2008:OH brother here it comes...

Discussion in 'Elections' started by zverskiy yobar, Nov 3, 2004.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who thinks that Democratic voters are going to nominate Hillary Rodham-Clinton for President is out of their minds. She might run, but she's not getting the nomination. She's already despised by a significant chunk of the electorate, plus that whole "liberal Senator from a northeastern state" thing didn't really work out too well for us this time around.

I'd probably put John Edwards as the early favorite.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Wesley Clark and Evan Bayh would be my dream ticket for 2008, with either one heading it.

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have noticed in the past, that the vast majority of the people who bring up Hillary are conservatives, yet they say that Democrats are the ones who want her.

Last time this got mentioned, BenReilly was the only one who spoke up in favor of Hillary. The rest of us agree that she would seal the deal for whichever hand-picked neocon gets the $300 million war chest in 2008.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hilary would kick some major reep ass. She would be a great candidate who can really fire up the base. I wouldn't count her out for 08.

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She would fire up "their" base 100x whatever she would do for "our" base.

I held my nose to vote for Kerry, but I doubt I would vote for Hillary. If she gets nominated, we get what we deserve.

Edit to add: name one "red" state that would turn "blue" if Hillary runs. Now, name the "blue" states that may turn "red" if Hillary runs. I think you misunderestimate how much people dislike her.

Edit again to add: I'm going to start using Bushisms like "misunderestimate" at any available opportunity.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I cannot see Hillary as the presidential canidate. Maybe as the VP.

7. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Edwards left his job as Senator. What's he going to do for the next three years? I think he'll be politically irrelevent by 2008.

Quango

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    What about Joe Biden?

9. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That works for me.

I wanted Wesley Clark over Kerry or Dean in the first place.

Wesley Clark would appeal to the red "Jesusland" states, being a former General and hailing from Arkansas.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way does Hillary get the nomination. She might run, but no way does the Democratic party throw up another prayer.

11. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I love Hillary!

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably true. Much depends on how he spends the next few years.

13. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    JSC, Houston, TX
    Edwards's strengths: excellent speaker, being a Southerner may bring some of those states over. Edwards's weaknesses: now out of office, trial law is not a popular occupation. Clark may also be out of sight by then. The main need right now is for a moderate Democrat senator or governor to become influential enough to matter. I'm not sure how that will happen, but it's what the party needs. Preferably not one from the Northeast or California, as they would struggle to win over any Red states. West, Midwest, and South are all viable. Obama or Reid would be nice. Respectable, religious guys that can relate to normal people in suburban and rural areas. That was where Kerry came up shortest.

14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Edwards is going to become a morning Shock Jock. So that'll create a nice support base for him.

Re: Wesley Big Boi Clark, he needs to work hard on his public speaking. If Kerry was stiff as a zombie, then Clark is [Dan Rather] as wobbly as a one-legged duck walking down the back of a greased pig [/Dan Rather].

Not to be Mr. Style over Subtance, but we need a Messenger.
    Big Time.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    OK, run him as veep with Bayh as the Prez. Works for me, and worked for Bush. No one has recently mistaken Cheney for Mr. Charisma.

16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I voted for Kerry but there aint no way I'm voting for Hilary. SHe wont get the nomination anyway.

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If Edwards wants it, he is going to have to do something that keeps him in the public eye and gives him more expierence with government. He could challenge Dole when she is up for reelection, but if he fails in that, he is done. Actually I think none of the people who ran for the nomination will get it in 2008, just too much bad karma. I would vote for Hillary, but I wouldn't want her to be the candidate because she won't win. It won't be Obama (not enough expierence) though he probably could end up in the Veep spot. I expect that whoever gets it then is a relative unknown now...how many people thought Clinton would get it before '92?

As for who the Reeps could with, that will be interesting. Let's first consider the ones in that article: Frist, possible, but he hasn't been able to really expolit the advantage in the Senate, it will depend heavily on the next few year. McCain everybody's favorite, but I think he will be too old and I think he will have burned too many bridge. Allen won't surrvive reelection in 2006, he has done nothing in the eyes of many Virginians and will probably be going up against the very popular Mark Warner. Santorum is a possibility, but he is a nut. Mention abortion and watch him go, it makes for good theatre. That said, the neo-cons would probably like him. Hagel, Giuliani, Pataki and Romney are all pretty moderate from what I know of them, so I doubt the neo-cons will let them get it. It will probably end up being Jeb Bush, assuming he wants it.

18. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo! Even though 1 or 2 of these Senator/House Rep choices will enter the primary, compose a list of the 24 (?) Democratic governors there are now, narrow it down to who will still be a gov in 4 years, and I think you'll find the nominee.

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed - I'm guessing JEB

McCain gets the nomination over the neocon's dead bodies
    Guiliani, now matter how hard he tries to court national republicans will always be an EYEtalian Roman Catholic Pro-Choice Divorcee from NY who just happens to be strong on crime and the Middle East. Damn I almost descirbed Mario Cuomo.
    Pataki has all the charisma of a stone.

don't know much about the others.

4 years is a while. for the dems Let's see if Richardson doesn't decide to give it a go. I want a governor this time around.

20. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edwards is road kill. No way the party nominates him in '08.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I would NEVER vote for Hilary Clinton.

Evan Bayh is a very solid choice.

I'd prefer if they nominated a governor though.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hillary wouldn't even get a speech on the convention stage at this point. She's a liability.

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I have no idea why some people here like Clark. He's completely lacking in political skill. It would be like an NBA tream drafting a guy because he's tall even though he can't dribble or shoot (insert Shaq jokes).

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I think Hillary would be a great President, and could do pretty well in the Democratic primaries, but I think she'd have a hell of a tough time winning the general election.