(2010.10.08) Friendly: Japan x Argentina [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by OneiroPhobia, Sep 10, 2010.

1. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Re: (10.08.10) Friendly: Japan x Argentina [R]

Congrats Japan! Greetings from Holland.:)
    Is this really the first win against Argentina? Must be awesome!

2. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

I was okay with Maeda being selfish. Once he took Mascherano out of the equation, he was through on goal. No need for a striker to pass the ball when your one on one with the keeper. Honda on the ohter hand, who shoots everytime he is in the final third, is another story. He is really frustrating to watch.

Agree on Kagawa. He's obviously very talented but needs to choose when to dribble and when to play simple.

3. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

first half
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDmSBzPzRkA"]YouTube - 2010/10/08 Friendly Japan vs Argentina 1st-half[/ame]

second half
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKVgn14e1s&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_796709"]YouTube - 2010/10/08 Friendly Japan vs Argentina 2nd-half[/ame]

4. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

I'm not saying that Maeda didn't play well - he did great job ahead as a lone striker. Maybe he felt too confident after running with the ball half of the pitch and wasn't thinking too much. But Zaccheronis' face after that told everything - if one isn't 100% sure he'll succeed in an action, he should leave it to someone else who's in better position. That's football on top level (not J League where Maeda have three or four situations in game and is absolutely stresfull because if he won't score who will?) is about - to get advantage of every situation, it won't happen again in 99% of games. Same goes to Atsuto who tried to score when there were better set up players in the penalty box and again Maeda when he coul've passed to Kagawa who was clear (and it wasn't tough pass) but instead tried his luck with kicking the ball. Honda is something other - I'm almost sure that he can shoot whenever he feels so in Zac tactics (as well as Endo from distance). But same thing comes again - he's sometimes too selfish.

5. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

6 months ago I was crying because we were trying to enter the goal with the ball, I can't be mad at them if they try to shoot now, ne ... ?

6. callmeck

callmeck Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Oh, seems a very standard Japanese comment for me. Friendly is a friendly, in which a player especially in need of appealing his ability to a new NT coach can be sometimes selfish. If I were Maeda, I would have played just the same way to survive the competition.

7. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Morimoto should be dropped.

There, I said it.

8. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Comments from Argentina coach Sergio Batista:

“Japan were a better side today. They were well disciplined and compact on the whole,” he said. “We had many players who were injured. Japan were good on the defensive.”

"We should not take anything away from Japan who pressured well. We erred in some passes when we tried to come out playing football and they took full advantage. It had something to do with the tiredness of the players which could be noticed, after we started to see a more long-ball team which is not what we wanted,"

"The development of the Japan national team has impressed me greatly. This development has been crucial, they play on a level playing field with any team in the world."

(he was doing so well.........then)

"It was seen against Uruguay in the World Cup... it is what I will take back from Japan. They have players who play very well technically and also work hard."

aaah goddamnit so close haha.

9. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Could have been worse.......KOMABA!

10. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

Hopefully he confused Uruguay for Paraguay and not Japan for Korea.

11. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

You're not alone mate!!!

12. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

In fact, about 50,000 people thought so at the stadium...

Morimoto, lots of quantity, little quality.
    He would have fit well into 1992's Japan.

He needs to get into a club where he plays regularly, really.

13. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Agree. Actually I thought this year could be his best year , but it turns out to be the worst. Damn.

14. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria

God knows how many people wanted to see him in the NT (including in this forum) but Okada marginalized him and never truly gave him a chance to prove himself. By far the most complete Japanese striker.

Sato might be even more opportunistic but he is seriously handicapped by his size. I also think a guy like Koroki will fit very well in this tactic (playing on sides in a similar role to Okazaki), one of the rare Japanese strikers who can actually dribble with a great deal of efficiency.

15. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta

Not exactly a stretch. The national team should be for those who are playing regularly and playing well, not those in need of match fitness.

Japan is well past the point of having players automatically called up just because they are employed in a high-profile league.

16. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Maybe he should be dropped, but he should still be getting called up.

Hopefully this will attract potential clubs and he can GTFO of Catania this winter.

17. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  18. Matti53

Matti53 Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
  19. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

There's 28 minutes worth of highlights (every single thing that could be interpreted as a chance for either side, very comprehensive) on Japansoccer3's youtube channel. For both the Argentina & Paraguay games.

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  21. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

great article. Not a lot of writers in english know about the japanese game from the 90's. I only have followed it since about 2001 as a kid vaguely (just idolising the team, it was difficult from Australia) then only followed really closely since about 2005.

The main difference between the opinions & perspective of japanese football followers or analysts who have watched the development of the game longer is that you guys tend to appreciate the quality and the meteoric rise of japanese football much more than more recent watchers of the JNT are able to. Because you could witness it happening more 1st hand.

22. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I am honored by your comment, as I consider you one of the most dedicated Samurai Blue supporters I have ever known.

I was lucky to have a chance to follow the J.League since 1994, but keep in mind I am not the only one! For example Mark who writes about Grampus, Alan at Gamba/Vissel and of course Matsu were all here with me from the beginning!

23. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

wow thanks likewise. Yeah i was also thinking of Matsu under that umbrella of people. Read a bit of Alans writing at J.Soccer, not familiar with Mark.

Matsu's reports on the NT show the attitude that yes he's witnessed the rise of the JNT and clearly takes pride in the development of the JNT. But also recognises and reminds that the job of this development isnt really done until the JNT is considered a world powerhouse and true world cup contender.

An example would be when Japan lost 2-1 to England before the FWC and a lot of us (including me) were looking at the positives and saying all is looking good or at least much better. But Matsu's report of that game on RSN revealed a more direct perspective about that game that was necessary to consider.