(2010.06.14) FIFA World Cup: Japan x Cameroon [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by SamuraiBlue2002, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Re: (06.14.10) FIFA World Cup: Japan vs. Cameroon [R]

Thats false logic. Not only because Okada has different players and thus different expectations, but also because he is playing different teams in a different setting. Dont forget that Zico Japan - for all the criticism that has been focused at it - came within six minutes of advancing. And that despite having Brazil in their group. Troussier made it to the second round, and lost to third-place Turkey. Its going to take a lot more than just getting out of the group to earn Okada a claim to being "the best manager that has ever managed Japan." At the moment, his overall won-lost record makes him one of the worst in history

The true question ISNT whether Okada deserves credit for whatever he achieves at this World Cup (I think everyone will admit as much, and I think people ARE giving him the credit he deserves). The true question is whether the team could have done even better if Okada had been less stubborn about player decisions. Thats a question that can never be answered, but I think most people would agree that Japan would be better off with strikers who are actually capable of scoring, and a few more midfielders who can actually run.

2. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Nonetheless, if japan make the R16. It'll be with a japanese manager which I think would be a wonderful achievement for Japanese football showing japan can stand on its own two feet by itself (although i'd much rather a high-profile tactician in the close future). And other than 1998 this is probably the hardest group stage japan has taken part in.

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I am very happy with the score against Cameroon, it is a historical result. Yet, against a crappy team we produced only three shots on goal (tactical decision, luckily a successful one), and if the Cameroon's drive that hit the bar would have been 2cm lower, we'll be telling a completely different history already.

Personally, if Japan ends with a R16 result, it would be a great achievement, which would make think that with a top manager and the right players we could have made R8, or even the semifinal.

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Lets be honest that shot was more likely to be sprayed than go in that really was so difficult you can't just say he's a demon striker of the ball and it was lucky not to concede, particularly with Jabulani.

Well yes but almost any side could argue they'd be better with a better manager. This is a very tough group on paper and ofcourse this is premature but a ticket to R16 even it was followed by a loss to Paraguay would only be defined as a successful world cup cycle. And lay an excellent foundation for the next bloke.

With a top manager I think we could make the semis you're right.