2010 MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 1

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 23, 2010.

1. JustSoccer

JustSoccer Member

Aug 5, 2001
    nyc
    Red Bull Arena

Just got back.

No need to worry about the Arena. It will sell itself. Coming back from old Metrostars/Red Bull games I would find myself on the bus trying to convince myself to come back. No more. Not a single person I saw looked dissatisfied with their experience. It will have great word-of-mouth.

Before I could hear an MLS crowd react distantly to the game. Tonight was the first time I could feel an MLS crowd as part of the game.

If not already, it will soon become the place that every American player will look forward to playing in, that every American fan will want to see a game at.

What Madison Square Garden used to be for basketball, the Arena will be for soccer.

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The new MLS site has attendance for Los Angeles vs. New England as 21,376.

3. CanadianBhoy

CanadianBhoy New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The supporter's groups of TFC officially boycotted this game, may have had something to do with the tazers and pepper spray last year!!

4. galaxy500

galaxy500 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I just got back from the HDC. Mostly empty seats in the expensive sideline section. Great turnout overall though.

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10,589 in San Jose.

6. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not enough?

Can't wait for the TFC/Quebecois games in a couple years!

7. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they banked on the housing bubble and a bunch of people moving to Frisco. No public transport and a stadium out in suburbia with a toll road being the fastest option there, fails to motivate i guess.

8. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We go through the same sad story of FCD and attendance issues every year, but still the owners are making money from the venue regardless how much BS poster are bitching about the low numbers. We're beating a dead horse.
    There're other worst things in the world to worry about..

[​IMG]

9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I believe the Frisco project has a lot of youth soccer fields and they make money

But only 8 K for a game against Houston looks bad on tv, it makes MLS looks like some semi pro league

Something needs to be done

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blah blah blah. Do we have to go through this every year?

No, "something" does not need "to be done". The league is not going to fold, the apocalypse is not nigh, your wife is not going to leave you, and your dog is not going to die.

Well, any of those things MIGHT happen, but it won't be because of the attendance in Dallas.

"it makes MLS looks like some semi pro league" -- AARRGGHH. Just stop now, please.

Why am I even bothering?

11. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way Garber has been showing his pimp hand lately (at DC and their stadium issues), maybe he should. Again this is Clark Hunt we are talking about. His dadd-eh was truly committed to the game of soccer. I doubt Clark has the same level. Yes both stadiums are "making money" thanks to concerts and crap. But Garber is the commish of a soccer league, not music tours. If he wants the league to grow (especially looking appealing on TV) proper marketing of these clubs has to happen.

1 person likes this.
  12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Well I know that Chivas struggled at the gates, and they hired Shawn Hunter, a guy with 20 years of experience selling tickets, and lately they seem to be doing a lot better

13. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Yes, something does need to be done about Dallas. It's not something urgent, but that team's management needs some kind of rescue. A sale to a more dedicated owner would be the best solution, because Clark Hunt doesn't seem like he'll ever bother trying to hire competent people to advertise the team.

1 person likes this.
  14. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Maybe PHP can be the metaphorical traitor's head on a pike as a warning to those with thoughts about building stadia in the burbs down the line.

15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's to the point where some supporters have taken action into our OWN hands to spread the word on a grassroots type of level with
    http://massivecityffc.com/ (as an example, putting stickers and flyers out in town, having events and gatherings at pubs, etc.) And this is us common folk sacrificing out time on limited funds even.

16. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their ain't no team in Dallas my friends, that team y'all keep on talkin about is in Frisco, Texas... near Dallas but it ain't in it!

17. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Ok, then there isn't a football or baseball team in Dallas either.

18. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since MLS does not have any working stats the following is fromFoxSoccer boxscores (except for SJ and NYRB where attendance is not listed, I have add those figures from previous posts):

Seattle: 36,241
    Chivas: 18, 653
    Dallas: 8,016
    Columbus: 13,536
    Kansas City: 10,385
    LAG: 21,376
    SJ: 10,589*
    NYRB: 24,572*

My quick math gives me an average of 17,921 for the weekend.

19. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the second year for the season starting in March and the second year where attendance was (relatively) low for the first week. The fan base doesn't want to come out when it is cold and miserable. I'm sorry that the true believers - who mainly watch European games on TV with coffee in hand from the comfort in their home - wish otherwise, but that's the truth. Which means double kudos to the Sounders fans coming out in the rain.

20. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Particularly the side with the "club" seats.

The 21K seems like a more honest than in the past. Although given that, it's hard to put much faith in Chivas's 18k number.

21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Given the fact that Kansas and San Jose' play in small stadiums and the FC Dallas has a serious problem, IMHO close to 18 K is a very good result

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was interesting at the HDC last night that the upper deck was mostly completely full. They must have changed their ticket selling habits because in the past that wouldn't happen unless most of the lower bowl was sold.

Same old thing at Galaxy games, the really overpriced club seats and overpriced cornerish "sideline" seats are the empty ones. Still, this was an improvement over last years home opener and was a good crowd overall. I think the Galaxy should draw pretty good this year. Not sure if we will sell out the superclassico on Thursday night, however.

23. Corwin_of_Amber

Corwin_of_Amber New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Austin
    Well, 300 TFC still showed up. I think rubber bullets and tear gas will take care of the stubborn.;)

24. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think overall that is a very, very good number. It would be fantastic, but unlikely, for MLS to hold that average.

Columbus is ok but given the quality of their play you would think they should be adding to their attendance.

Dallas - I've been to their stadium. The facilities are excellent (althought a roof would have been great). I don't buy the facility is too far out. I've got to believe its the front offices and how they have reached out or failed to reach out to the Dallas soccer community.

25. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 2 ways at looking FCD's low turnout.

1) The FCD fits in 1st division soccer by being those clubs in the various leagues in South America or Europe that pull weak attendance but I see their game highlights on Fox Soccer Channel.

2)It is time to take this team off life support. MLS owners need to fold this club like the Tampa Bay Mutiny and Miami Fusion.

Pizza Hut Park can still be used for high school football games, concerts, soccer tournaments, or other events.

MLS needs to replicate a Seattle Sounders FC\Toronto FC in Dallas from ownership group to stadium location. WA Redskins are thinking about leaving their 10 year old stadium and moving back to RFK. FCD should find a better location for their pad.

Dallas has metropolitan area of 6.3 million - the 4th largest metropolitan area in the United States. My Texas high school, Central Catholic Marianist, of 500 students would pack 10,000 people when we played our rival, Holy Cross, in American football.