2010 CFU Club Champions Cup

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by siebenw, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DaSage, an honest question: what makes people that that PRSL teams are prepared to compete in the CFU Cup this year? Mind you, this comes from someone who wants to believe in that league, but remembers the "surprise" Sevilla Bayamon had in store for us last year. :eek:

2. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    To be honest... I doubt Bayamon will be able to qualify for the Champions League, though I really would bet my money on River Plate. They have been around for various years, they have already started their preseason in Argentina, most of their best players were given out on loans to Costa Rican clubs, and their doubling their budget to bring some good players. They recently announced they were acquiring a young prospect that played in the Argentine 1st Division, and if I'm not mistaken, which I could be mistaking teams at the moment, he played for the division 1 o2 River Plate team.

I believe it will be either River Plate or Joe Public taking that 3rd spot, but I would not count out Bayamon... as they have proven to be a Black Horse time and time again. It will depend on what quality of players they manage to field, and their adaptation to each other before the tournament starts.

3. siebenw

siebenw Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Würzburg, Germany
    Does anyone know where to find pictures (action-shots) of the matches, especially the first-round ones?

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayamón just got César Elizondo and Kendall Waston (the guy who scored the last-minute goal on the Islanders in Puerto Rico) on loan from Saprissa.

http://www.nacion.com/2010-02-27/Deportes/NotaPrincipal/Deportes2283301.aspx

5. iHaveAnOrangeItch

iHaveAnOrangeItch New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Bayamon has everything necessary to make it to the CCL.

Good players, good coaching staff, good overall team. I personally think they are better than River Plate Ponce with their new signings.

6. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Somebody should put the new format up here

7. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the format is totally different than what was previously announced, and assuming nobody drops out there will be 17 clubs participating compared to 15 previously announced for this year and 12 last year. I'll explain the format. According to http://www.concacaf.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12813~1964508,00.html there will be three clubs that start in the second round and fourteen clubs that start in the first round. The fourteen clubs are in two groups of three and two groups of four. The first round will advance nine clubs, the top two in each group and the best third place club, while eliminating only five clubs, the worst three third place clubs and the two fourth place clubs. The nine teams that advance from the first round will join Puerto Rico Islanders, Tempete FC of Haiti, and San Juan Jabloteh of Trinidad and Tobago in the second round, which will have four groups of three. Those three clubs were second, third, and fourth in 2009. W Connection, the defending champion, isn't participating. Those four groups winners will play in the final group. The CONCACAF article doesn't actually specify that CFU gets exactly three clubs in the 2010-2011 Champions League, but that's what the CONCACAF Champions League website says. The first round will be played from March 16 to March 27 depedning on what group the club is in. Every club that reaches the second round will play two out of three days of April 13, April 15, and April 17. May 4, May 6, and May 8 are the dates of the final round at Puerto Rico. Last year's CFU tournament started at around the same date on March 18 and ended May 17. http://www.caribbeanfootballunion.org/cms2/ hasn't been updated and still has the wrong information.

9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YESSSSSS! The Haitian teams will be able to play after all! :eek::)

For some reason, I feel a bit "emotional" over the news, if nothing else because all the teams that are playing now (the Senior NT, the u-17 Girls, and Racing and Tempete), in their own little way, are letting Mother Nature and co. know that they are still here.

Having said that, from the same article on the CCL's official website:

So it's still three.

10. iHaveAnOrangeItch

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    River Plate Puerto Rico/Little Argentina 1-Racing Haitien 0 halftime

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are you following the game?

12. iHaveAnOrangeItch

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    ttp://rivercaribe.com/chat.htm

13. iHaveAnOrangeItch

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
  14. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    River 3-1 Racing, Final

to me Racing was the only comp in the actual group so it seams River should end up first and go to Trini for the second round.

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, and more respect to the PRSL for showing up well for this tournament.

Hopefully Racing can get it together and get 2nd place ahead of the home teams. Hey, maybe the Antilleans will be as generous as they were when they gifted Haiti's NT its spot in the semi-final round of WC qualifying. :D

16. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    It was not Racing Club Haitien; it was Racing Gonaives, an other haitian club. Completely 2 different clubs.

17. iHaveAnOrangeItch

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Same thing, Racing from Haiti.

18. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I dont know what time its at right know but its in the second half, RIVER 4 HUBENTUT 1, it's clear that the Puerto Rican side is above the rest in its group.

19. iHaveAnOrangeItch

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Damn, I think Mr Warner is not going to be too happy that P.R is slowly becoming a club power in the caribbean. Maybe that's why most of the games scheduled at the Loubriel have been moved/rescheduled?

I hope Bayamon F.C destroys their group just as easily.

20. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    RIVER 5 HUBENTUT 1, Final

21. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I hope so too. But I doubt they do it in the same fashion as River.

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? More competition in the region = more interest (good for us, but for Uncle Jack...) = more $$$$

23. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Group C in St Vincent :

Leo Victor (Suriname) - Joe Public (T&T) 3-4

24. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Ouch.. Uncle Jack will definitely not be happy!

25. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway