2010 MLB Random News & Comments thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by riverplate, Jan 7, 2010.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    He says not-- he says he just thought the runner beat the throw...

2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Galarraga and Joyce's classy handling of the situation (during and after) helped restore some of my faith in humanity.

3. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Terrible call. Can't understand why he would call the guy safe giving the circumstances. With 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th and the pitcher pitching a perfect game, the ump better be 100% positive that the runner is safe or else you call him out. I can understand if it was the 6th or 7th, you may give the old tie goes to the runner but in the 9th with 2 outs that call needs to go the pitchers way.

Did any of you see Donalds reaction after he was called safe? Looked like he wanted to be called out. He knew it was a terrible call.

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Frankly, I'm sick of being told how umpires and referees feel worse than the players when stuff like this happens and how it will "haunt" them for the rest of their lives. I'd like to tell Joyce where he can put his apology.

I'd have waited 24 hours before meeting with him and been totally cold when accepting the apology. Then just turned and walked away.

5. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You wouldn't feel that same way if it was you and your wife and kids getting death threats :)

Yes, it should have been a perfect game, but it still would have only been a game.

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, this is several levels below Brett Hull's goal in the Stanley Cup finals on the Outrageous scale.

As for posterity, this kid will probably be remembered more than Len Barker.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Same here, but then I lost it all again ten minutes later when I read Sarah Palin's latest blog entry on facebook. :p

1 person likes this.
  8. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yeah, I read a quote from him concerning that today. Didn't take him long to exploit that alleged "fact" and milk it to gain sympathy.

9. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It wasn't your perfect game he blew.

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nats selected Bryce Harper first overall. They got Strasburg coming up and I assume Harper in a couple of years at the latest. Could the Nats be a powerhouse in the East?

11. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Harper is a hothead who may very well fizzle out quickly or wear out his welcome in the minors.

12. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Strasburg looked unbelievable last night. Hitting 100 mph on the gun and striking out 14. Never in my life have I seen a rookie pitcher so polished and ready to dominate like Strasburg. He already has one of the best fastballs in the majors and his curvball and change up are just nasty.

You can almost gaurantee that this kid will strike out 20 batters in one game. His stuff is that good.

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    He's pitching in the Quadruple-A National League.

Let's wait till he faces Major League A.L. lineups.

:D

(Don't really mean to diss the guy, but let's keep some perspective.)

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I don't know how long "in my life" encompasses, but Doc Gooden's rookie year comes to mind, and also Tom Seaver. Frank Tanana too...

15. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I was 6 years old when Doc came up so I didn't see him pitch but I know what his stats look like when he came up.

16. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

If you were not impressed by Strasburg than I don't know what to tell you. The whole he faced the Pirates or it's a NL team(which I don't get) is bullshit. How many pitchers have struck out 14 batters, walked 0 and did it under 100 pitches against a NL team this year? It was his 1st major league start and he did something nobody has done in almost 100 years!

I'm not handing the CY young award to him or anything like that. But I was very impressed by the way he pitched. If he stays injury free, he'll dominate for years to come. His stuff is that good. He throws 4 pitches and all of them for strikes. He hits 100mph on the gun and his curvball and changeup are very polished for a 21 year old.

Best pitcher I've ever seen come up. I don't care that it's 1 start or against the Pirates. This kid is going to dominate for years to come.

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely reminds me of Doc, especially that curve.

They better keep his pitch count low. Would hate to see him go the way of a Kerry Wood.

18. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...gers-/landing.html?blockID=267354&feedID=3742

I saw the ESPN game feed clip on Youtube. That must have been sickening for the folks who saw him fall.

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yanks Down, But You Won't Believe BoSox Ratings - N.Y. Post

Kinda like the way the Red Sox thread totally died around here. They won a couple of times so it doesn't matter to their fans any more.

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Texas Rangers Sold at Auction - N.Y. Times

21. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Re: 2010 MLB team threads

Strasburg maybe done for 2 years! What a shame. He needs tommy john.

That's just terrible. Kid is a phenom and now he may never be the same.

Hope he recovers and comes back like a Josh Johnson, who came back from tommy john.

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

First of all, why isn't this posted in the "2010 MLB Random News & Comments" thread? That's where it belongs.

Secondly, the press overhyped this kid and now we're to believe this is the end of the world. Maybe he decided to set a record for how many times a rookie phenom could get on the DL.

23. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
  24. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

First of all don't be a dick. I posted it in the wrong thread. Sorry. Delete the f**kn thing if it's that big of a problem. Second, the kid is a phenom and was not overhyped. He showed what he had and it was nasty. He was defiantly a future Cy young winner.
    And who said it was the end of the world?? It's sad to see a kid with such a bright future go down like this and maybe for 2 years.

25. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stephen Strasburg = Bill Pulsipher.

Moved to Random News & Comments thread