2009/10 Europa League and UEFA CL- French Clubs Thread

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, Aug 7, 2009.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I have a bad feeling that Lille will crack in Turkey. OM are pretty safe unless they implode.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i wated both matches, so different from each other that one could almost have thought they were playing two different sports.

lille-fener was very enjoyable: taut, incisive, clean pressing and until the very end when players were tired very few unforced errors. the ball was on the ground and in play almost the whole time; throwins very few and passes back to the keeper perhaps none.

that all only occured to me while watching the yawner that was copenhagen-marseille. the fecklessness of both sides could only partially be explained by the sorry state of the pitch. the ball was sent out of play constantly, and often inexplicably.

it seemed both teams were using their keepers as their plaque tournante, as an extreme example: backpass to mandanda, clearance to bonnart who passes to cissé in the center circle... who touches the ball twice and passes... back to mandanda!

neither side showed any intention of pressing anywhere near the halfline much less beyond, and yet the game was being hashed up by clumsy fouls.

the scoreline is very flattering to OM, who didn't seem to care at all, witness one ball in the air (from the danish keeper) that came to a player right next to cissé.. who didn't jump for it, didn't even look at it. the only play for the first hour came from a team that hadn't played an official match since the beginning of december. the combination between koné and niang was very nice but it was the first meaningful thing anyone in blue had done to that point.

and OM obviously considered that their duty full done because they simply stopped playing, shameful even in comparison to their lazy performance up to then. they just let copenhagen walk up and get even on a penalty that may have been a harsh interpretation of niang's arm touching the ball but was perfect justice in punishing a team that evidently couldn't be bothered, for even after that it seemed OM was considering 1-1 a good result!

if ben arfa and kaboré coming on changed things the way they did it's even more damning. copenhagen was really such a poor side that just TWO players making an effort (and honestly not looking like thor's thunder themselves) could roll right over them in the last 5 minutes; so quid the rest of the game? this is the team JPP called the greatest lineup a french club has put together since marseille traded him to milan?

now, the LOSC is a different matter. if i was allowed to recruit 3 of their players i wouldn't know whom to pick, i'd want them all. but then, as so often with players signed away from lille, it would be the story of a man who goes into a bar with his talking dog, and cons someone into buying him for $1000... "so you sold me, huh? well, just for that i'll never say another word as long as i live!"

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Living in the US its so hard to watch these games. Im sure Lille-Liverpool next round would be televised though.

4. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hazard, Cabaye and Rami :D I think you already know the good PAF :D

(4 wins in 4 matchs ! :))

5. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you have DirecTV, the Liverpool game will probably be there exclusively.

check out this thread

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and what about balmont (whom we also know!) gervinho and debuchy? (too bad for LOSC's chances these two are out for 6 weeks!)

chedjou's no slouch either: besides being rugged, he may be the fastest sprinter in L1.

the most impressive is how lille can keep renewing the team. who knows? maybe in 2-3 years when rami's at lyon and cabaye's on the chelsea bench (and bastos joins keita in turkey) we'll be talking like this about aubameyang and vandam!

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I hate negative football and I know its not the French way, but Lille need to go into Turkey and just kick the ball around and defend. Dont take any chances. Too risky with all the injuries to try anything special.

8. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who do you think is the best team this season? :confused:

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    not too long ago i said lille... but what to saw about montpellier? a promu looking like they're in the hunt until november OK, but it's march! chapeaux bas!

that said, the end of the season, with the title in sight, is a moment of truth where breeding tells and it's possible both the above teams will buckle. i mean, lyon and bordeaux didn't come out of nowhere and grab the crown: in the 3 seasons preceding their first title lyon was 3rd, 2nd, 2nd with a league cup; for girondins it's two times 2nd and two league cups.

of the pedigreed teams i see OM as being the least reliable, bordeaux as the one losing momentum and OL as the one hitting its stride. but i'm obviously biased.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sorry, i kind of missed the subject!

if you're talking about the europa league i think the LFC - LOSC matchup will tell us a lot. that's the cream of the crop imo.

11. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No, no, you are spot-on in that assessment :D

12. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Goodluck to Lille and OM for tonights matches . Hopefully France will be proud again tonight !

13. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lille beat Liverpool 1-0!!! Now it's Marseille's turn. I know they have the quality to beat Benfica, so let's make it 3 out of 3 for French clubs this week!

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  15. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    OM has just gone a goal down . They've actually played well , Benfica's goalkeeper has denied them away goals .

Will be difficult for OM if the score stays the same ..

Good result for Lille though , Hazard was killing Liverpool .

16. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    GOOOOOOL BEN ARFA !!

1-1 . This will be great for OM to take to the Vélo .

17. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Oh thank god. That away goal will go a long way for them.

18. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    NICE JOB! this is a BIG WEEK FOR FRENCH FOOTBALL !:eek:

19. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  20. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yG1XgpzEbY"]YouTube- Fier d'être Français[/ame]

21. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    UEFA coeffs 2009-2010:
    1) MU
    2) Lyon
    3) Bordeaux

UEFA points scored:
    2004: 13.500
    2010: 13.666

:p

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    as able to watch most of both matches, and once again was more impressed by lille. liverpool is 6th in the EPL right now and the way they looked against the LOSC i doubt they would be better than 6th in L1. very ordinary it wasn't just hazard either, lots of players did well, like balmont, rami and frau.

OM definitely deserved their draw, even a o-1 victory as the goal comes from an inhabitual error from mandanda, but the match was flay in comparison. ben arfa scored on a good header but beside that looked like the hatem of old, always one dribble too many. lucho clumsily missed a chance but looked pretty good, as did cisse, another player i generally don't rate. on the other hand both niang and cheyrou were a notch below, and taiwo was dreadful. and we can alll breathe a sigh of relief, le petit matthieu still knows how to fall down. diawara and m'bia looked very solid together.

23. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Matthieu Valbuena is the player i used to counter the "You love all french players" crap i get from my friends. I can't stand that guy.

24. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Alou Diarra is a ********ing retard !

Got himself sent off , totally ridiculous from FCGB's captain . Olympiakos had a player sent off earlier , now it's 10 v 10 . :rolleyes:

All Olympiakos need to do is score one more time and they're through .

25. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And Chamakh has a free run on goal but over runs the ball right into the GK .

Man , I feel an Olympiakos goal coming up .