2008 General NPSL Discussion

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by ButlerBob, Jan 7, 2008.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the name would be Ambassadors, and probably linked to Tony Igwe and his World Ambassador Soccer Academy (WASA). Here is a link: http://www.wasasoccer.com/

But I personally haven't heard of any NPSL or PDL announcements from that area. Except that the SF Seals played one game at Chabot College last season.

2. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see your point in that. It was another avenue for them to receive good competition. So in essence yes the NPSL did help them in their development, coupled with the players university experience.

As for the Ambassadors I'll let you know.

3. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My point is, even if these playes hadnt played in the NPSL they would still have gotten where they are now. I played with one of these players and against the other and believe me, playing one season in a now defunct team had nothing to do with them getting to Europe. I wish in the future players who only play in NPSL and not in College could do the same.

Kinda like Luke Sassano or all the other Frogs players who got drafted, in their player bios it doesnt say SJ Frogs it says their College teams. The Frogs get no credit.

4. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    That's OK. those kids don't write their own releases. We're all the sum of our experiences. I've played and coached the game for about 43 years now. I can honestly say that I picked up something from everywhere I've been. Not every coach was like my dad or Walter Bahr an not every team was the best, but they have all helped me get to where I am now (whatever the hell that is).

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news is that Real San Jose will be back in the Bay Area next year if their website it to be believed. They're already taking 2009 season ticket requests. Might pick up a few of the San Jose Frogs cast off's both players and fans now that the PDL Frogs are gone.

6. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Frogs didn't have any fans... that was one of the main reasons they folded. Picking up some of their players would be a good idea, though, they were a quality side.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they had 200 dedicated fans. If RSJ can add half of those they'd be a good addition.

8. UnitedNut

UnitedNut Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Towson, MD USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the story with Maryland United FC? They were listed as Charm City FC and Maryland United FC on the NPSL site for a while. (If you click on the team name Charm City FC you see the description for Maryland United!) Now I see a notice in the Potomac Soccer Wire that they are for sale:

"National Premier Soccer League franchise for sale in Maryland
    National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) franchise for sale in Maryland for 2009 Season. Maryland United FC competes in the North East region against Jersey, PA, NY teams. This is an established, elite adult men's soccer franchise that finished third this past season."

So is Charm City FC gone?

9. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well Maryland United and Charm City are two different groups. There was some internal strife between the groups that formed MD United and so a group left with the players and formed Charm City about 2 or 3 weeks into the season, and MD United which had paid all the fees wanted to be in for this year.

That's as far as my knowledge goes though.

10. Badgerspleen

Badgerspleen New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Sandy Hook, CT
    Any thoughts on expansion plans for 2009?

11. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes there should be 16 teams in the Northeast, 9 teams in the Northwest. The midwest looks to have 6, Southeast should have 6, and Southwest, is looking to have 6.

The league should have 30-40 teams next year. We have approved a couple of groups already, and the press releases are being prepared, but until they are ready to come out, I can't confirm anything.

12. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Here's a highlight film of Rocket City Utd taking on the Treasure Coast Galleons for those of you in need a little NPSL action during the long offseason.

Rocket City simply tore us apart.... easily the worst match played in the history of the Galleons. Our keeper had the game of his life and made the scoreline look A LOT better then what it could of been. RCU has a great group of players and staff, wish'em all the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZONjux4KM

13. Badgerspleen

Badgerspleen New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Sandy Hook, CT
    Any chance there may be a team in Connecticut?

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Tony DiCiccio had a team in Farmington?

15. Badgerspleen

Badgerspleen New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Sandy Hook, CT
    I just wonder because it seems like his energy is more towards Boston now.

16. KeithKo81

KeithKo81 New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Anyone know about a possible team in Ohio for 2009? Thanks!
    Keith

17. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as of right now, no I don't know of any teams in OH coming in. There are a few contacts I am reaching out to that have expressed interest from there though.

18. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So any more news about teams for next year? How do the various regions look?

19. revsfan44

revsfan44 Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Providence / Amherst
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is a group trying to bring soccer to Providence, Rhode Island:

http://www.mysoccerclubusa.com/Home

It's made up of paying members, $50 each, and says they are working on a team for 2009 in the NPSL. I've sent an email to the head of the northeast region, but have yet to hear back.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting idea. Not unlike MyFootballClub.co.uk. But a bit closer to home ;)

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a guess, but I am not sure the NPSL is excited to embrace them. But if they got the money, then go for it.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how they have enough. They can't have more than 75,000. That's not enought to run even an NPSL team.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Mohican Valley United NPSL says they will run on a budget of $35,000 for their first year. So anythings possible.

24. revsfan44

revsfan44 Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Providence / Amherst
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i do think there is a small group of elites funding the club from the backroom. i think that the whole membership thing will only be part of the budget.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suppose that makes sense. But then the whole membership thing is kind of a sham then compared to something like myfootballclub.co.uk.