2008 U.S. Open Cup [R]

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by jeffconn, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from what Ive been told by the Battery FO is that all four teams place a sealed enveloped bid before the semis take place. The two teams that dont advance will have their envelops torn up and the match will go to the highest of the final two teams. There will be no rebid for the final, so I imagine that no decision has been made yet.

2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting thing about bidding for this year's final is that all 4 teams know for certain whether they'd be hosting an MLS team or not. If an MLS team wins the right to host the final, they'll definitely have a USL-1 team coming to the stadium. If one of the USL teams is hosting, then they can definitely look forward to a visit from an MLS team.

With all the extra soccer going on in DC and NE (Superliga last month, and now the Champions League upcoming), I wouldn't be surprised if they put in a low bid knowing that a USL-1 team would be the opponent in the final. It's going to be tough to get a crowd in either of those 2 places. Meanwhile, the USL teams ought to be able to sell a lot of tickets for a USOC final against an MLS team. (Although maybe the thought of seeing an MLS team in Seattle no longer holds the luster it used to.)

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, we should just lose ALL of our matches so we don't have to worry about playing in all these pesky tournaments....

Kind of like....RedBull NY a.k.a. The Superclub!

:D

4. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    If you look closely to the FC website, you will see that there is a sentence that states, " (Schedule Subject to Change) "

I see both Joe Public FC & New England Revolution working this one out. Especially since the Revs are in the process of a Quadruple Trophy season.

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff has a paragraph about when the Open Cup final will be.

6. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like we won't hear about the final until after the semifinals are played. The two teams (and maybe even FSC) will need to work together to find an acceptable date that doesn't lead to too much more fixture congestion.

On the plus side, that'll give the host an extra week or two to sell tickets to the final. This could be one of those rare occasions where a date rescheduling actually leads to a bigger crowd.

7. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
  8. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have just done this and saved everybody the trouble of clicking the link:

"The US Soccer Federation today announced the potential venues for the US Open Cup Final. If Seattle beat Charleston Battery on August 12th, the final will be coming to QWest Field no matter who provides the opposition. If DC United win, the final will be heading to QWest Field on September 3rd (kick off 8pm). If New England are victorious, QWest Field will see the final on September 15th. Kick off would be at 7pm. Charleston Battery would host New England on the 22nd but would have to travel to the nation's capital on September 3rd to play DC."

10. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is actually an interesting final, for once.

13. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year: "Go Battery!"

Next year: "Go MLS!"*

*=I reserve the right to change that sentiment should FC Dallas make the Final. :D

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure I'll wear my Charleston Battery Ted Chronopolous jersey while watching the final Sept. 3.

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be a fantastic final. RFK has to break 15,833 to beat the biggest crowd the Battery have played in front of (Last August 28th (I think) at Portland). Shouldn't be too tough, but can't look like last night. I'll be cheering them both on, but hoping for a Battery win because I'd LOVE for USL to have another year with Champions League reps.

16. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And United win this one by a score of 2-1 to capture the Lamar Hunt trophy for a second time.

17. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to DC United and its fans. Nice work. It was fun to watch and Charleston made it interesting. One of the best cup finals in a while.