2009 Santa Clara Broncos

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Peg Hopper, Feb 10, 2009.

1. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    In being fair, I think Santa Clara is extremely young (and albeit talented) they are young...both in years and experience of a full team on the field. Their early result against Notre Dame rocketed them up the rankings prematurely. #7 was a bit much. They are coming off of a 6 win year and are playing a lot of new people and some olders who have been off and on the field. Essentially, they are rebuilding their prestige and program.

To rank them in the top 10 did them a disservice as well as the impending results. Can they be that good again? sure. But they aren't now. That ranking and the hulabaloo with it was based on their name and reputation, not reality. Stanford is very good. Santa Clara might one day be an elite team, but this isn't that day.

2. bayscr

bayscr New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Santa Clara
    It's just another loss. It won't be the last. Best thing for the Broncos to do is study their mistakes, learn from them, and get back to work improving themselves for the NCAAs - which I'm sure is what Jerry told them.

I'd be surprised if the Broncos won the WCC over Portland. But they should certainly make the post season. Big issue is whether they can avoid opening at Stanford or Portland.

As for their ranking, I think their current computer ratings in the 15-20 range are about right. Whether they can be a top 16 or even top 8 depends on just how talented they really are and how hard they are willing to work. It's hard to tell given all the injuries they've had the previous two years. Made it hard to judge the talent of the returning players and their fitness is lagging. Same with the frosh, who never come in with the strenth and endurance you'd like. So I look at the Broncos as a team playing catchup to get into the top 16 or 8 teams. We'll see if they can do it this season.

3. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I've been having this exact discussion with friends about this year's Broncos. I think the team has lots of young and old talent and there seems to be a bit of a generation gap issue going on... some of the returning older players could have graduated two years ago!

And with four freshman starting regularly, and six getting pretty good time you have to expect some inconsistency with their play. The Stanford game is a perfect example. One good half, one mistake-prone half. The young forwards don't seem to be reading the game quite as fast as they need to - making the wrong runs and crowding space. The young midfielders get caught out of position and expose the defense too much. I also agree the the returning vets (from two years of injuries) don't have their legs back yet.

But despite that I think the team is a top 16 team, just not top 8. I laugh at all these rankings systems where teams disappear and reappear in the top 10,top 20 in one season constantly. It tells me the voters have no idea what they are voting on. If rankings change that much in one season the people doing the rankings haven't a clue.

The key for the Broncos going forward is the continued development of a very talented freshman class. The team really can only afford one more loss this season (vs. Portland) if it has any hope of avoiding a first weekend matchup with Stanford in the NCAAs.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly, the Brocos could open in the NCAA Tournament at Stanford. But not at Portland. Teams from the same conference can't be in the same Rounds 1/2 pod. That rule was new last year and still is in effect this year. It may change in the future, but it's set for 2009.

5. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Not to hijack your thread, but I agree on the rankings! I think they should hold off on any rankings until week 3 of the season. The premature rankings are only harmful and screw up the rest of the year, because coaches are fighting to keep teams in that have no business being in, or teams get dropped after an early tie or early loss.

Parity is growing which makes rankings even less exact, so we need to give teams a body of work (I hate that phrase) to start with. I could give several examples from this year, but one that stands out is USD. No way are they a top 25 team. I saw them and they are just mediocre. But they get ranked on last year's results, lose early to Bakersfield and still hang around the top 25.

I guess I need to keep remembering that the rankings don't matter and ignore them like I usually do. I only bring it up regarding Santa Clara because their peak at number 7 was laugh out loud funny. Not because of any disrespect, but because I am familiar with their personnel and their journey the past few years.

There are several teams with young talent in the west and a few newbies so that is fun to see. Good luck against Cal.

6. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
    Losing to Cal would give SCU 5 losses even before the WCC opener. But seeing how they just might be the first decent test for Portland, which hasn't exactly had the toughest of schedules, it's not inconceivable for the Broncos to win the conference title. Let's see you do your magic, Jerry.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

UP fans will be looking at the SCU-CAL results. It will be our first common opponent.

UP beat CAL pretty convincingly, 4-0. We were playing all available players for the experience at the end.

Regardless of that outcome, UP fans will look to the SCU game as the game of the year, even the last couple of years. Santa Clara never gives up, unlike some teams we see.

it's always a season highlight.

8. soccerrrnut

soccerrrnut New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Ancona
    Ranking be a boon or a bust depending how seriously you take em. Honestly if SCU could muster what it takes to beat Stanford once this season, they probably wouldnt have chosen Thursday night to do it-although that game provided telling insights into where help is needed for the Broncos! The tape doesn't lie.

9. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
    Since Portland met Cal back in August, any realistic comparisons among common opponents played now might not be valid. It's too bad Portland didn't schedule Stanford or USC like SCU did.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    That cuts both ways. Cal looked a lot better in August than they do now. Their good wins were early. their bad losses were the last two games.

Portland played USC and UCLA last year and the year before that. then usually teams rotate to other schools. Stanford doesn't seem interested in coming to Portland on a home and home, so that seems out for now. Stanford is your season tournaments partner, so it's easier for you.

I note that SCU scheduled 3 pack 10 teams this year. UP scheduled 5. all those other schools have a better record right now than USC. It was the easiest schedule we could get :rolleyes:

Like I said, we look forward to our matchup. Right now you should worry about CAL and we'll worry about Washington State.

Good luck.

11. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I said in the Stanford thread that I think Santa Clara are a good side. They're young up front, and not particularly fast, on the small side, not particularly strong enough to hold the ball long enough to involve the rest of the team. Still, an upgrade over last year's attack. Another year, or another class, the attack should improve.

As someone has previously mentioned, there is no shame in losing to Stanford. I though SCU played well enough in 1H, the difference was that Stanford have the players who will make you pay for any mistake.

If you were to rue any missed opportunity[ies], it would probably be losing to USC. I didn't watch the game, but from reading the posts here, it seems that the winner made the most of their chances.

After 2 losses in a row, the game against Cal takes on much more significance. I saw the Cal coaches walk in so they have an idea how to play SCU. They're smarting from a stinging home loss to lowly SacState, so they have something to prove as well. Both teams realize the significance of winning this game.

12. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    thank god for bianca!!

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blocking a PK is cool. Blocking a PK in overtime is indescribably overwhelmingly stupendously cool.

Start scoring, please, I think you've got everything else you need. See you on the 18th at St. Mary's.

14. fanaticdefutbol8

fanaticdefutbol8 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    What was the PK about, who took it?

15. leftfoot56

leftfoot56 New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Alex Morgan was taken down in the box. Coach Smith's comments in the Santa Clara write up said the PK was justified. Alex took the PK, went upper V, Bianca made a save by pushing it over the top.

16. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Does anybody have any injury info on Bianca? Will she return this year? How about Vernon? She didn't play against USF - is she hurt or just not playing?

Good to finally get a win last night. Maybe the victory will pull the team out of this funk, but they really need to start taking better shots and putting the ball in the back of the net. Too many of this year's losses should have been wins, but for the lack of quality finishing.

17. soccerrrnut

soccerrrnut New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Ancona
    On a positive note-we are creating offensive opportunities and putting ourselrves in a position to win games-stanford game was a mismatch in the midfield and from my perspective we dominated san diego. USF was an extremely physical test and SCU responded- Keep the momentum broncos!

18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to watch the St. Mary's game. Fairly constant pressure that didn't lead to a lot of shots. The PK was a legitimate call. Their stadium seats a LOT of people, I'm guessing it was built for football. I'd never been there except for a basketball game in the 1960's. With Portland on the horizon, I hope SCU doesn't overlook Loyola and Pepperdine.

I also hope SCU comes to Colorado next year. We should be a better team, might give you more of a game than this year. I'll wear my Santa Clara shirt under the Colorado Soccer shirt ... closer to my heart (Class of 1968), even though I've adopted the Buffaloes.

19. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  20. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anyone have an extra ticket for Stanford game on Friday?

21. bayscr

bayscr New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Looks like a big storm will be crossing the Bay Area over the course of Friday. Period of rain is supposed to be short but intense. Possibility of local flooding.

Sounds like Stanford will get doused during the afternoon. Rain may have passed by game time but obviously the field will be soaked. Could work to Broncos advantage if they're planning on bunkering down.

Stands will be soaked too so bring a towel to wipe your seat and a waterproof cushion to sit on.

22. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think the Stanford field drains pretty well. As long as it has about an hour or two before the game to drain off it should be fine. The only area that seems to stay soggy is around the tree.

23. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Imagined pre-game conversation as suggested from the movie Dumb and Dumber...

Jerry
    : What do you think the chances are of a team like Stanford getting beaten by a team like Santa Clara?
    Paul: Well, Jerry, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
    Jerry: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to play you, Paul. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
    Paul: Not good.
    Jerry: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    Paul: I'd say more like one out of a million.
    [pause]
    Jerry: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

24. bayscr

bayscr New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Won't be a factor now. The storm has already passed. Wasn't much of one. Based on the radar for the NWS the center of the storm was out in the valley. Certainly won't be any flooding from the rain that hit Palo Alto.

25. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    What is with this tree? Is it a kite-eating tree? Does the tree wear its shorts inside-out? Does the tree pull opponents' hair? Where is the tree? Please enlighten this clueless Easterner.