2010/2011 Portugal Clubs Coefficient Watch [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: Clubs' started by GoodDead, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarcaFan

BarcaFan Member

Nov 14, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ok thanks, that should be enough to claim #1 spot this year, 2nd in the 5-year period.

2. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's totally bizarre but I think you're right--bonus points for reaching the QF, SF, and Final of the major competitions, but no bonus for winning them.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/calc.html

3. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You might find this thread interesting:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1684333&page=7

4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I've noticed before ;)

The funny thing is that this group consists of a non-portuguese majority and I did inquired a few members in that forum. All of their responses were similar to Footy's, even from the most level-headed.
    The whole arguement with BocaFan was just to ignite heated responses and then compare to goliath's. They definitely have alot in common but I won't nitpick at that. There's one essential clue that should be obvious for anyone if you look carefully.

No point of going there and throw rotten tomatoes at him, it became pretty obvious that he is a troll and BocaFan is either another account of his or they're hand in hand in a trollish mission to conquer BigSoccer.

Who cares really? At the end of the day we're all having a laugh because he's being played.

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just sayin if Porto makes the final Portugal finishes first overall in coeff points.

Not bad. ;)

6. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Hmm, so if it takes 5 wins to overcome France (according to palynka). It means that we would need for FC Porto to win both legs and no draws between Benfica and Braga. Then in the final someone must win before penalties time.

Is this correct?

7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I said that absent bonuses, though. I couldn't find info about those.

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    weather their is wins or draws in Bra-Ben Portugal will get exactly the same amount of points. It is all down to Porto winning both legs.

9. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By my reckoning, there is one scenario for us to pass France without Porto maxing out on points in the semi. Here's how:

We currently need 2.166 points to pass France:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2012.html

That means we need 11 net UEFA points to pass France (given the five-team multiplier). You can't get partial UEFA points (at this stage anyway), so while we technically need only 10.83, the decimals are moot.

The Ben/Bra semi will net 5 points for Portugal, regardless of results. Each game will net two points (for two draws, or one win and one loss), and there will be a bonus point for reaching the final.

An all-Portuguese final will net only 2 points (two points for a win and loss or two draws), since there is no bonus for winning (which I don't think there is based on my reading of the UEFA rules, but would love to learn that I'm wrong about this).

So if there is an all-Portuguese final, we're guaranteed 7 points, not counting Porto's contribution from the semi if they win through and get to the final.

Porto could get 3-5 points while still advancing to the next round (and as many as two without advancing, but that wouldn't do us any good). So in addition to the seven guaranteed points, there would still need to be 4 points, so Porto could accumulate this even without winning both legs, if they drew and won, netting 1 (draw) + 2 (win) + 1 (bonus).

In other words, that scenario (4) plus the final points (2) plus the other semi (5) adds up to 11, and then divided by 5 is 2.2, which is just barely enough to pass France.

If any of the calculations or assumptions are wrong, let me know.

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That looks right, we need Porto to win both legs so that next year we will start about 1 point behind France.

All that would do is make life easier for the 3rd place team to get into the CL.

11. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think that if Porto won both semifinal legs, that would mean we'd start next year 1.8 points or so _ahead_ of France, regardless of the result of the final.

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  13. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow--Porto does it again, coming from behind after going a goal down in the first half against Villarreal to crush the Yellow Submarine 5-1, thanks to FOUR goals from Falcao (more or less locking up top-scorer honors in the Europa League, so suck it, Giovanni Rossi). That tie's not officially over, but it's damned close--Villarreal would have to win at least 4-0 to overturn the margin. And for UEFA points reasons, it would be great to have Porto get at least a tie in Spain next week. But with that win and Benfica's 2-1 victory over Braga (which is a really narrow lead--Braga can overturn that with a 1-0 home win), the big news is: we've passed Spain in the UEFA rankings for 2010/11. We're now at 17.6, while they're at 17.2.

But here's the big news: if Porto makes the final, we will pass England and end up #1 in the UEFA points race. Here's why:

England's max point total, even if ManU wins out, is 18.64.

Spain's max point total, even if Real/Barca wins out, is 17.784.

Portugal's minimum point total, even if Porto loses and doesn't make the final, and Braga/Benfica loses the final, is 18.2.

But if Porto makes the final, that guarantees us 1 bonus point as well as 2 points in the final regardless of result, for .6 UEFA points, and 18.8 total, which would put us ahead of England's and Spain's best outcomes. In fact, if Porto wins out then we could set a record for most UEFA points in a season with 19.2 (previous record: Spain, 19, 2006/07).

14. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :eek:

15. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    :eek:

16. Paposeco

Paposeco Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    :eek::eek: that is quite impressive! Thanks again um_chili

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    This is impressive for the portuguese league. :D

18. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    To um_chili when you say "if porto wins out" do you mean they have to beat villarreal in the next game or just make it to the final?

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Beat Villareal in the next game. After that it's all gravy.

20. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Porto ties, then we still equal the record.

21. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have the paper where I wrote all this down with me right now, but I think I recall that as long as Porto reaches the final--even if they lose to Villarreal next game--they'll pass England for #1 spot, because that way Portugal will be guaranteed an additional .4 UEFA points (1 bonus + 1 in the final regardless of result = 2 divided by five total teams), and that would be enough to make up the difference between us and England's max score (because all this assumes that ManU will win out, which they obviously may not).

22. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Porto lose (but pass) it's 18.8, draw 19 and win 19.2.

23. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I'm assuming for Portugal to get 19.2 there would also have to be a winner in the benfica braga matchup?

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nope.

Portugal gets 2 points for every win and 1 point for every draw. So a winner in Braga vs SLB gets us 2 points, a draw gets us 2 points as well as both teams register 1 point each.

25. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Oh I see, hey GD where Can i Buy a Braga and Boavista jersey, any places downtown Toronto?