2009 Host?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by new_skin, Aug 16, 2007.

1. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
  2. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    You have to imagine the three small venues are going to be used for the group that does not have the US or Mexico. Mexico has to be penciled in for Houston and Phoenix as well, so it's pretty safe to say that their first game will be in Oakland. That leaves the US in the Seattle, DC, Boston rotation. Costa Rica/Hondo are easily #3/#4 so hopefully they will both be in Group A. USA is going to need more drawing power from their opponents than Mexico, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada with them (Seattle, Boston) and we know El Salvador is a great draw for DC.

Group A - Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, Grenada
    Group B - USA, Canada, El Salvador, Haiti
    Group C - Mexico, Jamaica, Guadeloupe, Nica

SCHEDULE

First Round

July 3 – The Home Depot Center (Los Angeles) - Group A

July 4 – Qwest Field (Seattle) - Group B

July 5 – Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (San Francisco) - Group C

July 7 – Crew Stadium (Columbus, Ohio) - Group A

July 8 – Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium (Washington) - Group B

July 9 – Reliant Stadium (Houston) - Group C

July 10 – Florida International University Stadium (Miami) - Group A

July 11 – Gillette Stadium (Boston) - Group B

July 12 – University of Phoenix Stadium (Phoenix) - Group C

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    13 different cities, I heard today that a game in July will be at the new stadium in Arlington TX? who may be going there, and is only one game?

4. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have heard, both Philadelphia and Dallas will each hold quarterfinal doubleheaders. I really hope Arlington lucks out with a US/Mexico clash as one of its matches... (it is possible... US and Mexico are in different groups and, of course, this is Texas and Houston isn't hosting beyond the group stage. Might very well be the new Boys' stadium if a match like that occurs...)

For the second match, oh... well, I'd personally like to see Jamaica v Costa Rica. (I have a buddy who lives in Jamaica and Costa Rica's got a spirited team this year. I hope they both qualify for the quarters...)

EDIT: There is also another rumored international club friendly that could take place on July 26 at the new Boys' stadium. It would be a Chelsea v Club America match.

http://intltv.espn.com/schedules/sport/sportWizardSchedule.jsp?startDate=08%2F24%2F2008&endDate=0831-2009&timeZone=EST&Option=158&networks=1&networks=2&networks=18&networks=30&networks=360&networks=34

Oh, Lord... The match isn't listed anymore as ESPN has shortened it's programming list to May. I don't want anyone to think I'm posting baseless rumors and being a fraud, so I'm typing this disclaimer... :D

My fellow FC Dallas fans have a thread on it to (at least try to) prove my integrity. Enjoy:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963554

5. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I don't think it is any worse than any other tournament. Brazil didn't even have some of their top players show up for Copa America 2007. The only tournaments that have more talented rosters are Euro Cup and the World Cup.