2009 Host?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by new_skin, Aug 16, 2007.

1. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance the 2009 Gold Cup may be hosted by someone besides the US? Don't get me wrong, I like that we win almost every time we host, but it'd be nice to see how we pair up elsewhere. Maybe like Panama/Honduras or someone like that could co-host?

2. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I heard a rumor that Canada would be hosting in 2009.

3. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. And I think it was the head of the CSA that stated it.

4. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada would be a great host.

5. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I would love it for it to be in Canada aswell, they would be great host. Most likely thy will have games in Vancouver, so then all i gotta do is drive a couple hours up north and watch a couple games. Yeah hopefully in the future they branch out the tournament to other countries in the region who are capable of hosting or like someone else pointed above they could do a collab thing where two countries host it.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I'm assuming that the Montreal Impact's new stadium would be ready by 2009 or earlier. So You could have Toronto, Montreal, & Vancouver as three main stadiums, because West Coast does deserve some matches.

I hope Canada does get to host a Gold Cup. I don't mind it in the USA as well, but it's time for CONCACAF to spread the wealth outside Mexico & the USA.

If the USA is grouped and playing in Montreal, I'm there.

7. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    "almost every time you host it?" dude you've hosted it every single time.

8. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Mexico has hosted the Gold Cup, but every game that didn't involve Mexico had absolutely horrible attendances. I think the Mexcian FA also played every single game at Azteca, so even if they had've had 20-30K people show up, the stadium would've looked empty.

9. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the only two times that mexico hosted the cup were as co-host with the U.S., so techniquicly the U.S. has hosted every single cup. I really dont know about the attendance. The the gold up is barely getting attendance in the u.s. too. Is not really regarded as a big cup.

10. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    U-20 world is the proof of why western part of Canada shouldn't get too many games. Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal had the numbers/atmosphere while Edmonton didn't. Vancouver was okay, but the stadiums there are too small though. I am not sure when Vancouver is building a new stadium. Point is that there should be a lot of games played in eastern part of Canada.

11. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I think at the very least Vancouver has to host a group, putting some Central American teams there (-ie- Costa Rica, Guatemala) would guarantee attendences to the game. I'm sure if they wanted to they could put up temporary seating like they did in Victoria. If CanadaInns Stadium is going to be done by then I think it would make sense to give Winnipeg a group too. I wouldn't be opposed to a group out east either, Halifax being the most logical choice. But I agree it should be mostly centred in Central Canada, it only makes sense since 2/3 of Canada's population lives in Ontario and Quebec. In addition to Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa I could see cities like London, Kitchener and Kingston hosting a group if needed. There are probably cities in Quebec too, but other than Quebec City and Laval I don't personally know cities in Quebec well enough to suggest.

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Um.

What GC have you been watching?

Sure... it's not Real Madrid-Barca at Camp Nou, but attendance has been increasing, and games involving either Mexico or the US have been well-attended.

Plus Salvies, Chiapines and Hondurans have come out and supported their teams well.

13. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I might be wrong but isnt it Chapines?

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You're right!

It comes from Chiapas, the southern state of Mexico, but the "i" becomes ever so w/ the added syllable that it got dropped.

My bad...

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Just remember, this is the Gold Cup not the World Cup. There are only three groups to go around (although I suppose you could play playoff matches in other cities).

16. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    However, there is also the chance that CONCACAF could expand the Gold Cup to 16 teams to ensure that a team like Jamaica could qualify for the Gold Cup. Because honestly I think the Gold Cup needs teams like Jamaica. It is ridiculous that a team that qualified for the World Cup less than 10 years ago can't qualify for the Gold Cup.

17. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    How about Costa Rica & Panama 2009? We have hosted the CONCACAF Champions Cup (predessesro of the Gold Cup) in 1969 (which we won) and it was a huge financial success even though Costa Rica wasn't that good in those day. Now that we are in this level, we have the proper stadiums to host it. Small stadiums that get filled up makes more money then big stadiums that are 10% full.

Now with the support football has in Panama and their increase in skill, I'm sure Panama and Costa Rica could definetily be great hosts.

The reason why I want Costa Rica and Panama to host it is because 1) Costa Rica has done a lot to put CONCACAF on the map in football despite us being a small country (Italy 1990, FIFA Club World Cup, CONCACAF Champions Cup). Panama because they are a rising force and it could definetly help if we have more competition.

I also like the Gold Cup rotated between Northern North America, Central America, and the Caribbean. Since the all the past Gold Cups have been held in the Northen North America, it is only fair for Central America to get it in 2009.

This is what I would like to see:

Year:Host

2009: Costa Rica & Panama
    2011: Canada
    2013: Jamaica & Haiti
    2015: Guatemala & El Salvador
    2017: Mexico
    2019: Trinidad and Tobago
    2021: Honduras & El Salvador
    2023: USA

What do you think?

18. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think it's all but announced that Canada will host the 2009 Gold Cup, so a Costa Rico - Panama joint bid would be 2011 at the earliest.

On the topic of Gold Cup hosting I have come down firmly on the side of a rotation policy. In all fairness the other CONCACAF nations Mexico, USA and Canada are the only nations likely to pull off a solo Gold Cup. I have proposed a few times a four-way rotation system that would go something like: 2007 USA, 2009 Canada, 2011 Joint Hosts, 2013 Mexico, 2015 USA, etc.,

For the Joint Host I suggested it could easily be 2 or 3 nations in Central America or the Caribbean (-ie- Costa Rica - Panama, Guatemala - Honduras, Jamaica - Haiti, Cuba - Dominican Republic, Barbados - Trinidad & Tobago) I wouldn't even be adverse to Guyana and Suriname co-hosting.

19. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Why? Any Central American country can pull off a solo but since we are so close to each other it will be better if some of us co-hosted. Think about it. In the Gold Cups in the USA and Mexico, unless USA and/or Mexico are playing, the stadiums doesn't even get 1/4 full! That is a joke thinking that we can't hold a relatively small but important tournament.

This is how it would be if we had the same teams who qualified for the Gold Cup in 2007. The seeds will be: Costa Rica (host), Panama (Host), and USA (current champion). In turn for Costa Rica holding the opening match and two groups in Costa Rica, Panama will hold the final match. Using the formula CONCACAF uses for 2007 the groups will be like these:

First Round
    Group A (along with the opening game):

Estadio Ricardo Saprissa - San Jose, Costa Rica - 23,112
    Costa Rica-Canada-Haiti-Guadaloupe

Group B:
    Estadio Nacional de Panamá - Panama, Panama - 25,000
    Panama-Mexico-T&T-El Salvador

Group C:
    Estadio Alejandro Morera - Alajuela, Costa Rica - 17,895
    USA-Honduras-Cuba-Guatemala

Quaterfinals
    QF1
    A1 vs 2nd best third place

QF2
    C1 vs B2

QF3

B1 vs 1st best third place

QF4
    C2 vs A2

Semifinals
    SF1
    QF1 Winner vs QF2 winner

SF2
    QF3 Winner vs QF4 winner

Final

SF 1 winner vs SF2 winner

So with there, assuming both Costa Rica and Panama top their groups they will stay at their stadiums until the final when Costa Rica will travel to Panama. The group draws I did also ensure that the best two teams in the group can't meet again until the final. The only time any two teams from the same group can meet before the final will be if one of them were one of the two best third-place teams.

Doesn't this make sense?

20. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Wouldn´t be fair, we´d win it;) Seriously though, sounds like a great idea(sorta like Holland Belgium for Euro 2000.) The Ricardo Saprissa, Heredia, Alajuelense, Puntarenas, Grecia and several other stadiums would be up to par for it. I don´t know much about Panmama´s infrastructure but their national stadium in Cuidad Panama looks good.

The only reason the US repeatedly gets it because of their large stadia and huge populations of Central American/Caribbean/Mexican immigrants, and this is a business. Canada might make a good host too.

21. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    At the most, the Gold Cup only needs three venues and I have put down the three best venues in between Costa Rica and Panama. Since Costa Rica will have the opening game and since Costa Rica will have two groups against Panama's one, it's only fair to give Panama the final.

The Gold Cup is in the USA for business and to make the USA's team better. It is only co-hosted with Mexico every now and then. And even then, unless Mexico and the USA is playing, none of the stadiums is even 25% full. It makes more money to hold games in full, small stadiums then in almost empty, big stadiums. It's a long, proven fact. So the business part is only second. It's is the USA for the Americans to get better. I mean, why do you think the tourney has such a crappy, english name?

22. mixtil36

mixtil36 Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Corona, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nothing against the Caribbean Nations, but I don't think it would be a good idea to host a competition in Haiti or Jamaica. Don't think those are the most stable or safest countries in that region. I wouldn't mind seeing Puerto Rico being one of the sites if it does go to the Caribbean. They should have the Caribbean as a whole host one of the GC in the future. Cuba would be nice but it won't happened till the US gets off its high horse. Costa Rica-Panama would be nice. The US is building a lot of SSS all around the nation that should be used for the next GC they get awarded.

23. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Jamaica´s 40,000 seater in Kingston wouldn´t be a bad venue, but the problem is they donñt have anything other than that. They had problems in the past with violence but its been cleaned up now(at least in the stands.) San Juan would be nice too, but there crime rate isn´t much different from Kingston or Port-au-Prince. And Cuba not being able to host it probably would have more to do with Castro trying to manipulate it for his benifit than anything else.

24. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are you getting this information? A few games, like Canada-Cuba for example, are not well attended, but most of the games have 30,000+. Average attendance for the 2007 Gold Cup was 36,859 per match. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup