2009/10 EPL Player of the year

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Serengeti_Boy, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Who do you back to win this year's Player of the year?

Personally I choose Didier Drogba, for his amazing season which he has scored 25 goals in 28 games with 8 assists along the way.

Who do you choose?

2. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I couldn' seperate the two of them, to be fair.

I do think that Drogba is playing in a stronger team, and that makes life slightly easier for him, but both have pulled up trees this term.

Rooneys contribution is beyond queston. His scoring and assists figures may or may not suggest a world class player, but it's more thasn just assists and goals he's provided this term. His over all play, at times, has been phenomenal..........

3. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    no brainer...Wayne Rooney.. Led all of Europe in goals scored during World Cup qualifying campaign, and has followed that this season with Manchester United with an outstanding goal scoring blitz, also showing his leadership skills.

4. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney's getting 1000x more credit than Drogba is for some strange reason. With 25 goals and 11 assists IN THE PREM what makes Rooney so much better? Not to mention Drogba doesn't even take penalties. He'd very arguably be at 30 goals if he did.

And no, it isn't a "no brainer". How could it possibly be a "no brainer" when one player clearly has statistics that are on par with the other, and also has a much better number of assists?

But I do have no doubt Rooney will get it because he is English, it's his "breakout" season with United, and just about every person on the face of the planet is swinging on his nuts.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No wonder he's injured then.

6. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Because Drogba is playing in a much stronger side than Rooney, would be my guess.

Granted, there have been no truly outstanding teams in the league this year, with Man Utd losing 7 games and Chelsea losing 6 to date, but in my opinion, Chelsea are the much better side, man for man. Your central midfield alone makes you the better side, on paper at least. Drogba sets up plenty of goals, but who is Rooney going to set up? Valencia and Nani? Given that we play one up for 99% of our games, and our central midfield seldom ventures any further forward than the centre circle, Rooneys options are more limited than those that Drogba is often presented with.

Rooneys record with England this season also makes him stand out. As I say, it's a tight affair, and Rooneys nationality will undoubtedly swing any close voting.

What I don't want to hear is miserbale moaning from ABU'sand Chelsea suporters claming he "only wun it 'cuz hes english, like", as that would be to tragically under-rate his contribution in an effort to promote Drogbas case, which hardly requires any promotion, given his performances.

7. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    It's really close between Drogba and Rooney, I chose Didier because of his overall play and contribution apart from goals, he sets up and also defends and helps the game flow. He's showed up well against the big sides and small ones too. If he wins the FA Cup and Prem, he would be the man sho guided Chelsea there for most part of his team's season.

Rooney'gets my second vote, but Drogba's been marginally better IMO. Team progression plays a part in my vote unless the loosing player has been phenomenally better than the winning one, so Didier wins it for me. However, I think Rooney will get it due to his nationality whether people would admit it or not, and like Lamps>Gerrard said this being his debut year and the amount of hype he's gotten for being England's hope to win the WC.

8. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you ever watch Rooney play? What does he NOT do other than play keeper? The guy is everywhere on the pitch, incredible workrate, vision, and scores buckets of goals.

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney, as Chelsea have performed too well without Drogba. ManYoo without Rooney just look average.

10. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great argument and logic there.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Plus, Drogba's a cunt.

1 person likes this.
  12. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I didn't say he does not do all of that. I simply vote DD because of his overall better season and contribution whereas Rooney would win on the basis of being English/breakthrough season/not playing for a star studded side.

13. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is my fear. That people will attribute Rooney winning because of these aspects, rathet than his exceptional play, goal delivery and over all play.

I can see it coming a mile off.............

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There's also the fact that Player of the Year awards are total gubbins anyway.

15. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know we know that, but don't tell everyone else.......

16. LikMoon258

LikMoon258 New Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Rooney undoubtedly

18. free bet

free bet New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Have to agree, Rooney then Drogba...

19. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    As Giggs winning last year showed. The system is flawed due to the timing of the vote. The setup is basically saying - who cares what happens in the last few games of the season, we'll ignore those crucial deciding games that determine who wins the Premiership, FA Cup and the 2 European Trophies! Those performances will count for nothing wrt Player of the Season.

It's like giving a Film or Book a review without seeing the ending!

20. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Pretty good analogy, that. The timing is curious ansd to this day no one understands why, in this age of technology and communication, it still isn't possible to have these awards voted for towards the "business end" of the season.