2010 MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 1

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ticket sales, not turnstile count. Sounds like cold weather scared a lot of people away.

2. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fair enough

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Technically it's tickets DISTRIBUTED, not tickets SOLD. Can be a big difference. But either way, it's not the turnstile count. It never is. MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS never report turnstile counts as their attendance.

4. Bradman

Bradman Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I remember the good old days in MLS when they ran a "web page" on "the internet superhighway" where you could get recaps, attendance, and video. WT_?

The Revs will be giving Dallas an <10K run this year.

Not selling out NYRB...disaster, the _____ Fusion sold out their "stadium" game 1.

God bless Seattle.

5. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    No, it isn't.

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Not really. Not getting a stadium for 15 years, that's a disaster for ya.

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scattered singles is generally considered a sell out. :)

8. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dallas attendance is even more depressing when you consider that at the very minimum, 1,000 of those 8,000 were Dynamo fans.

9. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I had high hopes for that game due to the Dynamos. If you can't get up for your in-state rival on opening day in a g*d d*amn w*rm w**ther c*ty like D*llas on a S*turday, then when *will* you come out for a game?

I now predict not a single game over 10K unless they go on an ungodly winning run.

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Why the hell did they move the FC Dallas to Frisco? Didn't they make any studies before building that multi million SSS? Or is it that the HSG just does not care at all?

11. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember how FC Dallas was suffering for years in trying to work with numerous towns and cities to get the stadium built.. Frisco offered them a sweet deal.. And I bet that they did economic projections that showed that the PHP field complex $$ would benefit the club enough to get the project built the way it did..

I still think the bigger issue is how the club apparently neglected the spanish speaking community for a few years..

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    That is very ESTUPIDO of their part

13. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I won't say that the distance isn't a problem. But realistically the reason that I rarely make the drive anymore is FC Dallas' Commitment to Mediocrity. If they were even a team that even thought about winning championships, it would be different.

FC Dallas was fine in Frisco for two or three years until they started sucking.

14. Cade

Cade Member

Jul 7, 2008
    was at the match today in Frisco.. had a good time sitting with Matador & Inferno, was nice outside tho super windy, thought the organization was making better moves but the distance is just too far for myself and friends to come out regularly and get fully involved/attached to the team. The attendance sucked but mainly saw what seemed to be legit fans of the team/sport and far less rugrat group outings.

15. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    The attendance breakdowns for the last 3 Crew-TFC openers...

2008:
    CLB: 11,543
    TOR: 2,300
    TOTAL: 13,843

2009:
    CLB: 13,286
    TOR: 1,400
    TOTAL: 14,686

2010:
    CLB: 13,236
    TOR: 300
    TOTAL: 13,536

Good, bad, or indifferent, the Toronto dynamic impacts Crew opener attendance. Columbus fan attendance was essentially flat from 2009 to 2010. The overall disparity was due to a dropoff in TFC traveling numbers.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move TFC!!! :D

17. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    Fixed your post.

18. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    I'd just like to point out that having been at RBA today, it actually looked close to 24,000 by the end. People kept slowly coming in during the entire match, even in the second half. I have no idea why that happened.

19. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scalpers needing to sell below face and still working out the traffic stadium situation most likely.

20. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if the Red Bulls average 2K a game*--it's still $100,000 a game switch to the positive if pretty much no one shows up

*This is only hyperbole. The point is that by RBA existing, it singlehandedly improves MLS' finances a lot. Don't tell the Players Association.

21. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I think the reason for some of the empty seats at RBA tonight was due to the fact that in order to get a ticket to the Santos friendly you had to buy a 2 pack to the Fire game also. So while those tickets were sold, the people who bought them to see Santos didnt use them to see the MLS game tonight.

22. RedBullSoccer

RedBullSoccer New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I was thinking the same thing. It was a late arriving crowd tonight. Midway through the stadium really filled up. Still think they have some traffic flow issues to work out here. It was cold as hell tonight also so some people who had tickets may have said foget it due to the cold.

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, falling short of a sell out by 428 in sub 40 weather (down 30 degrees from the game last week) is cause for PANIC.

Genius post.

1 person likes this.
  24. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crowd was late filing in tonight but it was pretty full by the end. 24k is about right. Not bad considering it was in the 30's at game time. So glad to be out of Giant's Stadium. The fan experience is so much better now. We finally have a real home.

25. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the score, the game presentation/atmosphere was infinitely better than watching any game at Giants stadium. Enjoy.