2009 Santa Clara Broncos

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Peg Hopper, Feb 10, 2009.

1. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Its an oak that bi-sects the stands and is near the field. Its root system may extend to the field but the tree does not, barely.

2. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I aways thought the tree hung out over the field a little at about the 40 yard line. Or maybe that was just their mascot acting out.
    Hahaha....best of luck to the broncos tonight.....

3. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    The tree used to hang over the field just a bit but it has been trimmed. The root system can cause water issues, but that's it.

4. bayscr

bayscr New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Santa Clara
    If you go to google maps and enter the address

1274 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94306

it will take you to the El Camino border of the soccer practice fields. Cagan Stadium is at the far end of the practice fields (from El Camino). Using either satellite view or street view you can see the big gap in the stands and "The Tree" that blocks the view and takes up what otherwise would have been 10-20 yards of prime seating. They did cut off a big linb hanging over the field. But should have moved the tree when they built Cagan. Or done it a few years ago when they were moving trees all over campus.

5. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    If you're going to lose, that's the way to do it. A well played game and a great coaching job. Why we haven't seen a line-up like this all season is a bit puzzling. Glad to see Jerry finally rely on the hard workers rather than just the fast players.

The team gave Stanford all it could handle. It was a great display of the soccer talent here in the Bay Area by both teams. Credit the Stanford team for being tough, resilient and focused. Here's hoping they win it all (or, if not them then Portland!).

Looking forward to next season I'm very excited about the youth on this team. Vernon, Shim, Matheson, Klei and Webster are going to make their mark on this program. Add Bianca and LaPonte and I like the nucleus for next season. Wonder whether Poach will return for her fourth year.. that would be great.

I haven't heard anything about next year's class but the team needs depth in defense, another GK and striker.

6. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that was one of the best soccer games I have seen SCU play in a long time. Congrat's to the team and the coaches for really mixing things up and taking it to stanford this time. The foul and free kick that won the game was unfortunate, but looked like a fair call. I was really worried about stanford exploding in the second half, SCU again fought until the final second. While losing is always tough, but what a great effort. 0-1, who would have thought! Nice soccer.
    Accolades to all the seniors, Jordie, Court, Poach, Haley, Dani, Lisa, Kat, Kiki, Lexi, Chun. All the best! Maybe we will see some of you in the WPS next year.

7. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Not sure what you mean by going with hard workers instead of speed. To me it seemed like he put most of the speed he had on the field. Some players who have put in a lot of hard work on the field this year, such as Kendra, Anessa and Lindsey, didn't get much time in this game. Not that those players are at all slow, but Jerry played things differently last night.

The biggest difference, and I thought it worked very well for the most part, was Kat, Jenn and Max marking specific Cardinal. This cut off the opportunities that Stanford exploited so well in the 1st game this year, where they could dribble in and pass the ball thru the box to an unmarked player.

Stanford plays fast and physical, and it took a little bit for SCU to adjust to that level of play. But I think they did, particularly defensively. It was hard for SCU to get the ball into a truly dangerous place offensively. One of our best plays all year has been Kiki's flip throws, but I only remember her attempting one and it didn't go very far. I think the wet ball made that play difficult to execute.

The four freshman all worked hard and weren't at all intimidated. Jordi almost got free for a clean look a couple of times, but Stanford kept getting a foot in the way. Poach was composed as always under fire in the back. Bianca was staunch in the goal.

But last night it wasn't enough. Darn. Great game except on the scoreboard.

8. karanicole

karanicole Member

Jun 28, 2005
    What was the lineup that worked so well? I can't tell from the box score where players played?