget RSL's first game, against NY, where someone had to hold the ball in place during a free kick.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there. That game should have been postponed, and would have been for sure had Giants Stadium not been turf.

Had the Red Bulls season opener been two weeks before it was, that would have been postponed due to the epic rainfall that hit the Northeast.

Of course, if it was a week earlier than it was, it would have been played in 65 degree weather instead of the 35 degrees that it was.

4. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. We need to stretch out the season even if we don't add more games in order to have more breaks for international duty, but the weather is a challenge.

On April 8, 1979, the former Toronto Metros-Croatia played their home opener under their new name, the Toronto Blizzard. Of course, it snowed buckets at half time. TFC could rename themselves Coconuts FC, but I don't think that would result in balmy home games in April.

5. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It would have this past weekend. :D

6. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ji Sung Park :D

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Korean.....no?

8. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Indeed.

9. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
  10. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of it from the player's point of view. Preseason starts in early to mid February. So a non playoff team has three months off while an MLS Cup team has 2. If we add 4 games, that's four additional weekends, or about a month. The offseason would go down to 1 month for MLS Cup teams.

As for your other point, the league isn't shutting down for the whole month of June. Just the two weeks of the group stages and then the weekend of the semis and final.

11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The semi's are on a Tuesday and a Wednesday, and the MLS is playing the weekend of the final. Though the final is on a Sunday and the only MLS game on Sunday appears to be night game at Seattle. The 3rd place game is on Saturday at 2:30pm eastern (I think) with no MLS games scheduled concurrently, but plenty scheduled around it. Likewise, MLS has games on July 2 and 3, same days as the quarterfinals, but at different times.