2010 FIFA World Cup Referee Appointments

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 5, 2010.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was thinking Damon. But honestly, there have been so many "nods" in recent years for the 3rd place playoff. I think FIFA could pull something here and get an African into the semis if they feel he's been good enough.

I don't think we'd see Webb on a Germany match now. I think the choices are De Bleeckere or Kassai.

They wouldn't put Baldassi, since Germany eliminated Argentina. Simon could be the underdog that sneaks in here.

This is what I was thinking. If they slot Archundia in the semi, then we have to recalibrate for the Final. But he makes so much sense for any Final at this point. I have to feel like he's already been slotted in.

My thought process for the Netherlands-Uruguay semi is that it would be an African, Asian or North American referee. Nishimura is definitely out (no back-to-back Dutch games) and I feel like Irmatov and Batres wouldn't be given games in subsequent rounds. So you are left with Damon, Rodriguez and Maillet. I went with Damon, though, to be honest, FIFA holds Rodriguez in very high regard. He got two big first round matches and he hasn't done anything since. Is he being kept around solely to be Archundia's 4th on the Final? Or could we see two Mexicans whistling two of the three final matches?

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This apparent policy of UEFA ref for games involving one UEFA team is really causing problems. It should be simple. Webb gets Uruguay-Netherlands. FDB gets Spain/Germany. If Paraguay wins then I have no idea. Damon gets 3/4th and Archundia gets the final.

Rodriguez won't get a semi...right?

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember how scenarios pretty much forced DeBleeckere to get the semi instead of the final. The same thing might happen to Archundia. They might have to give him the semi.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the policy is scrapped, this makes perfect sense.

I sense fear!

Archundia's constant presence at the top has somewhat overshadowed just how much FIFA thinks of Rodriguez. To wit:

1) Attended the U17 WC in 2003, including a semifinal
    2) Attended the U17 WC in 2005, including a quarterfinal
    3) Attended the 2006 WC representing the only country to send two referees
    4) Refereed the Final of the 2007 Club World Cup between Boca Juniors and AC Milan
    5) Attended U20 WC in 2009, including a R16 match

So he's done a FIFA cup final and he's been to 6 FIFA tournaments. And every tournament he's attended except the 2006 World Cup, he's done a knockout match. Then he gets two big group stage matches this time.

If I was being truthful, I'd say there's a very good chance he gets Uruguay v. Netherlands.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you mean here. You mean they would be forced to give him the semifinal because no one else can do Netherlands v. Uruguay? If that's what you're arguing, then I think you're making the argument for Rodriguez!!!

No potential match-up could keep Archundia from the Final. De Bleeckere could be kept from it (plus he makes sense on the other semi). The appointment logistics are almost the opposite of each other.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. In the Champions League semis. They were "forced" to give De Bleeckere the 2nd leg of Barca/Inter because there was no one else to give it too. Thats when you thought he would get the final, but he had to get the semi instead.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, but my counter-point to that is that unlike the UCL situation, Rodriguez--in the eyes of FIFA--can do anything that Archundia can. So inherently, Archundia isn't the only choice.

Another key difference is that this is the World Cup, every four years, and not the annual UCL. De Bleeckere can get the Final another year (and UEFA quite clearly has him lined up for it eventually). If FIFA thinks Archundia deserves the Final, then this is the only chance.

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My predictions

NED/URU - Rodriguez
    GER/ESP - De Bleeckere
    GER/PAR = Uh oh

3rd/4th - Damon
    Final - Archundia

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur with this. My earlier Damon prediction was mostly fueled by anti-Rodriguez thoughts.

One other longshot possibility involves Batres getting the Final. I don't think it will happen. But Archundia/De Bleeckere semis + a Batres Final also makes sense.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...what happens if Paraguay advances?

Common sense says Webb and De Bleeckere for the semis, but FIFA apparently says no.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simon gets one and Webb/De Bleeckere gets the other?

12. croref

croref New Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I don't think so after tonight. He was not good at PAR-SPA match.

13. Dutchref

Dutchref New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    The appointments for the 1/2 finals:

Germany - Spain - Viktor Kassai (fourth Frank de Bleeckere)
    Uruguay - Netherlands - Ravshan Irmatov (dont know the fourth yet)

14. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Assuming those are accurate, I would guess the Final will be Archundia or Webb, depending on the results of the semis. May be Archundia regardless.

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    With the American Idol mentality that has invaded our culture, shouldn't we have some system to vote for who officiates the final?

i kid, I kid. :D :p

16. Spaceball

Spaceball Member

Jun 15, 2004
    I think that means De Bleecker is done. Clearly FIFA is sticking by their guns and not giving UEFA referees matches with only one UEFA team. I think they consider him Dutch for refereeing purposes so he is out of the NED matches as well. Maybe he never had a chance once the Dutch advanced, but I figured his only chance was the GER-ESP match.

This now sets up nicely for Archundia in the final. The only other possible option is Webb if NED reaches the final. But, Archundia has done a SF in the past, has had a good tourney, and has no real connection to any of the teams (unless you want to stretch a language issue).

The real question becomes who does a 3rd place match assuming it is Uruguay? UEFA and South America are out based on policy. So, does it go to Damon? I can't imagine Rodriguez geting it...too political to give 2 Mexican referees the last 2 matches...for that reason I also think it rules out Batres. That leaves Asia (Nishimura?) or Africa.

I guess I go with Nishimura as a nod to his good tourney, but I would not be surprised to see Damon in there as well as a political appointment.

Of course if NED is in the 3rd place match, that opens it up to UEFA and I will go with Webb.

17. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuesday July 6
    Uruguay v Netherlands
    Referee: Ravshan Irmatov (Uzbekistan) assistants: Rafael Ilyasov (Uzbekistan) and Bakhadyr Kochkarov (Kyrgyzstan), fourth official: Yuichi Nishimura (Japan)

Wednesday July 7
    Germany v Spain
    Referee: Viktor Kassai (Hungary), assistants: Gabor Eros (Hungary) and Tibor Vamos (Hungary), fourth official: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium)

18. Dutchref

Dutchref New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Irmatov, Kassai, De Bleeckere, Webb, Nishimura, Damon and Archundia are the only guys that are left in South Africa.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely it has to be Archundia now. I can't imagine them not using him at all during the knockout stages (besides 4O).

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodriguez got sent home? Hmm. I would have thought he'd be Archundia's 4th on the Final if things played out this way in the semis. Interesting.

Very well deserved appointment by Kassai. And I think Spaceball is right that De Bleeckere got set aside due to his Dutch ties. I also think Webb likely deserved the match over Kassai, but the England-Germany rivalry prevents that.

Irmatov... not so sure about. I know he started out great, but he's shown a crack or two in every subsequent match. I wish FIFA scrapped the policy, but since they didn't, short of Archundia this was the best option.

Final has to be Archundia, for the simple reason that they would have used him on the Uruguay-Netherlands semifinal if they didn't have him slotted for the Final. I would guess that Webb is his 4th official and Damon has the 3/4 playoff with Nishimura as his 4th.

21. Dutchref

Dutchref New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Other media now say that Rodriquez, Pozo and Ruiz are also still there.

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Although I would have preferred Irmatov to whistle the final, I see his appointment to the semifinal right after he officiated the quarterfinal between Germany-Argentina as speaking very loudly as to how FIFA felt he had done in that match. I think he did alright. Not perfect, but quite alright.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I just saw the same thing. I don't know how Pozo and Ruiz could get used, though. Unless it's just a smoke-screen to not make it obvious that the referee is Archundia.

At this point, I would think Rodriguez holds the boards for Archundia.

And Webb holds the boards for Damon (or vice versa).

Ruiz and Pozo just along for the ride (and why they were kept instead of Baldassi and Simon is almost beyond me... the only reasoning I can come to is that FIFA wants to give them a taste of the latter stages as preparation for 2014).

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Webb deserves another match, but URU/ESP or GER would make him inelegilble for the 3rd place match.

Either way, Webb is one of the favorites for Euro 2012 after England crash out again.

25. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Irmatov had one glaring error in the GER-ARG game... the caution to Mueller. Because it resulted in his suspension for the semi, it potentially has a huge impact on the tournament.

I didn't have a huge problem with the caution, but to give a yellow that handball and not give a card for Di Maria's caution earlier in the match was a glaring inconsistency, especially with Mueller's suspension being a result.