2009 MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 32

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Why don't you calculate the median for 2009 with and without the Seattle attendance numbers.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, maybe not, depending how closely bunched the numbers in the middle are.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would, but I really don't care. :p Is that number actually posted anywhere?

4. SammySounder

SammySounder Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And had Sounders ownership decided to limit the stadium seating to 14,612 (below average!!11oneone) and sold out every game you would have gotten the same result for the median this year. I don't think many people would have called Seattle an outlier then.

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I still don't get why we're calling it an outlier.

6. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    :eek:

7. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    They're disguising their opinion as the fact that "same store sales", which is what pretty much anyone who analyzes sales figures looks at, were down significantly.

Meanwhile, the rest of you yatter on that it's just a pure out fact that we did great this year, nothin' to do with opinions at all.

File under "silly people".

8. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about standard deviation?;)

9. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Of course it is, Bunge. You're smarter than this. What gives? Why the vitriol? You just don't like having your nose rubbed in the fact that attendance is in big slump for a whole bunch of MLS teams?

10. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Why does it not surprise me that more than one of the anti-Falcon6 snarksters wouldn't know the difference between a numerator and a denominator?

Nice try guys. In future, let it be your understanding that there would be no math.

11. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    And that it is booming for some MLS teams, should we ignore that? And that it has held steady for many teams? Some teams have seen increases despite the economy, some teams have seen decreases that were caused by FO decisions and performance. It was not a bad year attendance wise, and ignoring the success of Seattle is silly. SEATTLE HAPPENED!

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Man, someone is grumpy today. Overzealous much?
    And it's true. Zero attendance divided by zero teams is still division by zero.

So what are you going on about?

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Booming? Name three.

15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ok, I'll play. For those who want to take Seattle out of the picture, I challenge you to take David Beckham out of the picture. Figure out each team's attendance over the last 3 years excluding the games when David Beckham played. Haven't you noticed how attendance spiked when he came on board and that he only played half the season this year? What would it have been like had he played the entire year?

And then there were only two double-header games this year (at Dallas and at San Jose). Let's take out every double-header game in the past few years as well since those skew the data.

But the reality is David Beckham is as much part of the MLS season as Seattle and double-headers.

16. DUFC206

DUFC206 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance numbers with different teams included give different information. These threads serve as a purpose to understand MLS attendance both with and without certain data to show a picture of what attendance numbers really indicate for the health/interest for the MLS.

17. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]