2010 MLS Academy Graduate Performance Thread (R)

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by mattmanp, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is what this list is going to look like virtually every week.

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Navas Cobo, Zamora and Leyva were away with their national teams this past week....They'll see the field for their teams in short time.

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone tell me why the hell the does Chivas USA use J.Flores as a defender?? Flores scored goals when he was actually playing up front.:mad:

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The US U20 national team also used him as a defender at the U20 World Cup.

5. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect Tristan Bowen to get some first time minutes this season, especially in the dog days of summer when Donovan is gone. He played a bit in preseason and looked decent. Probably won't get any starts (maybe one or two tops) but should see a number of substitute appearances.

6. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have high hopes for the the US Open Cup to help out. I've also decided to set up a spreadsheet in open office to track season long stats to make running reports easy at the end of the season. it's a good amount of work so they better play these kids....

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes I saw and the team lost 2 games and did not advance. Flores scored 2 goals for the U-20s as a midfield forward before the WC. Bad coaching:mad:

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Najar went the full 90 for DC this week. And as bad as DC is right now, it wouldn't be a huge shock if they just played him for development purposes. It's about the biggest thing they'll have to play for unless there's a shocking turnaround.

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if Mr. Sueno Jorge Flores should really be considered an academy graduate or not, but he started again for Chivas yesterday. Once again, he was very poor and got yanked at halftime, just like happened in the opener.

He's a classic case of someone who looks like he needs a lot of reserve games to sharpen his skills before making the jump to first team MLS action.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's not good enough, and I'm not sure he ever will be. He's not a 17-year old prospect any more.............

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He's still 2 years younger than most incoming rookies.

12. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy Najar scored his first MLS goal and assist in the US Open Cup game against Dallas. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but it sounds like he was a big part of their offense in this one.

Edit: I know USOC isn't held in as big regard, but stats to date including the OC game for Najar: 4 Games Played, 3 Starts, 245 total minutes, 1 Goal, 1 Assist. Not bad a start to the season.

13. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I got a chance to watch Andy Najar and was not impressed. DC looked far more dangerous as soon as Moreno came on. I assume he must be doing something right to be playing but he didn't show it when I was watching.

In contrast I got to see another 17 year old, Jack Mac of the Union play for the 3rd time. Once again was impressed at his ability to find space within the defense and be dangerous. He's not big and the previous game I watched an outside back run right past him to a loose ball, but every game I've seen him, he made things happen. His time in the Galaxy game was the longest I've seen him on the field. Not only did he score, but was really active and creating a threat that Philly didn't have when they were playing with 11.

Tristan Bowen also made it to the field for the first time tonight. His first touch does not look to be the best, but he's very athletic and seemed to know how to play. He's good on the dribble and looks much more dangerous than Magee and some of the old guys Arena has played on the flanks. In time I think he will be a handful to deal with.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    So the 17 year old first year pro didnt look as good as one of the greatest MLS players ever?

SHOCKING!:eek:

Andy Najar has serious talent IMO.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    He's not quite ready yet to have the 'keys to the car' for an MLS team, but the talent is there. The USOC play-in was played at a sort of in-between level, lower than a league match but higher than a reserve game, and he was able to be a difference-maker in that one. Hopefully games like that will help him get there.

16. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far this season 5 players have seen playing time (Najar, Agudelo, Cobo, Borja, and Bowen) with two (Najar and Agudelo) playing in more than one game.

On the bright side, all 5 teams with Academy signings play two games this week. Between that and some key injuries (Kandji at NY and Cameron at Houston) there is a chance for some playing time this week.

17. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Probably the only reason Leyva hasn't played for FC Dallas is because he's been with Mexican youth national teams for nearly the past month.

18. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Hamid is getting the start tonight.

19. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Bowen will get some closing minutes in one or both games this week to test if he ready to get major playing time with Buddle and Donovan likely out.

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    And playing well so far (53 min gone).

21. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's playing very simply. He's made a few bad decisions that he hasn't been capitalized on for, but hes also proven why he got the start. And at just 19, I'll say that his potential is a bit scary.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Doesn't get a clean sheet, but is the youngest GK to win a game in MLS ever. Beats Tim Howards record by 4 days according to John Harkes.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For a 19 year old, he did very well.

It'll be interesting to see if he continues in goal, or if they revert to the highly paid Perkins.

24. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Fine DC United looked much better with Kurt Morsink. What Moreno once was and is now are two different things. I've only seen the kid once and just commenting on what he showed that game. If he's playing at 17 you are not the only one who thinks he has talent and has probably demonstrated it at other games.

On the other hand Hamid looked pretty good in the game I watched him. Good reactions and not afraid to attack the ball in traffic.

25. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD