2009 Discussion: Around the League [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Mar 21, 2009.

1. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU not getting a new stadium shouldnt become a shocker to anyone really. Bad timing for DCU... Even though a lot of us vied for their new stadium by writing the higher ups, im willing to bet a doughnut that it didnt even make a dent in the issue, it probably just pissed them off because of all the e mails they recieved.... rightfully so IMHO.

Seems like the NYRB's stadium is on hold too??? Anyone know anything about that???

2. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me, or have there been a lot of road wins so far this season around MLS? Seattle, Colorado, Chivas (twice), Chicago, Toronto, and New England already have road wins, and we're only 3 weeks into the season.

It concerns me that so many teams, especially in the west, already have road wins. That means RSL will need to start grabbing road wins if they want to keep pace. Last season, RSL made the playoffs just by holding serve at home.....I don't think that will get you into the postseason this year. Gone are the days of playing for a draw on the road, but so far RSL haven't shown me anything to make me think they will be a good road team.....although granted, they've only played one road game and the schedule makers didn't do them any favors with that one.

Thoughts? Does RSL have a shot at a road win next week against a not-very-good NYRB team, but one that always finds a way to get points against RSL?

3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I predict that this game will be our first ever win in NY.

I'm curious as to where non-European clubs would rank on this list. I would think that clubs like Boca, River and Independiente would not be too far away from that $190M mark.

4. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I hadn't heard that. They're working on it today.

5. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is going to be one sweet stadium.

6. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    While RBP is going to be the best SS Stadium in the country, they better pray they will never want to expand. It would be a pain to expand it.

First time I walked into RTS, I noticed how easily that upper deck could wrap around the north side, and how it was built to expand, which I fully expect to happen in the next 10 years.

7. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think their biggest problem is going to be filling it up!

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we'll still have the best stadium west of the mississippi...

9. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    until the next one. They keep learning.

10. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0efmXwWnG4"]YouTube - Red Bull Arena Tour March 9th 2009 Part I[/ame]

11. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Great results for RSL this week - RSL won while all other Western conference teams tied or lost.

12. poptart6767

poptart6767 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the La v Chivas games. 3 red cards, and who knows how many yellows.

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least two of the reds were second yellows. I believe it had 8 yellows.

14. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    YES! And this is for Seattle...
    "I know you like to think your $#!t don't stick, but lean a little bit closer, because roses really smell like poo Poo oooh."

15. poptart6767

poptart6767 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL they lost to the Wizards? Now starts the downfall. Bye Bye Seattle! :p

16. Dickov Del Horno

Dickov Del Horno New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To be fair, Keller was (deservedly) ejected early in the match... but it still was a great performance by the Wiz. I'm still holding judgement on Seattle until they face an extended road-trip.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the day... I ********ING LOVE KANSAS CITY WIZ AND DAVY ARNAUD!
    Well done keller! dumbass... not even nick rimando pulls that bonehead move off

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I was stunned by was that anyone even argued the call... it was obvious as the day is long! Instant and automatic red card.

19. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Does anyone know why MLSnet isn't posting the highlights of the SEA-KC match? Anyone think that the nasty phone calls Garber probably received from Paul Allen and Drew Carey, made it so we won't see the replay?

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were major issues on the broadcast last night. I couldn't get the game on DirecTV Direct Kick and many people complained about not being able to see it on MLSNetTV. So, it is possible that the technical failure was sufficient that there are no highlights to push out.

ESPN did show during halftime of the Chivas/Galaxy match the incident and red card for Keller. So, something is out there, but it may be local feed only and it is taking MLS time to get it.

21. poptart6767

poptart6767 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant believe that he did that. He was well outside the box, and blocked it. Wonder what he was thinking.

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked automatic, like the kind of move any keeper would do if he were facing that situation within the box. I think he was either unaware that he was outside the box (unlikely) or lost he sense of how he had to play the defender once he was outside the box and was in psychological no man's land.

In psychology, we describe that people show their 'dominant response' when they are in an increased stress situation. The dominant response is the one most practiced, and if unpracticed, the lack of skill becomes accentuated and failure more likely. In this case, it looked to me like he probably had a serious "Oh $#!7" moment realizing he had to defend as a defender rather than keeper. Lacking much in the way of non-keeper defender skills he lapsed to his dominant response: slide and use hands to block.

He may have hoped that it would look like 'the ball played my hands' but the ref was having nothing of it.

23. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I suffered through the second half of the "superclasico". RSL is playing at a much higher level than either Chivas or Galaxy played last night. It was painful to watch. Atiba is still a tasmanian devil out there, or at least a bull in a china shop. Talley played well and saved LA's bacon by clearing off the line. And I have no explanation for why Esky ran more last night than during the entire season at Salt Lake. Chris Klein is still class.
    Chivas being in 1st in the West is pure luck, and will be short--lived. LA is a geriatric squad.
    I will clap for Klein and Talley when they come to SL; I will boo Esky with all my throat, and I will have a gleeful smirk when Atiba comes to town, happy that he's not on our roster anymore.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be scared shitless when he goes out on the pitch. That guy is so damn clumbsy and fouls more often than any player I have EVER seen.
    We dont want him going at our backline in a heated match... not that i fear he would score, but that he would injure all 4 defenders in one tackle

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** connor casey... that was a lucky goal (how is CBus so bad right now?) and Hesmer, once again, got beat easily