2009 Host?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by new_skin, Aug 16, 2007.

1. UMass

UMass New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Boston
    something might be up.

I would like to see a Central American host the Gold Cup. Maybe something is in the works. I believe if the US was going to host it would have been announced already. Maybe Panama and Costa Rica are waiting to see how their Stadiums progress. Rommell is under 19 Million ronovation and Costa Rica is building a brand new one.
    Would to Central American nations be opposed to a Mexican-Honduras or even a 3 nation (Mexico-El Salvador-Guatemala) proposal. Sure any one country could host but past UNCAF, Caribbean and even past Gold Cups prove other countres ust do not have the fan support for other teams.
    Canada is another possibility. currently the Montreal impact are going to host a Champions cup game in the Montreal's Olympic Stadium. [​IMG] Montreal, Toronto and Ottowa have large populations, infrastructure and large populations to host the entire event. Here is hoping the Gold Cup takes a bold step to expant the Championship.

2. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think problem of having the GC in Central America or the Caribean is that there aren't enough stadiums to host it! I'd like to see it hosted some where outside the US, with Mexico and Canada being the obvious choices. But the only reason they host it in the US is because of the money all the associations make, believe me they have no trouble playing each other here.

3. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    How many stadiums do you think would be needed to make it work in Central America?

4. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AT LEAST, for one country 3 cities with at least 3 different stadiums with a minimum seating capacity of 20,000. For two countries, it would be at least two cities with two different stadiums.

Guatemala has ONE stadium that can seat more than 20,000 fans (Estadio Mateo Flores 29,950), the second largest is Estadio Cementos Progreso 17,000 both in the Capital. The largest outside Guatemala city is Estadio Winston Pineda (15,000) in the city Jutiapa and Estadio Verapáz (15,000) in the city of Cobán.

El Salvador has Estadio Cuscatlán that seats 39,000 and Estadio J.M. Gonzalez that seats 25,000 both in San Salvador. The largest outside the capital is in the city of Santa Ana, the Estadio O.A. Quiteño and Estadio J.G. Martinez both with a capacity of 15,000 seats.

You can go on to other countries but its the same story, medium size stadium in the capital, small and very old stadiums outside the big city. Then you have to think of logistics, where do the fans stay? How do they get to the stadium? How is the goverment going to protect them? What if students start rioting? That's a lot of money these small countries have to put to set up a succesful tournaments, with very little pay off if any.

The only Central American country with a realistic shot at hosting the 2011 GC would be Costa Rica cause its already a popular destination, its safe, and the government has some $ to spend. But even then, it wouldn't even come close to matching the $$$ figures that an American GC would bring in.

The American model is just WAAAY too good for Concacaf cause everything is already here, the money, the fans, the stadiums, the infrastructure. So that's why Jacko is not too fond of the idea of a GC outside the US, and every year the US gets better its just more money, not just for the US but for everyone else too. Especially after the most successful GC in history. I'd be very interested to see which one makes more money, the GC or Copa America.

So, its all about $$$.

5. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing has been announced yet.

However, the tournament will take place at a number of different stadiums, most of which will chosen from the "usual suspects". Recently, Gold Cups have included games at:
    -Chicago
    -Miami
    -East Rutherford, NJ (New York)
    -HDC, Carson, CA (Los Angeles, and other stadiums in the LA area)
    -Houston
    -Foxborough, MA (Boston)
    -Seattle
    -Oakland

You can not make any plans now, though, because each stadium will only get 1-3 dates during the Gold Cup. You'll have to wait until they announce which dates will be at which stadiums before you can make travel plans. Sorry.

Concacaf might pick one or two new stadiums, but at least 4-5 of the places above will likely be picked.

The Central American qualifying tournament will finish on February 1. After that's done, I would expect Concacaf to hold a draw for the Gold Cup and announce the dates and stadiums. (They'll want to see exactly which Central American teams qualify before deciding where to put them.)

6. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  7. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I think during that window is also the date that Canada and Argentina have recently been holding an U-20 friendly game at BMO for the past couple of years.

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Let Canada host it for pete sakes. They have BMO in Toronto, they can play in either Stade Saputo or over at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Edmonton has that large stadium with the running track.

Now the only way I'm seeing Canada for 2011 if they don't get it this year, is the stadium plans that the owner of the Ottawa Senators wants to build for MLS 2011 expansion.

But I still think Canada should get it this year. It's only fair.

9. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    By 2011 the renovation at BC Place in Vancouver will also be done. It's being renovated from a ~60,000 seat dome down to a 35,000 seat open-air stadium.

10. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FYP

The way I see it the group stages could be played in eastern Canada in Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal. Move out west to Edmonton for the Quarter Finals. Then have the Semi's and Finals in the shiny new BC Place stadium.

11. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I'm pretty sure the renovation of BC place is going to permanently reduce seating to 35,000.

12. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not certain the USA cares all that much about this cup. It will be a month after the CC and just before the homestretch of qualifying, and winning this cup, well you get nothing out of it except mediocre pride, there is no CC bid this time. The USA may even send a B team

14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody really care about the Confederations Cup? Isn't it just a chance to lose to Brazil or Italy in some glorified friendlies?

As for a B team being sent to the Gold Cup, that sounds fairly typical.

15. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff's blog has an early hint up:

Note to tanbald: don't buy your plane tickets yet. Wait for an official announcement.

As for an official announcement, if information like this is starting to leak out, I'd expect the full anouncement within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

16. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guarantee that the USA cares more about the CC cup than this gold cup.

17. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    If "REdbulls stadium" is finished in time, any chances of it hosting one of the rounds, it's not that far from Giants stadium..

18. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    It's not going to be finished in time for any games in October - let alone July!

19. killedelvis

killedelvis New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    State of Denial
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From concacaf.com

http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/goldcup/2009/venues.aspx

The 13 venues are:
    Gillette Stadium, Boston (Foxborough, Massachusetts)
    Soldier Field, Chicago
    Crew Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
    Giants Stadium, New York (East Rutherford, New Jersey)
    Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
    Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium (RFK), Washington
    Reliant Stadium, Houston
    New Dallas Cowboys Stadium, Dallas (Arlington, Texas)
    FIU Stadium, Miami
    University of Phoenix Stadium, Phoenix (Glendale, Arizona)
    Oakland-Alameda Country Coliseum, San Francisco (Oakland)
    Qwest Field, Seattle
    and
    The Home Depot Center, Los Angeles (Carson, California)

killedelvis

20. killedelvis

killedelvis New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    State of Denial
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.
    After the criticism leveled on them after the disastrous Copa Sudamericana performance, I don't think they are taking any of this year's international competitions lightly. I don't think we'll see a "B" team in any competition this year until the last match of group play (or 3 or so in WCQ) unless the US is definitely going through, or definitely not.
    Then again, "A-" teams are a possibility with the MLS scheduling matches over intl dates again.

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you click on the page for each stadium it says Philadelphia and Dallas (new stadium) get the quarterfinals, Chicago gets the semifinals, and Giants Staidum gets the final.

22. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get your point, but i have to disagree. It would be forcing a possible burnout of the top 30 players. Not only do they have their club obligations, but WCQ, CC and GC. its asking a lot, and the only reason i think that the USA will take the CC more seriously is that they really have been pointing to getting that spot and making an international mark (as silly as that sounds). I mean the CC is a garbage tourney but the USSF doesnt seem to think so. there will be quality players at the GC but i doubt youll see too much of the first 11.

23. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
  24. fcdallas2314

fcdallas2314 Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Garland, Texas, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  25. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    But will they be different from the ones CONCACAF announced 2 weeks earlier? :)