2009-2010 Concacaf Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by MoRado, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Re: 2009-2010 Concacaf Champions League

Just had a chance to look at the CFU draw, and that definitely is a joke. Puerto Rico only has to win one game on neutral soil to qualify. Plus, there's no Jamaican teams taking part. So if the three qualifiers are anyone but Puerto Rico, W.Connection and San Juan Jebloteh, it will be a huge upset.

The 4th semifinal team will be one of the following:

Alpha United (Guyana)
    Greenbay Hoppers (Antigua)
    Sevilla FC (Puerto Rico)
    Temepte FC (Haiti)

3. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Apparently Jamaica's FA decided not to enter teams. That can't be blamed on anybody but their FA and the teams themselves. I'm sure if the eligible teams had've tried to enter outside of the FA that CONCACAF (even lead by Pirate Jack) would've included them. Pirate Jack had nothing to lose, his team wasn't one of the Trinidadian qualifiers.

I also wouldn't count out the Haitian teams just yet. Tempete just has to beat out the Guyanese team and the winner of Sevilla Bayamon and Hoppers (Antigua) to make it to the Semi-Finals. Cavaly has a rougher ride having to probably get past West Connection. Keep in mind, Haitian teams have been CONCACAF Club Champions just as often as teams from T&T, Jamaica or Honduras.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

They've yet to win a CFU club title.

5. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders

I would love to have the Islanders win the CFU! Our first ever tittle or maybe our second who knows :).

But I still think its unfair we get such a blatent advantage.

6. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, but I think the lack of Jamaican teams makes the situation unique this year. Hopefully that changes in years to come. Clearly this tournament is going through major growing pains, and it is going to take time to iron them all out.

7. Goaler

Goaler Member

Bristol City, Slavia Prague, Pacific FC, AS Roma, Atletico Madrid, Vancouver Whitecaps, Philadelphia Union
    England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Wow, a supporter actually complaining that they have an advantage, that's a 1st.

8. Goaler

Goaler Member

Bristol City, Slavia Prague, Pacific FC, AS Roma, Atletico Madrid, Vancouver Whitecaps, Philadelphia Union
    England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Appearently either Jack didn't have the cash or wouldn't pony up to put his club in the tournament, or maybe cause there were some shady dealings about his club in this years CCL, that they are now banned from all future CCL's as long as he is in charge.

9. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I"m not sure what you're talking about, but I don't doubt that Jack is a tad dirty in his dealings. Could you enlighten us a little bit?

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Has anyone heard any information concerning when the draw is for the tournament. Last year the draw took place on June 11. However, the play-in round of the tournament didn't start until the last week of August. This year however, the tournament starts a month earlier. So what's the deal?

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wikipedia doesn't have the date of the draw, but it says the Mexican Clausura ends on May 31 so the draw can't happen until after that.

12. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not necessarily. They don't need to know who the teams are to do the draw. They could just be labeled MEX1, MEX2, etc. In fact, part of the draw last year was done in this fashion, not for the Mexican teams, but others.

In competitions around the world many times draws are done before the teams are confirmed.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Canadian Championship is underway with the first game on May 6.

Result (highlight to reveal): Toronto 1:0 Vancouver

The Canadian Championship ends on June 17.

14. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

I really hope one of the USL sides qualifies from Canada. If Toronto qualifies all they are going to do is bitch and moan about "fixture congestion", play reserves, and get eliminated/embarrassed just like New England and Chivas USA last time around.

I also wish Canada could figure out how to get a 4th team involved. Have a playoff/cup or something for all the smaller teams and let the winner qualify to this. Then they can have every team play on the same dates. This three team tournament... yuck. Toronto plays Montreal on May 13 and then doesn't play again until June because they have to wait for Montreal and Vancouver to play each other (twice). That's a pretty long layoff for such a 'short' tournament.

15. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001

Is this years addition of the tournament over yet?

I seriously have forgotten about this tourney.

Whether this years edition is complete or not, I hope next years version is not so drawn out...

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After being postponed due to swine flu the second leg of the 2008-2009 final will be tomorrow and then the first CONCACAF Champions League will be over. The 2008-2009 edition (August 28, 2008 through May 12, 2009) is 258 days. The 2009-2010 edition (July 28, 2009 through April 29, 2010) will be 276 days. That's still less than the 2009-2010 UEFA Champions League, which will be June 30, 2009 through May 22, 2010 for 327 days. The UEFA Champions League has four more knockout rounds than CONCACAF has.

17. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

can i get a list update please?

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://concacaf.com/competitions/champsleague/qteams09.aspx lists the teams qualified for the 2009-2010 Champions League if that's what you want. 11 teams out of 24 have qualified so far and 3 more will qualify less than a week from now with the two CFU Semifinal winners on May 15 and the CFU third place game winner on May 17 qualifying.

19. lucky4life

lucky4life New Member

Sep 5, 2008

EVAN J,do you know the names of the CFU teams that is trying to qualify

20. fcdallas2314

fcdallas2314 Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Garland, Texas, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  21. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why Honduras? I'm not saying it isn't deserved, but I'm surprised Costa Rica didn't get the call first, or perhaps Nicaragua since they only have 1. You could make a case for Canada, but without a league that's going to be a tough sell. Besides, it'll just open the bitching flood gates for the MLS bashers.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If they gave Nicaragua a second team they would have as many as Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salavdor, Guatemala, and Panama, and Nicaragua doesn't deserve that. Deportivo Saprissa has done well in Champions Cups, but in the first Champions League they finished behind group winning CD Marathon. Both Honduran teams advanced a round and neither Costa Rican team did.

23. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003

Nicaragua may suffer the same fate. Real Esteli had to play Montreal in Honduras last year.

24. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but Nicaragua has some baseball stadiums they can throw a football pitch down on like Rod Carew Stadium in Panama to meet the requirements. Belize's biggest and best stadium is the national stadium which is quite subpar to some of Nicaragua's Baseball Stadiums. And Nicaragua's National Stadium, while a god awful mess is much better than anything Belize has and I believe meets the requirements.

Marion Jones Complex in Belize City - Notice there are no lights. Considering the night time scheduling requirement, this stadium, being the best in the country still doesn't qualify.

[​IMG]

Dennis Martinez Stadium in Managua... rigged for baseball, but is a multi-purpose stadium.

[​IMG]

25. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's just pathetic for the region. I understand that they are some of the poorer countries, but to not have at least one stadium to play in doesn't make sense.