(2010.05.24) Friendly: Japan x Republic of Korea [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Saku², May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Re: Japan - Republic of Korea (5/24)

Despite Korea's 2-0 win on Japan's home soil, I wasn't really satisfied with some of our players either.

Lee Chung-Yong had a very off day. Probably due to his stomach upset prior to the match OR maybe he was pretty much 'worn out' after having played football for 15 months without a rest (FC Seoul & Bolton in 2009-10). In any case, this kid seriously needs a rest. Huh should have subbed him out early in the second half.

Ki Sung-Yong's form, in particular, sends a very alarming concern to the Korea NT. After seeing this match as well as the Ecuador match, I strongly felt that Ki Sung-Yong (Celtic) should now give his starting spot to Kim Jae-Sung (Pohang). He doesn't deserve it. It was premature of him to go to Scotland without thinking how that move would have affected him in terms of his long-term development. Not that I have anything against Celtic as a club, I just feel that he chose the wrong club at the wrong time. With all the things going at Celtic right now in addition to Ki needing to bulk up to cope with physical side of SPL, the league really doesn't suit him at all. By concentrating too much on the physical side of things, Ki seems to have lost a lot of sharpness in his technical aspect.

These two 21-year olds have improved a lot over the past 2 years to a point that they've now become the key players for Korea NT. And the fact that they're not in good form at the moment concerns me a bit.

2. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I've lost faith in Okazaki.

I was his biggest fan and supporter, but after today's lackluster display. I'd rather start with Morimoto.

3. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Agree, at least today Morimoto looked more dangerous.

4. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

This 1 striker thing is not working. Put on Morimoto for Honda and another player with pace for Nakamura.

This S. Korean team is really, really good.

5. nakata101

nakata101 Member

Mar 2, 2008

I cant believe that Okada not giving the chance to other player early and still keep Okubo until 87+ minute, i only see that Okubo always complain on his teammate, but he dunno how himself play.. another one is Endo, he got few error passing which will cause opponent easily get a counter attack goal, i only can see that Hasebe is the most stable player in this match.

6. grassroots

grassroots New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Sapporo
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

But who won the last World Cup? Success is surely also important?

I agree that it is nice to see 'attractive' football but you can only play like Spain if you have players of their calibre (no disrespect to Japan).

I don't buy into this concept that football can only be entertaining if it's one touch, on the floor and 'pretty'. Intense, physical, high-paced football is, for me, just as entertaining.

To that end - in my opinion, Japan have some excellent players but there are a couple fundamental problems. Physicality - the Koreans bullied the Japanese (with the exception of Nagatomo) off the ball far too often. Secondly - width and pace. Wide players (and I mean wingers not strikers dropping off to the side) with pace inevitably lead to more crosses and a more direct style of play, which many might not like, but Japan looked one-dimensional tonight.

7. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

Looks that way. Nothing worse than a sock.

8. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

Lack of width on this team is becoming a problem. We used to get our width from our outside backs but we don't have that anymore. The whole point of having Nakamura on the wing is for him to cut in and hold the ball up so the right back can step up. Nagatomo had a good game but he didn't give us that. Konno barely did anything going foward on the left.

The negative aspect of the J League(I'm not bashing the J League) was evident today. We try to pass too much at a friendly tempo. When the other team pressures us the way S. Korea did, we can't connect the passes and hold on to the ball. The was the case with Endo, Nakamura, and Hasebe. When this happens to our 3 key players, we are useless going foward. It's fine to start off with this style but we need a plan B when it doesn't work.

9. grassroots

grassroots New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Sapporo
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Agreed. For me, also there needs to be a bigger presence to hold up the ball at the front. Many of the successful 'passing' sides of the world have a man who can take hold of the ball and provide return passes for the oncoming midfielders. For example Ibra at Barca, or Van Persie at Arsenal. Okazaki doesn't look to me like he can do that. I don't know the Japanese players as well as many of you but Okazaki and Morimoto look more like poachers, men to run onto balls, breaking the offside trap etc, not players who can bring others in against international defenders. However, this doesn't seem to be Japan NT's style. Maybe this is why Yano is involved? Can Okubo? Would Maeda have been able to?

10. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I have a feeling Hiroshi could defend a lot better too... ;D

True, and he was never fast to begin with :eek:

Yes. They lost before they even began.
    Nagatomo was the only player really worth mentioning. Honda put in a good effort, but there was nobody to link with. And Hasebe was the one chain link trying to hold the defense together.

Exactly... =/

I think Morimoto could do that job if there's any midfielders on that can play off of him. Everybody was dead and thrown in the towel already though.

11. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

Was Tulio injured for the match?

12. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Yes. That's why Okada set this weird defense with three guys playing at the wrong place.

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  13. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Technically all 4 were playing at the wrong place... IIRC usually Nakazawa plays left CB... today he was right.
    Not a big change.
    Of course, if Okada had a brain at all he could've just put Iwamasa on.
    Instead we get Abe and Konno... fking brilliant.

14. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Okada is a genius.

15. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: (05.24.10) Friendly: Japan vs. Republic of Korea [R]

Was Uchida injured?

16. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

Uchida, Tulio, Tamada, Inamoto, and Matsui are all injured.

17. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Are they injured or are they "injured" ??

18. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

I'm sure if there was nothing wrong with them, they would have played. It's really not worth worsening the injury on a friendly 3 weeks befor the World Cup.

19. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Just seems like an awful lot of people are suddenly getting injured.
    To be honest, I think these (or at least England and Ivory Coast coming up) are matches we should be playing with 100% players... maybe sub them out at halftime if they have some knocks.
    But these are the kind of games that are vital for preparation to me. If they can't play these upcoming matches, their role in the team should be seriously reconsidered.

20. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Inamoto still in the healing process, although he did play against Iwata for 45 minutes. I think that aggravated the injury more. Stupid boy, should of sat that game out.

I think Uchida has hamstring problem...don't know what the others have.

21. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

In regards to the game yesterday, what happened between the midfielders, I heard Nackers was unhappy he got subbed.

22. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well, worsening Tamada's injury would actually be good for Japan, imo.

In any case, there were 18 players fully available and the NT is not a HS team or a club with limited resources.

23. nakata101

nakata101 Member

Mar 2, 2008

I can see some of the player face are worry and sad, i think they know what will happen if they continue play like this in WC next month.
    I m sadly too said that actually i hope this match Korea can win with big margin(5-0 something), with this JAF sure will sack Okada, i m sure at least we can find someone with fresh idea to manage this team again. :(

24. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

I agree. Injuries can't be used as excuses no matter who is out.

25. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

But full strength japan and korea are soooooo damn close frankly, a lot of the game was an armwrestle. Those 2 or 3 starting players make a difference enough to lose. The difference in quality from Tulio, Uchida, Matsui; to Abe, Konno, Okubo is massive.

Could be worse: Portugal 0 - 0 Cape Verde Islands
    yes full strength portugal too.